Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Stop Interview Tips

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

iMuse wrote: »
    Just make sure you know what "Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3" is. Thats all you will need to know ;)

Booooooo. Want to report this post. AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH. Sad that MW3 will out-sell Skyrim, Gears, Saints, Assassin's, Battlefield and whatever the hell else is coming out in November+. Will likely sell more than some of them combined. HissBooHiss

• Registered Users Posts: 19,202 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Healium wrote: »
    Booooooo. Want to report this post. AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH. Sad that MW3 will out-sell Skyrim, Gears, Saints, Assassin's, Battlefield and whatever the hell else is coming out in November+. Will likely sell more than some of them combined. HissBooHiss
    That's kind of the point.

Even after that people like COD. Apart from maybe Saint's Row it's the most casual and easy to get into out of all the games you have mentioned there and the best social game because everyone gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I would have said BF3 will take the crown this year for sales

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

So, did you get the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Omfg nerds. Job interview tip thread went in to bf3 vs cod fanboy fight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Skerries wrote: »

It's a nice thought, but they're far too many young people into cod so imagine all the school kids getting it because their mates in class are getting it also

• Registered Users Posts: 19,202 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Omfg nerds. Job interview tip thread went in to bf3 vs cod fanboy fight...
    Where? Except the comment above mine there's not really anything fanboyish said

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Andy!! wrote: »
    So, did you get the job?
    Jess18 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I'm and 18 year old, girl and I have managed to get an interview with Game Stop on Tuesday.

Ask tomorrow evening.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dunno if it's too late to offer advice...

While yes a basic knowledge of games would be a boon, you are entering a retail environment and product knowledge is something that can be learned as you are there. However things like enthusiasm, warmth, and brightness (as in awareness) are things which people either have or don't in a sales job and they're important.

So look enthusiastic, smile warmly, try to have some confidence and if you're put in a position where you don't know an answer look willing and interested to learn. As others have said, dress well, show respect for the job (if you see no one else dressed well don't feel out of place, feel encouraged because you have an edge they dont).

I interviewed people for retail positions for 4 years, I know of what I speak. They are not going to want an 18 year old girl to be some uber game fan. They're going to want a hard worker who can put money in the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Healium wrote: »

Yeah it is sad but if anyone wants to work in a gaming store, the amount of people coming in to pre order /ask about MW3 will outweigh the rest of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

iMuse wrote: »
    Yeah it is sad but if anyone wants to work in a gaming store, the amount of people coming in to pre order /ask about MW3 will outweigh the rest of the games.

All you need to know is the release date which you cab find on the computer. What else would a shop assistant really need to know about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Jess18

Andy!! wrote: »
    So, did you get the job?

The interview is not till tomorrow :)

Everyone else,Thanks for all the help and advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Best tip for a Gamespot interview? Know absolutely nothing about games! That seems to be the trend lately in the shop here anyway. Jk, you'll be grand. As wth any other retail job if you're a polite, eager person you'll fly it! You'll learn a tonne about games right from the get go anyway once you're in there so don't worry. I know a few people who have worked in GS over the years, both in cashier and management positions and to be honest some of them started there without a bloody clue while others were hardcore gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Hello Jess18, just an update on my previous post. I was in Gamestop today changing a pre order from one game onto another. The lad dealing with it was struggling with the transaction and he asked for assistance from a colleague who was hidden from view in the backroom, who it turned out to be one of the girls who I mentioned in the previous post (i.e. who always turned to the manager for assistance), who duly advised him accordingly. So not only does games knowledge appear not to be essential but neither does understanding the basic workings of all of the transaction types. One thing I notice in the local shop is they are all polite, nice people who are always willing to assist each other when required. You'll be grand. DoctorDoom above hit the nail on the head. A decent personality with a basic ability to learn should suffice.

mrm wrote: »
    Hello Jess18, just an update on my previous post. I was in Gamestop today changing a pre order from one game onto another. The lad dealing with it was struggling with the transaction and he asked for assistance from a colleague who was hidden from view in the backroom, who it turned out to be one of the girls who I mentioned in the previous post (i.e. who always turned to the manager for assistance), who duly advised him accordingly. So not only does games knowledge appear not to be essential but neither does understanding the basic workings of all of the transaction types. One thing I notice in the local shop is they are all polite, nice people who are always willing to assist each other when required. You'll be grand. DoctorDoom above hit the nail on the head. A decent personality with a basic ability to learn should suffice.

Aw thank you, I hope the staff in the store I am interviewing at are just as nice and helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Well!!! put us out of our misery, did you get it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

not a chance, it'll be huge no doubt, huge huge, but COD is a behemoth of sales, wouldnt surprise me if it breaks day one records again. I'll be buying both though :D

I'll survive october-december on rice and water right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gamestop interviews are fairly laid back. I got a job by just knowing what games were out soon and by just playing games, just be confident and fake the rest :)

Best of luck, fun company to work for.

Well!!! put us out of our misery, did you get it or not?

The interview went well, They said it will be late next week when they get back to me as they have more interviews to get through this week :) So fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

mrm wrote: »

Avoid awkward people like that if you get the job :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement