Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much would you expect to pay for this build.

• 21-08-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, learnt a great load since first thinking I would get the beone pearl.

I've been to cyclebike at st.mary's abbey behind the jervis center and one of the guy's there suggested I could get a brandless frame from them as they've started doing them.

So basically I gave him a list and he told me he'd have a quote for me tomorrow.

what would you expect to pay for the following.

Brandless Alu frame.
    Brandless Carbon forks.
    Sram Rival groupset with double crankset.
    Mavic Askium wheelset (Does sram fit them?).
    And BBB headset and bars.

Looking into a lot of different options like getting the frameset and buying the groupset if it works out cheaper that way but Pretty sure I'd rather buy from an actual shop for the back-up support incase something goes awire.

If anyone has a different solution of the same quality tis much apprectiated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Crow92 wrote: »
    Brandless Alu frame.
    Brandless Carbon forks.
    These could cost anything from 100-400 euro. I think you'd normally do well to get an alu frame/carbon fork for about 300.
    Sram Rival groupset with double crankset.
    The cheapest I've seen this going for is around 500, probably on shinybikes.
    Mavic Askium wheelset (Does sram fit them?).
    150-200 euro, and yes.
    And BBB headset and bars.
    About 20 quid for a cheap headset, same for the bars.

Don't forget that you also need a seatpost, saddle, stem, tubes, tyres and bartape to have a bike equivalent to what you would take home. And to get it built (unless you want to do this yourself, in which case you'll need all the tools).

It's probably cheaper to buy something like this (who can guess what it is without hovering on the link :P), which is very hard to beat for the money. I have one, as do many other people here, and we all think they're awesome :D

Other options of a similar nature:
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2105 (if you really want alu)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-cayo-105-ltd-2011/

It's never cheaper to buy all the parts separately. You can always take a bike into any LBS for repair. If they won't do it, take your money somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Coronal wrote: »
    These could cost anything from 100-400 euro. I think you'd normally do well to get an alu frame/carbon fork for about 300.

The cheapest I've seen this going for is around 500, probably on shinybikes.

150-200 euro, and yes.

About 20 quid for a cheap headset, same for the bars.

Don't forget that you also need a seatpost, saddle, stem, tubes, tyres and bartape to have a bike equivalent to what you would take home. And to get it built (unless you want to do this yourself, in which case you'll need all the tools).

It's probably cheaper to buy something like this (who can guess what it is without hovering on the link :P), which is very hard to beat for the money. I have one, as do many other people here, and we all think they're awesome :D

Other options of a similar nature:
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2105 (if you really want alu)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-cayo-105-ltd-2011/

It's never cheaper to buy all the parts separately. You can always take a bike into any LBS for repair. If they won't do it, take your money somewhere else.

Knew I'd miss out on some parts :P Thanks for the links seen these already but I want a double and they don't come with.

I'd assume as a bike shops they'd buy the groupsets for a lot cheaper than 500, I was thinking that 1k would be a good price for that set-up

I also could get a trek 2.1 for 1170 with a double, 105 setup with botranger wheels. There's too much choice out there :P

I find it hard to differentiate frame quality as they all seem to come from the far east in anyways so don't have in my head the quality expect with the manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Probably not substantially cheaper, and even at that, they most likely wouldn't sell them on to you at a lot less than 500. I reckon you'd do well to build a bike for under a grand, unless you're willing to sit on it and wait for bargains to come along. Trust me, I've had a look :D

Why do you particularly want a double? 50-11 is a bigger gear than 53-12. The Trek would be a good bike, certainly a lot better than what you're planning. What kind of warranty comes with that frame and fork? This is something that could come in rather useful. Also note that Planet-X (at least) will sell you a half price frame and fork within three years of original purchase if you write them off in a crash.

The quality comes with quality control, not where the frames come from. With the larger manufacturers, you're more guaranteed that you're frame will be checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Coronal wrote: »
    Probably not substantially cheaper, and even at that, they most likely wouldn't sell them on to you at a lot less than 500. I reckon you'd do well to build a bike for under a grand, unless you're willing to sit on it and wait for bargains to come along. Trust me, I've had a look :D

Why do you particularly want a double? 50-11 is a bigger gear than 53-12. The Trek would be a good bike, certainly a lot better than what you're planning. What kind of warranty comes with that frame and fork? This is something that could come in rather useful. Also note that Planet-X (at least) will sell you a half price frame and fork within three years of original purchase if you write them off in a crash.

The quality comes with quality control, not where the frames come from. With the larger manufacturers, you're more guaranteed that you're frame will be checked.

I actually wasn't sure about the double I was just suggested by people to get one? The guy in the shop said he'd have to find out the warranty but defo wouldn't be lifetime or ten years.

You've given me some thought on the trek. I'll mull over my options as they come in. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Only get a standard double if you will be using the bike primarily for racing. Otherwise, and particularly if you are a beginner, get a compact double (50/34.)

I think you would be mad to get a no-name aluminum bike when you could get a carbon one for similar money.

If you do go LBS, the Trek probably has a lifetime frame warranty, original owner only. It is very unlikely you will have to use it though, I wouldn't let it be a big factor in your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

blorg wrote: »
    I think you would be mad to get a no-name aluminum bike when you could get a carbon one for similar money.
    One thing in favour of the aluminum bike is that it might be a "winter training " special :) which would have eyelets and accommodation for full length mudguards.
    Just something to consider or factor in if you are going down the frame / parts route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Idleater wrote: »
    One thing in favour of the aluminum bike is that it might be a "winter training " special :) which would have eyelets and accommodation for full length mudguards.
    Just something to consider or factor in if you are going down the frame / parts route.
    That might make sense if you already had the nice carbon summer bike.

For that matter, I got a carbon PX specifically as my winter trainer.

Advertisement