Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I saw that about EARONS earlier on today. Absolutely mindblowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Just read that the east area rapist/ original night stalker/ Golden State killer has been caught. He's been mentioned a few times on this thread. Huge news

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/state/south-carolina/article209776449.html

Edit: he has also admitted to being the Visalia ransacker, which was always a theory but never proven and the trophies he took from his victims are being recovered from his home. Wow, I never thought this guy would be caught. So happy for his victims to know that their attacker is behind bars after all these years.

Press conf just started
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155479128977039&id=49075262038

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Jeepers. Have just read up in Wikipedia about the Golden State killer and the Visalia Ransacker.
    A thoroughly nasty bit of work and I hope he gets the comeuppance he deserves.

By a very weird coincidence, I first read about the Golden State guy just yesterday - because I read where someone had spooked themselves into a state of alarm after reading that book "I am in the dark" - by an amateur detective who investigated the grisly story in great detail and became obsessed with it.

Oops - wrong title: this is the book

https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062319807/ill-be-gone-in-the-dark

My friend had read it and spooked herself into a complete tizzy, couldn't sleep for bumps in the night, etc. What a weird coincidence!

PS well, she will be delighted that he's been caught.
    I must recommend that she reads another Unsolved Mystery book, and maybe they'll catch the next one too... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The whereabouts of John Harrison's H6 pocket chronometer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Marie Celeste story always stuck with me after reading about it in primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Jeepers. Have just read up in Wikipedia about the Golden State killer and the Visalia Ransacker.
    A thoroughly nasty bit of work and I hope he gets the comeuppance he deserves.

By a very weird coincidence, I first read about the Golden State guy just yesterday - because I read where someone had spooked themselves into a state of alarm after reading that book "I am in the dark" - by an amateur detective who investigated the grisly story in great detail and became obsessed with it.

You should check the podcast Casefile they did a massive 3 parter on it all. Mind blowing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Oops - wrong title: this is the book

https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062319807/ill-be-gone-in-the-dark

My friend had read it and spooked herself into a complete tizzy, couldn't sleep for bumps in the night, etc. What a weird coincidence!

PS well, she will be delighted that he's been caught.
    I must recommend that she reads another Unsolved Mystery book, and maybe they'll catch the next one too... :-)

I'm in the middle of reading that, will give it a different light now knowing he's been caught. It's a shame the author, Michelle McNamara died before she got to see it. The book really was her life's work. Her husband, Patton Oswalt, has said he wants to meet him to ask him the questions she never got to

Just watched the press conference there. They said he was "very surprised" to be getting arrested. That must have felt so satisfying for the arresting officers. He really thought he'd gotten away with it, the bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Did the police say how they got his DNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Not in the press conference no. They did reference a California state law which permits collection of DNA from felony crimes and some misdemeanours though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just read that the east area rapist/ original night stalker/ Golden State killer has been caught. He's been mentioned a few times on this thread. Huge news

Edit: he has also admitted to being the Visalia ransacker, which was always a theory but never proven and the trophies he took from his victims are being recovered from his home. Wow, I never thought this guy would be caught. So happy for his victims to know that their attacker is behind bars after all these years.

The actor Patton Oswalt's late wife, Michelle McNamara, wrote a book which they're saying helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They said they got a "discarded object" or something to that effect during the press conference and were able to compare the DNA on that to EARONS. They didn't say how he came to be on their radar in the first place though, only that his name had never come up until 6 days ago
    razorblunt wrote: »
    The actor Patton Oswalt's late wife, Michelle McNamara, wrote a book which they're saying helped.

They were asked about the book and categorically said that it had nothing to with the suspect being arrested and it didn't provide any new information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

The Annecy shootings is a puzzling case and at this stage will probably never be solved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annecy_shootings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Thinking Sideways Podcast have completed an episode on the Annecy shootings,well worth listening to and have some interesting theory’s on who they believed carried out the shootings

And I still wonder what happened to Annie McCarrick and Jojo Dollard.

We can speculate and guess...but there isn't really a crumb of evidence to show what happened to them.
    It would be such a comfort to their families to even have a body to grieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

Thinking Sideways Podcast have completed an episode on the Annecy shootings,well worth listening to and have some interesting theory’s on who they believed carried out the shootings

Nice one thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a listen to it in work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Can you provide a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

And I still wonder what happened to Annie McCarrick and Jojo Dollard.

We can speculate and guess...but there isn't really a crumb of evidence to show what happened to them.
    It would be such a comfort to their families to even have a body to grieve.

JoJo's sister Mary died last week not knowing what happened to JoJo. Deirdre Jacob is another young woman who went missing and no clue about what really happened to her too. Fiona Pender and unfortunately the list doesn't end there. Someone out there knows something but even an anonymous phonecall would help but no that's beyond some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just read that myself that's incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sonic85 wrote: »
    The Annecy shootings is a puzzling case and at this stage will probably never be solved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annecy_shootings
    The cyclist looks suspect, and possibly connected to Saad through nuclear business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

the_syco wrote: »
    The cyclist looks suspect .....

:eek: Christ! I only looked at the first bit. But, how the hell does some 'Bloke with a Blog' type manage to come up with such compelling stuff combined police forces seem to have missed?

Hardly just some random 'Bloke with a Bike', was he ....?

And, yes; Unloading, what was it, seven rounds into an unarmed target always seemed a bit overkill, to me. Three to incapacitate him? Then a double Double Tap? How bloody dead did this guy need to be?!

Doesn't sit right, does it. Like 'Suicides' who lock their own bodies inside holdalls ..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

KKkitty wrote: »
    JoJo's sister Mary died last week not knowing what happened to JoJo. Deirdre Jacob is another young woman who went missing and no clue about what really happened to her too. Fiona Pender and unfortunately the list doesn't end there. Someone out there knows something but even an anonymous phonecall would help but no that's beyond some people.

They think Fiona Pender was a domestc.They just couldnt get the proof

They said they got a "discarded object" or something to that effect during the press conference and were able to compare the DNA on that to EARONS. They didn't say how he came to be on their radar in the first place though, only that his name had never come up until 6 days ago

They were asked about the book and categorically said that it had nothing to with the suspect being arrested and it didn't provide any new information

Damn you Patton! He himself said it had!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Regarding the Golden State Killer

https://coed.com/2018/04/25/who-is-joseph-james-deangelo-jr-serial-killer-suspect-golden-state-east-area-rapist/
    https://everipedia.org/wiki/joseph-james-deangelo-jr/

The sketches do look like him.
    I think this one https://snag.gy/vYSI5x.jpg looks like him here in this pic

Although in the everpedia link they seem to favour the Navy pic with this one
    I am very, very poor with facial recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Who killed Karen in Fair City

KKkitty wrote: »

I read that excellent book about the missing women in Ireland, my impression was its known who it likely was but they just can't join the dots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

akelly02 wrote: »
    Who killed Karen in Fair City

Who keeps Fair City on the air

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Who keeps Fair City on the air

Stonecutters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Riskymove wrote: »
    Stonecutters
    We do, we doooooooo!