Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would i get fish stock?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi im looking for fish stock for making chowder at home.. cant find it anywhere.... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you could be arsed, make your own. Unlike other stocks it'll only take a little under an hour.
    Fish bones, bouquet garni, roughly chopped carrot and onion. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 40 mins and then strain.

Job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Thanks everyone. i tried M&S galway and they dont have any.. will try tesco but i think i looked there before but will have another look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My local one started stocking (hehe) it about a month ago, along with ham, and lamb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Get some fish bones and heads from the fish monger.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

http://www.tasteofthesea.ie/ in Glasnevin sell small frozen blocks of fish stock. Good selection of other fish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

Are you not cooking the fish before adding it?

If i'm in a rush at making the chowder, I boil the filets of fish in some water (not too much) along with an onion. Then I keep the liquid and use it as the stock. I've heard people who use a cheat of adding some crab sticks to the liquid to make it a bit more fishier (but I hate them).

If i have time, I boil the bones, heads and some fillets (Skin on) together and strain through muslin cloth.

Advertisement