Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution 2012 or FIFA 12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Played PES religiously up until PES2008. FIFA 08 has taken over since then for me.

I'll definitely get FIFA 12 on release. Usually end up picking up PES for a knockdown price later on in the year. Will be sooner if the demo is very impressive.

That's what Il be doing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Getting the PES demo now, but realistically I'll be getting Fifa 12 on release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

I have to say as a Fifa fan i am really enjoying the Pro Evo demo and to be honest if Fifa 12 isnt much different to 11 i will be going with Pro Evo this year..the game is just much sleeker..the gameplay itself is excellent..pity about the licences but ive been told you can download a patch or something to fix all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Just played the Pro Evo demo and I have to say I'm impressed. The passing is nice and crisp, like it used to be, and player movements off the all is pretty good too.

Only major gripe I have with it is the heading. I conceded a few goals from corners and crosses because either the player didn't react or he ran away from the ball (though it may be something I'm doing too). But overall it's seems pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Played PES religiously up until PES2008. FIFA 08 has taken over since then for me.

I'll definitely get FIFA 12 on release. Usually end up picking up PES for a knockdown price later on in the year. Will be sooner if the demo is very impressive.

This.

PES2010 and PES2011 went to €15 at Xtravision in January. And that is normally when I get a bit bored with FIFA so a change is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

The last good pes was pes4 IMO what a game! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Futbolero

For anyone who has played the demo can you tell me if they finally got rid of that stupid animation when you lose the ball, and you can't control your player for like a full second?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Futbolero wrote: »
    For anyone who has played the demo can you tell me if they finally got rid of that stupid animation when you lose the ball, and you can't control your player for like a full second?

Yes you stay in control of the player now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Played both this year and thought Fifa was the better game. I've always found Pes fun though and I really like the dribbling in 2011 however the off the ball movement was poor. I found the gameplay very static. However, Fifa need to find a way around the old "cut in from the flank and finesse shot into the corner" play. It shouldn't be the guaranteed goal it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Whens the 2nd demo out for PES?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

14 September I think

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mr.D.CraicLAAD

Fifa, i played PES demo, and it is BAD, i was giving PES a go this year, but not anymore, if Fifa is in anyway bi-similar to 11, it will be miles better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Futbolero

So the day finally came through and I eagerly downloaded both demos.
    Let's get right into the specifics.

For Fifa 12:
    I like the obviously better graphics, animations and flair. The games seem more live and vivid with the excellent animation done by EA. Players move, dribble the ball and shoot like the real sport.

What I don't like and still perseveres from previous FIFA games is the way passing works. It is too exact. Doesn't let you experiment with passing to spaces, and overall the passing system feels too rigid and contrived. It doesn't let you make mistakes. You either get the player or you don't.

I feel the advanced passing option (Triangle for PS3 owners) is too inaccurate and weak. There are instances in which Xavi should be passing the ball to the outside of the defender and Messi should be able to quickly grab it.

However what the computer interprets is an unnecessary inside passing which ends up being intercepted by the defense. Maybe I am doing this wrong. The speed of the game is also too fast for my linking.

Now for Pro Evolution 2012:
    The game definitely feels tweaked. I was ready to be dissapointed by more of the same. And at first, I got the impression with the tweaked graphics engine. However, at the same the game offers you more nifty visual details and touches. Stuff like the DTs and cameraman on the turf make the game more alive.

I dig the new camera. The new dribble system is definitely welcomed. It makes those crazy waist bending passes and shots a thing of the past. Players now dribble the ball and make those real life movements to pass the ball toward that direction.

I also feel the new ball physics interesting and likeable. This particular detail makes the flow of the game more unpredictable, like the real sport. This time balls bounce on tackles and don't do that disconnected engine thing anymore (player gets fouled and the ball keeps going).

I also like very much the new falling animations and the new player impact thing that Konami has developed. Whether in PES 2011, the player did the same falling down animation when tackled, on PES 2012 the player actually steps out in a fall and rolls on the pitch.

New stadium chants and more details make the game better, although not as flair like as FIFA 12.

Overall, it's a real touch choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sounds like you need to play some Fifa on Manual controls OP, its very hard and not as popular as playing with default controls but its also rewarding, you can do the Xavi pass you mentioned on Manual

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    sounds like you need to play some Fifa on Manual controls OP, its very hard and not as popular as playing with default controls but its also rewarding, you can do the Xavi pass you mentioned on Manual

100% agree Corcaigh. Looking forward to playing the demo later but going by reports already, this game may be the perfect FIFA for the manual player:)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Fowler87 wrote: »
    corcaigh07 wrote: »

100% agree Corcaigh. Looking forward to playing the demo later but going by reports already, this game may be the perfect FIFA for the manual player:)

Totally agree, FIFA is a completely different game on manual, real tough to get the hang of but once you do it's ridiculously good. Really looking forward to the FIFA demo (PS3), wasn't very impressed with the PES one but they are definitely improving the game. The second PES demo will be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As has been said, it sounds like you want to be using the manual controls for FIFA which allow you the freedom to make those sorts of passes.

The trouble with making any judgement of which game to buy from the demos is that, in my experience, the Pro Evo demo is rarely a decent representation of what the game is going to be like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Futbolero wrote: »
    Your impressions of the demos...

There is no need for a whole new thread for this when you already had this one which you started. The posts have been merged and the other one deleted!

As the lads have already said, your SCREAMING out for manual Fifa. Which anyone who has bother giving a real chance has loved it. Takes a good bit of getting used to, but its 1,000,000% worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Any tips for getting used to the switch to manual? Think I tried it before but after a brief experiment of being unable to hit a barn door, I abandoned it! I'd like to be able to stop blaming the CPU for everything!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

out of interest do ye all switch everything to unassisted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Are both demos out now on both consoles?

out of interest do ye all switch everything to unassisted?

Yes. Much better. We have manual leagues running too for any one who starts playing manual. We have decent numbers on PS3 anyway, not sure about Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yes. Much better. We have manual leagues running too for any one who starts playing manual. We have decent numbers on PS3 anyway, not sure about Xbox.

Tried it for a small while before but it is frustrating at first. I might switch everything off from the start on 12 and just stick with it till it clicks. Apparrently all the top online players use manual everything, on saying that im not doing too bad myself these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Any tips for getting used to the switch to manual? Think I tried it before but after a brief experiment of being unable to hit a barn door, I abandoned it! I'd like to be able to stop blaming the CPU for everything!

its very hard alright, you cant really learn how to play manual unless you play a randomer who is alos on manual or better, a friend equally as crap at Manual.

simple 5 yard passes can go astray, if you are in front of goal and no keeper to beat, you CAN miss!(parawind will confirm this :o )

But when you work a sexy move or score a great goal on Manual, its priceless as you know you did it, not AI.

My suggestion would be not to bother with manual for a while, wait until you get frustrated and bored with the full new game(shouldnt take too long!) and then try it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I'll also pick up FIFA on release, and Pro Evo second-hand a few months later. The reason I'm not picking up Pro Evo on release is simple - total lack of a defensive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Tried it for a small while before but it is frustrating at first. I might switch everything off from the start on 12 and just stick with it till it clicks. Apparrently all the top online players use manual everything, on saying that im not doing too bad myself these days :D

Stick with it. I started in 09 and never went back. 09, 10, 11 it was the only reason I even played it. It adds a whole new dimension. 12 demo is class in other ways but the manual always makes me choose fifa over pes by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Also tip for anyone starting manual: play the cpu on lowest difficulty so that you have time to get used to tapping short passes around. I did it the hard way just playin online from the start but it takes ye way longer to get better I'd say.

Get a bitta confidence against crap cpu, then move up the difficulties and start playing some online. Nothing more satisfying though, and i think last year was the first fifa where manual was really playable against top auto players, but this year its even better.

I dream of a fifa where there are no assisted options but know it will never happen. But the more people playing manual online with this new matchmaking system the more likely you are to play other manual players.

Also tip for anyone starting manual: play the cpu on lowest difficulty so that you have time to get used to tapping short passes around. I did it the hard way just playin online from the start but it takes ye way longer to get better I'd say.

Get a bitta confidence against crap cpu, then move up the difficulties and start playing some online. Nothing more satisfying though, and i think last year was the first fifa where manual was really playable against top auto players, but this year its even better.

I dream of a fifa where there are no assisted options but know it will never happen. But the more people playing manual online with this new matchmaking system the more likely you are to play other manual players.

THIS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Played 2 games of FIFA demo....won't be buying it.

I agree with the defensive comment about Pro Evo though....still will get it as I am not a fan of Floaty FIFA....it never seems to change.

Advertisement