Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Working in Belfast

Options
  • 21-08-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering a job in Belfast and as such was wondering where is the best place for a southerner like me to live.

I'm happy to commute from a southern border location and think I would prefer this so I'm close to Dublin but where would be the best location?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Time lost is lost forever. ;)
    And that's what you'll be doing by commuting, have seen traffic on the motorway at peak times??

So if you're moving house then you should move to Belfast, makes no sense for you to move to Louth.

I stayed in East Belfast around Cregagh Rd and it was perfectly fine, lovely people. Though I never went to any of the pubs, only went drinking in the city centre or around the the university

If you're going to South Belfast then Dunmurray has commuter trains and is a nice area

Belfast is quite small and compact, easily walkable

Whereabouts is the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭count66

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - if I do take the job it would be based in the Titanic quarter which is quite central.

I don't mind commuting too much as my current commute is over an hour and a half and that is via bus so doing so by car would be an improvement.

If I did decide to commute are there any nice towns around Belfast that I should consider?

If possible I would like to be equidistant to Dublin as I have family there.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It sounds like one of the regional forums might be a better place for this thread, given that it's not about employment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You'll get good advice in Belfast City forum OP

These questions get asked all the time :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=477

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved from work/jobs

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    You'll get good advice in Belfast City forum OP

These questions get asked all the time :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=477

Cheers mikemac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I'd recommend East Belfast too as it's on the right side of town for Titanic, rents are reasonable and I lived there :D I'd avoid the more 'inner' city parts of it and maybe head toward the Upper Newtownards Rd or around Sydenham (near the city airport). It's traditionally considered a predominantly unionist area but it's becoming more mixed now and I never had an ounce of trouble there.

If you want to be closer to the Dublin end of things you might like Lisburn (though it's the opposite side of the city to Titanic but only a few mins drive across). Traffic can be pretty heavy coming into the city from Lisburn if you're on a standard 9-5 work day though.

pow wow wrote: »
    I'd recommend East Belfast too as it's on the right side of town for Titanic, rents are reasonable and I lived there :D I'd avoid the more 'inner' city parts of it and maybe head toward the Upper Newtownards Rd or around Sydenham (near the city airport). It's traditionally considered a predominantly unionist area but it's becoming more mixed now and I never had an ounce of trouble there.

If you want to be closer to the Dublin end of things you might like Lisburn (though it's the opposite side of the city to Titanic but only a few mins drive across). Traffic can be pretty heavy coming into the city from Lisburn if you're on a standard 9-5 work day though.

Thanks for the advice Pow Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

I moved up to Belfast in May, lived here for 6 months last year, and for work reasons was back down south. Lived in Titanic Quarter last year, was lovely, in East Belfast now, and it's perfect, close to town, 15mins drive/cycle at rush hour to Titanic Quarter, as I also work there. Belfast is beautiful and always has so much going on, it's tiny! :)

Sparkle wrote: »
    I moved up to Belfast in May, lived here for 6 months last year, and for work reasons was back down south. Lived in Titanic Quarter last year, was lovely, in East Belfast now, and it's perfect, close to town, 15mins drive/cycle at rush hour to Titanic Quarter, as I also work there. Belfast is beautiful and always has so much going on, it's tiny! :)

Cool - my work is in the Titanic Quarter so looking at places there but they are expensive!

Was also looking at Windsor as well - what do you think of there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

count66 wrote: »
    Cool - my work is in the Titanic Quarter so looking at places there but they are expensive!

Was also looking at Windsor as well - what do you think of there?

I would not necessarily recommend Windsor area. If you mean the area between the Lisburn Road and Windor Park stadium there can be two extremes.

On one hand, some streets are decked out with the various flags and red and white bunting and you may encounter visits from people looking for "a contribution for the band" or sh1t like that. You can guess who they might be... I would particularly avoid such streets if one was brown or yellow in colour, or distinctly foreign looking, unless of course you were born fireproof.

On the other hand there are streets which are pefectly fine, I know plenty of people who own or rent there. Still, I wouldn't personally!

Just do your homework. Avoid anywhere with flags, painted footpaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

+1. There's a couple of nice spots in Windsor but it wouldn't be my first choice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭6679

I am from the South, working in the Titanic Quarter and I also have a lot of ties to Dublin after going to College there.

I would not recommend commuting from the south you will spend hours in traffic (I was late on my first day because of it.).

Do you research on where to live as I live in a area with Union Jacks on every lamppost (as they put them up for the 12th but never take them down) but other then that its a very nice area wouldn't have lived there if the lads in work hadn't recommended it.

Rent is a lot cheaper in Belfast then Dublin. I know lads paying £310 in Titanic Quarter apartments (2 mins walk from work) and that amount is considered expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

You may as well move to Belfast if you're going to be working there. Dublin is still only an hour and a half away by car. There's plenty of nice places along the Lisburn and Malone Roads, though you might want to avoid 'studenty' areas! I used to live in Windsor, had the Irish reg car parked outside the house all the time and never had any problems. That being said I would avoid streets with painted kerbs, bunting, flags and the like. Although that is just a rule of thumb, the presence of flags etc doesn't mean it's a bad place to live. Perhaps rent a place close to work and when you settle in and know the lay of the land a bit more you could look for some place more long term?

Advertisement