Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full time Graphic Design Course Advice !

Options
  • 21-08-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi folks

I’ve been researching Degree/Master IT courses for next year as I have a low level diploma in electronics. While I think I have some information on those courses I haven’t decided whether it is the right track for me. I have always had a creative streak and a love of digital graphic design mainly on Mac’s so

I’m looking for some advice on Degree/Master courses in this area. For 10 years now I’ve been using Photoshop Premier, After-effects, Dreamweaver and various GUI’s on imaging as well as a couple of websites designing some original images content (Corporate ID's) and SEO etc.Would love to get my teeth into 3Ds Max or Maya. One of my hobbies is photography using an Eos plus a few extra lenses filters etc. so graphic design is where my heart is.

Can anyone recommend a Degree/Master course as I have spent many hours looking through courses and the graphic design job market? Is there much of a job market for creative people?

Appreciate the info folk’s Dj..........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

For an undergrad degree, theres Visual Communication in DIT or IADT

Masters; Griffith College do a masters in Applied Digital Media

Also DIT do a Creative Digital Media masters

Look on Qualifax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Hi folks

I’ve been researching Degree/Master IT courses for next year as I have a low level diploma in electronics. While I think I have some information on those courses I haven’t decided whether it is the right track for me. I have always had a creative streak and a love of digital graphic design mainly on Mac’s so

I’m looking for some advice on Degree/Master courses in this area. For 10 years now I’ve been using Photoshop Premier, After-effects, Dreamweaver and various GUI’s on imaging as well as a couple of websites designing some original images content (Corporate ID's) and SEO etc.Would love to get my teeth into 3Ds Max or Maya. One of my hobbies is photography using an Eos plus a few extra lenses filters etc. so graphic design is where my heart is.

Can anyone recommend a Degree/Master course as I have spent many hours looking through courses and the graphic design job market? Is there much of a job market for creative people?

Appreciate the info folk’s Dj..........
    CIT do a course in multimedia which is excellent for your needs, they also do an MA in media design.

BA in Multimedia: http://www.cit.ie/course/CR%20112
    MA in Media design: http://media.cit.ie/mamediadesign/

The media and digital design industries are a growing industry that is worth getting into and are relitively well paid professions. The courses are hard work as they are multi-disciplinary and demanding, but worth it if you love the work.

I did both courses and am gainfully employed doing work that I love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Hey Deliverance, did you like the Media Design course in CIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Question - there's two most obvious paths you could take.
    1. Try become a 'design technologist' or front-end developer. This is someone who knows programming and appreciates good design, but doesn't do much hands on design themselves. Instead they work with designers in a team to make cool stuff. This would be a bit easier from your background.
    2. Try become an actual designer yourself. If you do this, try find a course that teaches the least possible about technology and software. All the MAs in Multimedia and Digital Media tend to be more tech focused than I suspect you need. A pure Graphic Design/Visual communication course would be more challenging and more beneficial to you, though harder to get into. Real design is about skwtching, drawing, concept generation, and only the end of it is translating those ideas to a computer. Remember technology is just a tool.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Thanks very much folks i'm digesting as much information as I can at the moment so as to pick the best course for me. I'm planning to apply in the next few weeks for next September so research research, research at the moment.

Thanks again all................Dj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I'm also looking for a similar course in galway be it plc or undergraduate as I am looking too start a new career any advice appreciated

smyths wrote: »
    I'm also looking for a similar course in galway be it plc or undergraduate as I am looking too start a new career any advice appreciated

Id consider the one at CIT or Tralee, it's just to far away for me as i'm near Dundalk..:mad: I think its one of the best ones in the country.

Could any of you experienced folks comment on the course below? Anyone know anything about it. Seems very broad.

DKIT (Bachelor of Arts in Communications in Creative Multimedia)

Cheers Dj...........

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Id consider the one at CIT or Tralee, it's just to far away for me as i'm near Dundalk..:mad: I think its one of the best ones in the country.

Too far away for me also!

Advertisement