Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Stop Interview Tips

Options
  • 21-08-2011 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi Everyone, I'm and 18 year old, girl and I have managed to get an interview with Game Stop on Tuesday. Thing is I'm not really a gaming girl. I do know the basic games like nintendo wii, nintendo DS, playstations, etc but havn't a clue how anyting like Xbox works. Do you think this will affect me in my interview? I was thinking if I just point out that i'm a quick learner I should be ok.

Also was wondering if anyone has any other tips, what to wear, hair/make up, etc. And what kind of questions they'll ask and what questions I should ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Jess18 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I'm and 18 year old, girl and I have managed to get an interview with Game Stop on Tuesday. Thing is I'm not really a gaming girl. I do know the basic games like nintendo wii, nintendo DS, playstations, etc but havn't a clue how anyting like Xbox works. Do you think this will affect me in my interview? I was thinking if I just point out that i'm a quick learner I should be ok.

Also was wondering if anyone has any other tips, what to wear, hair/make up, etc. And what kind of questions they'll ask and what questions I should ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I would read up on games and the internetz, theyre all geeks in there!!*

* Geeks in a knowledgable way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Not being mean or anything, but.... Can I ask why you applied at GameStop if you're not really a gamer? Just kinda baffles me. One of the things I like about GameStop is that their staff usually know what they're talking about, when they're not shoving disc insurance down your throat

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

read up on it before you go, but best thing is to be honest.

online gaming is a huge draw for anyone using consoles (mainly xbox and ps3) so learn about the respective networks they have.

* xbox uses xbox live (xbl).
    * ps3 uses playstation network (psn).

Dress casual formal - don't think you'd need a lady suit (not sure what else to call it), wear your hair the way you normally do.

They will most likely ask you how would you deal with an irate customer (assuming here as I've never worked in retail), or to recommend games to a stereotypical customer; think a mother coming in a christmas after hearing the latest grand theft auto is the game to get etc.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Healium wrote: »
    Not being mean or anything, but.... Can I ask why you applied at GameStop if you're not really a gamer? Just kinda baffles me. One of the things I like about GameStop is that their staff usually know what they're talking about, when they're not shoving disc insurance down your throat

Told me recently Portal 2 wouldnt run on my I5 2500k.

Job is a job tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Phew! had to take a second look at that one!

Also OP, remember the delete sys32 troubleshooting method for PCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

In all fairness, people are just applying for jobs, in the hope of picking anything up. I work in a clothes shop, doesn't mean I keep up to date with latest fashions or trends. It's like starting anywhere, ya learn as ya go along. I'm sure the OP will be capable of picking up gaming tips and knowledge from just working there a few months.

Best of luck OP! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

if you are good looking, then you dont need knowladge about games.

seen lots of girls working in shops like that and dont have a freaking clue how to hold controller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they're store clerks not your lan buddies, christ. it's just a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if you are good looking, then you dont need knowladge about games.

seen lots of girls working in shops like that and dont have a freaking clue how to hold controller.

Maybe they only play games on the PC, as everyone should :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Jess18

To be honest I applied at Game Stop because I need a job, and in the recession, one can't be too picky! I am a fast learner and think I will pick up on it fairly quickly! To everyone else, thanks so much for all the help, Some great advice here, I'll be taking all your advice on board. Feel a bit more relaxed now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I work in a game store. My advice would be to dress smart, like you would to any job interview and make sure you bring a copy of your CV along with you (even if you've already given yours in). Too many come to interviews dressed down, and that never goes well. At the end of the day, the company want you to sell for them and want someone who takes the job seriously, not just a gaming nerd who smokes dope all day.

A big plus (would get you major bonus points in my place) would be to make sure you know the big games that are coming out soon - it's always a question asked. So that'd be Gears of War 3, Fifa 12, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3.

Gaming knowledge would be handy in the job, but it's not a requirement. At the end of the day, you're just selling stuff. It's something that you'd pick up in the job by either playing the games, or by talking to the gamers you work with.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If u wanted something to chat about, why not pick up the current edition of Gamesmaster and have a read-through. tbh I bet they're looking for someone who will be punctual and efficient, not someone who's just finished a 40-hour dungeon crawling session!

In short :

Wii - casual fans, there's a newer version coming out next year (Wii U)
    Xbox 360 - better for shooters, have to pay for online but a better service, better downloadbable service. Main exclusives are Halo series and Gears of war Series.
    Xbox's motion controller - Kinect - casual gaming like the wii, but the gimmick is that there's no controller (you are the controller)
    PS3 - some great exclusives (God of War, Heavy Rain, Uncharted series); excellent media player, plays Blu-Rays.
    PS3's motion controller - Move - very similar to the Wii's controller but is quietly implemented in some games.

DS/DSi/DSLite : Excellent, diverse back-catalogue of games. Recommend to all.
    3DS : DS's 3D upgrade. Few games at the moment but some big ones coming out soon. Recently had a price drop.
    PSP : Good sales but their best games are generally portable versions of their biggest PS3 franchises.
    PSVita : PSP's successor, out next year.

PC gamers : Ask him (point to someone else in the store)

If they're asking what you're looking forward to you could lie and say :
    Xbox : Gears of War 3 (out in a few weeks)
    PS3 : Uncharted 3 (out in a few months)
    Wii : New Zelda game : November.

Hope that helps!

@Notorious and @jaykhunter ....THANK YOU :) Best help so far, I'm making a list of all those games, and I'll google them, try learn abit more about them! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Bear in mind that your manager won't care if you're not a gamer, but a little knowledge would go a long way. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Really can't see someone being hired at a games shop with little knowledge on games, i'm very well up on gaming news, but if i wasn't and asked a staff member a question and they didn't know i'd be very put off from purchasing anything there.
    Luckily pretty much all staff i encountered in Gamestop are passionate about gaming and eager to help.
    Sorry to burst your bubble op, maybe a jobs a job but even in retail the're speciality jobs that not just any joe soap can blag their way in.

KilOit wrote: »
    Really can't see someone being hired at a games shop with little knowledge on games, i'm very well up on gaming news, but if i wasn't and asked a staff member a question and they didn't know i'd be very put off from purchasing anything there.
    Luckily pretty much all staff i encountered in Gamestop are passionate about gaming and eager to help.
    Sorry to burst your bubble op, maybe a jobs a job but even in retail the're speciality jobs that not just any joe soap can blag their way in.

While I appreciate your opinion, I don't plan to just 'blag my way in'. I really am making an effort to learn more about gaming, and to be fair I honestly don't think it will take that long to learn if I start working there. Maybe I'm just being naive, but I could really do with getting this job, so am going to do my very best to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

As someone who works somewhat in a similar role,
    It would help to know some recent history regarding consoles(PC games rarely come up), or to be more specific, the problems one may encounter when owning a console,
    So when someone comes in saying there is 3 red lights flashing on the front of their XBOX(general hardware failure) or that there is a perfectly circle scratch on their disc(laser burn) or PSN network outage(hackers), you will know what they are talking about,

Use this knowledge if a question comes up in the interview, ie:
    "If a customer has a problem with a console, how would you deal with it"
    "I would try to understand from the customer what exactly is happening with the console, for example does it have 3 red rings showing, is the disc unusually scratched..........."

It may not be much but it may give the idea that you actually know what a customer may be complaining about or that you know about the various problems already, showing an experience with consoles that betrays the truth of your actual experience;)

Killinator wrote: »
    As someone who works somewhat in a similar role,
    It would help to know some recent history regarding consoles(PC games rarely come up), or to be more specific, the problems one may encounter when owning a console,
    So when someone comes in saying there is 3 red lights flashing on the front of their XBOX(general hardware failure) or that there is a perfectly circle scratch on their disc(laser burn) or PSN network outage(hackers), you will know what they are talking about,

Use this knowledge if a question comes up in the interview, ie:
    "If a customer has a problem with a console, how would you deal with it"
    "I would try to understand from the customer what exactly is happening with the console, for example does it have 3 red rings showing, is the disc unusually scratched..........."

It may not be much but it may give the idea that you actually know what a customer may be complaining about or that you know about the various problems already, showing an experience with consoles that betrays the truth of your actual experience;)

Great help :) Thank you

While I appreciate your opinion, I don't plan to just 'blag my way in'. I really am making an effort to learn more about gaming, and to be fair I honestly don't think it will take that long to learn if I start working there. Maybe I'm just being naive, but I could really do with getting this job, so am going to do my very best to get it!

Yeah fair play even coming here and asking for tips, shows you're interested, but unless you got a super brain and absorb info from reading it once, it's gonna be tough being asked gaming questions on the fly in a interview.

If i went for a sports job like Paddy Power or so i'd find it extremely tough if they started asking about football teams or horse racing questions, it's the sort of info you get by being passionate about a subject and not just reading it from a website for the sake of using it to gain a job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're going in to sell games not play them. Having knowledge of games isn't important at all but a very minor bonus. I'd read up on the company and study yuor CV and prehaps read up on the consoles. They might ask you to do a mock sell where you have to sell a console to a pretend customer so knowing the features of each console and their pros would be good.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're going in to sell games not play them. Having knowledge of games isn't important at all but a very minor bonus.
    Don't agree at all, you need to know a game if you want to sell a game, of course you have the 80% of people walking in and going straight to the game they want and picking it up, but the other 20% you have the mothers/fathers buying for their kids or the people buying presents for family or friends etc and telling you they like this sort of game or are into this kind of activity, with the snippets of info they can tell you, you could direct them to a certain genre of games and become much better of selling a game.
    how could you give advice on games if you don't play them, would be like a deaf person describing music to you

KilOit wrote: »
    Don't agree at all, you need to know a game if you want to sell a game, of course you have the 80% of people walking in and going straight to the game they want and picking it up, but the other 20% you have the mothers/fathers buying for their kids or the people buying presents for family or friends etc and telling you they like this sort of game or are into this kind of activity, with the snippets of info they can tell you, you could direct them to a certain genre of games and become much better of selling a game.
    how could you give advice on games if you don't play them, would be like a deaf person describing music to you

I understand that I will need to be able to give people advice on games, etc. But I think that when I start out other more experienced staff members will be able to give me advice and help me out with customers. I think that if I am working with games on a day to day basis, and talking to other staff it won't take me long to learn about the games, but again maybe I'm being naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

In fairness (and I mean no offense here), every Gamestop I've been in seems to have a girl working there that doesn't know anything about video games. So you should have nothing to worry about.

I understand that I will need to be able to give people advice on games, etc. But I think that when I start out other more experienced staff members will be able to give me advice and help me out with customers. I think that if I am working with games on a day to day basis, and talking to other staff it won't take me long to learn about the games, but again maybe I'm being naive.

Few years back i worked in a wine company selling wine, loved the job and was alright at selling it when they didn't ask the questions, but when they did i felt so inadequate, i just couldn't give sound advice since i hated wine and never drank it (back then :))
    So although you could technically work at Gamestop and be a good employee and stand at the till and restock shelves, you will face the difficult questions the odd time by not being that passionate about it. all the advice and talking to other staff won't help that much if you don't play them, it will just give a sense you're reading from a script and just going through the motions.

@KilOit Ok, I do get where you're coming from and appreciate your opinion, but I'm going to do my best to get this job by taking on board everyone's advice and suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens on Tuesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

I am sure Gamestop understand that all the relevant games info can be easily and quickly learned in the job, but a suitable personality can not be developed if it is not there initially. So present yourself well, both visually and communicatively. Cite any experience you have acquired previously in dealing with the public. I finished a Business and Sales course a few months ago and a key point to understand was 'customers are more likely to make a purchase if they like the sales person'. So just show them you are a nice person!

I would say that the best starting place for you is to familiarise yourself with the Gamestop website, It displays the upcoming big releases per platform (xbox 360. PS3. DS, wii, PC, etc), demonstrates their deals, general relevant information you could use in the interview. Majority of customers will walk in with prior knowledge of the game they want and just purchase it (this will constitute the majority of the job requirement). A small number (usually parents of young gamers) might ask for recommendations; so ask what platform they have, understand the age ratings on games, link recommendation to other games they previously liked, etc. Have a look at some of the stickys in the boards.ie gaming sections to gain info on differences in consoles (I think one clearly lists pros and cons of each, I think).

The girls in the local gamestop always (100%) refer any gaming questions to the manager, who is suitably knowledgeable(ish). Still, it would be nice to be able to converse with the customer about games, so if you get the job- start gaming! Damn enjoyable hobby. BTY FYI, 1. busy games release period coming up over the next few months and 2. the games industry is now supposedly the largest entertainment sector (having last year posted larger sales figures than music and cinema).

Best of Luck with the interview!

@mrm Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hi Jess good luck with the interview!!!!!!!!!

Really taking advice on here regards games etc. is pointless, anyone who has played the games / has the system could spot a spoofer a mile off I'm afraid.

Like most jobs these days you will be part of a team , and collective knowledge is always best, nobody knows everything. They will be looking for someone who shows a willingness to learn and an interest in the field and work as a team member and not bullsh*it the punters, who would rather you went and checked rather than give them bad advice !!!!!!!

Being honest means you dig no holes you need to dig deeper later or lie your way out of.

As for dress, go with the sunday best. Imagine you are the person doing the interview, you want some one who looks presentable to the public and has a nice polite manor , can deal with criticism and has common sense first and foremost.

Edit: Despite my earlier comment about it being pointless coming on and asking here , it actually shows you have some get up and go and cop on and initiative already by doing that and getting prepared for the interview so don't sweat it you'll be grand !!!!!

While you're there put in a good word in for Calex , he really needs a job too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Oh, and just in case I came across kinda crappy in my earlier post- Best of luck with the interview :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Just make sure you know what "Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3" is. Thats all you will need to know ;)

Advertisement