Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preparing ground for grass?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

I have a patch of ground in an orchard that I want to sow grass seeds in. There were a lot of weeds and scrub grass there so I gave it a few sprays with weedkiller over the past few months.
    Most of the weeds are gone , however the ground is very difficult to dig I am not sure if this is bacasue it is close to the base of trees , there seems to be a lot of roots in the ground, so I was wondering what options I have now that manually digging may be difficult ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Its hard to get grass to grow sometimes in shady areas and under trees, as well as the roots being a problem. It could help if you take away the dead grass and weeds as the roots may still be there, then try using a fork to loosen the soil a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

alternatively topdress (25-50mm) the area with a mixture of soil & compost and sew grass seed. Will be important to water area until seed germinates or prepare ground and sew during a prolonged wet period (early Spring or late Sept/early Oct).

Advertisement