Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ for a 62 year old man

Options
  • 21-08-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

my father in law has asked me to research this for him,so any help is much appreciated:).basically he's a carpenter builder all his life and he and a few friends(near same age and profession) are looking to head to NZ Christchurch and work as a 'gang' of carpenter/builders.His/my questions are the obvious ones on visa's!will NZ even consider them because of there age?there not looking to relocate there longterm,just for 2/3 years.they would be bringing there wives with them!and are looking to head out in the first couple of months of 2012!
    so any info is much appreciated and i look forward to your replies:)
    thanks for reading
    Dazz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

With respect mate I Dont hold out much hope for him being given any work visa. You could try asking on the NZ section of Britishexpats.com.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Would be very difficult to get a visa for them if not impossible. Skills visa is out as you have to be 45 or under to apply so that leaves a work permit. Not too sure, look up their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

For soemthing like this I think the only sensible thing to do would be to phone or email immigration directly and talk about the idea. Yeah they don't fit inside the normal brackets for skilled immigration but this is for a special project at a time when Christchurch needs labour, they might well use their discretion and offer them 2-3 year work permits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

replies are much appreciated lads...i'll email the NZ immigration directly and suss them out:)

EDIT...i'll report back here and let ye know when i hear back from them... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I wouldn't go to the other side of the world for work based on RTE news stories...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0813/newzealand.html

and a couple of days later...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0815/newzealand.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

New Zealand beaurocrats are just as flea-brained as Irish ones, I read both those RTE stories last week then the major Bob Parker was on the news here the other night saying all immigrants will be welcomed who want to lend a hand. Fletchers construction would be a good place to start..ask them! Ignore the hearsay, Just come down and see what happens, if you don't get work just have enough cash with you to have to go back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I don't know much about the process, but a sponsorship visa is probably what he's looking for.

If a "gang" are heading out there's no reason they can't suss things out for your friend, line up the contacts, and he can join them at a later date.

Alternatively he could go on a tourist visa and suss things out himself and generally have a wee holiday, with an eye to meeting an employer who could sponsor him. However, It's a long way to go with nothing concrete lined up.

Advertisement