Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution 2012 or FIFA 12

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Fifa to me has always been for the person who watches football on Sky but has never played it

Sorry, but what a mind bogglingly retarded generalisation.
    to be honest lads both are rubbish this year

If you think that, then vote with your wallet and buy neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Sorry, but what a mind bogglingly retarded generalisation.

If you think that, then vote with your wallet and buy neither.

No its not Fifa has gone out of its way to recreate the SKY look and presentation even having SKY commentators as well and concentrating on long range shots and over the top dramatics rather than basic football tactics.

So it appealed to the kind of person who thinks a Gerrard shot from 30 yards flying into the top corner is whats important but neglecting basic defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Need some help guys?

Fifa or pro - which one is best?

Havent played pro in about 3-4 years - it started getting very arcade just run down the wing, pass it in and score - bit boring

Played fifa 10 and it was alright - just pass pass pass and no real beating players -

So have they changed at all? and which one is better?

I play x-box if that has any relevence

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You are going to have the fan boys telling you buy one over the other, the only real way you are going to know is to try play the demos for both yourself. Both of them are up on the marketplace. Its down to personal preference and buying one over the other because someone told you on here could be a waste of your money to be honest if you dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Was very tempted to change to FIFA this year, but I downloaded both demos and they both seem much of a muchness to me. That being the case I've decided to simply stick with what I know and buy the new Pro Evo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

No its not Fifa has gone out of its way to recreate the SKY look and presentation even having SKY commentators as well and concentrating on long range shots and over the top dramatics rather than basic football tactics.

So it appealed to the kind of person who thinks a Gerrard shot from 30 yards flying into the top corner is whats important but neglecting basic defending.

Going to disagree with you here. FIFA 12 strikes a balance. How can you say that it neglects basic defending when you actually have to prevent space / time a tackle right. I have found that the defending here rewards players who are able to read a game and their opponent.

Yes, there are spectacular efforts and goals...but that's part of football. Previous FIFAs had 1/2 ways to score. Lob it over the top, one-on-one, slot. Not entertaining, not fun, not lifelike. Far more ways to score this time out I am finding.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

A little history before I say anything. Was a die hard pro fan for years up until about Fifa 10. Didn't like that iteration of Pro that year and it got all the play. It was much the same last year though Pro improved a bit.

I used to play both with mates on both 360 and PS3.

This year I've got both, all be it for the PC.

Graphically I think FIFA shades it but in most cases it's by a player by player basis. Though when you factor in the crowd, presentation of the game, player likenesses... it's very close.

As far as which game has improved the most, it's definitely Pro Evolution as it was in a pretty dire state the last few years, Fifa evolves nicely though removing the Community style feature seen in Pro Evolution was stupid. Nothing better than having a table full of statistics to shove in your mates face, as he foolishly claims superiority.

I had planned to go down through most of the features but it's unnecessary.

While FIFA has been kicking ass for the last possibly three years. I think this iteration of Pro Evolution just barely usurpers it.

I find FIFA's passing scheme good, but sometimes feels like you're just made pass and keep the ball for the sake of it... with very little chance of penetration regardless of how good the player is.

Also the individual traits of players in Pro Evolution seem to differ more...
    As in fast players or strong players benefit from these traits more, and rightly so.

The ball physics, a lot of people are commenting about how poor Pro Evolutions are, and I've seen some dodgy moments... but FIFA's had some horror shows since I started playing it. Saw a funny link on youtube of some of the other disasters, so I don't think there's much in a comparison between the two.

Overall, I have both games on my PC, playing with a Xbox controller and the game I keep going back to is Pro Evolution, because I simply am having more fun playing it.

Fifa's roster and a lot of other things in it are better but whether I want a challenge or a kick around, I'll end up with Pro Evo more often than not.

Again, I know the above may seem overly Pro Evo positive but I was a FIFA man for the last 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Good post above me, I think he is spot on. I'm also a FIFA fan as pro ev was shocking the past few years but after playin FIFA 12 which i think is a step backwards as the gameplay is too technical very hard to enjoy it. I liked the demo of pes and I honestly don't think it has to do much more to be better than FIFA so I'm going to give it a rent for the week and decide to buy or not as there are just too many glitches in FIFA the whole kit clashing online is a small but very very annoying problem that was just pathetic on ea's behalf aswell constantly coming up against barca etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

I usually get both but have played fifa more the last few years.
    This year i think i will just get pes as the single player modes are much more enjoyable than fifa imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Although FIFA looks amazing, there's just something about the physics and ball movement that makes me never get used to it. Rented out fifa12 and just couldn't enjoy it!
    I still play PES06 and think PES has gone downhill ever since, but I really hope I PES has made enough improvements to be playable to my liking.
    Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Spent the day playing Pro Evo 12 and have to say it's dam good. It just gets the feel of playing football. The flow of the game seems just right. The last few years have been terrible but they have stripped out all the rubbish and stream lined it. Simple thing like a substitution doesn't result in a mini video of the players high five'n going off the pitch, the game just restarts and you are straight back into it.

Stripped down football for the purist. Will wait until I've at least 30 games played before i attempt my review.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Going to disagree with you here. FIFA 12 strikes a balance. How can you say that it neglects basic defending when you actually have to prevent space / time a tackle right. I have found that the defending here rewards players who are able to read a game and their opponent.

Yes, there are spectacular efforts and goals...but that's part of football. Previous FIFAs had 1/2 ways to score. Lob it over the top, one-on-one, slot. Not entertaining, not fun, not lifelike. Far more ways to score this time out I am finding.

Prob wasn't clear but i was talking about pre 12 Fifa. Still think tactical defending has huge issues mainly down to defenders AI than the actual player defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

The more I play FIFA 12 the more sh•t I think it is what a huge letdown

So glitchy and unresponsive to play online aswell as bug after bug in the actual game both online and offline.

Head to head seasons is half arsed as usual by ea so they can improve it next year as 1 of there big features I mean you can't even choose what kit you want the kit clashing is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Always been a Pro Evo fan,just couldn't take to FIFA and the new FIFA 12 won't tempt me either,been hearing good reports about Pro Evo and how it's really improved this year.It'll be the one for me again.

Here's a review from the Official Playstation Magazine.

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/review/pes-2012-ps3-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

The more I play FIFA 12 the more sh•t I think it is what a huge letdown

So glitchy and unresponsive to play online aswell as bug after bug in the actual game both online and offline.

Head to head seasons is half arsed as usual by ea so they can improve it next year as 1 of there big features I mean you can't even choose what kit you want the kit clashing is a joke.

I am disappointed with it too, to be honest. I used to be a PES fan, but usually bought both (on PC) and ended up playing PES more. Last year I bought PES on PC and FIFA with my first xbox and ended up playing FIFA constantly and didn't touch PES since. Was looking forward to FIFA 12 immensely but hasn't lived up to expectations. The AI is patchy, good in some areas, woeful in others and the new defensive system is hampered by the AI, both on the defending and attacking side. I am improving at it, my last four games were 4-1, 0-0, 3-0 and 3-1 but it never feels comfortable or smooth and even in the 4-1 win I only had 40% possession. For those saying it's just like real football, it isn't even close but no game is really, is it?

Don't know about PES, can't really justify buying another game so soon, will probably wait and see. Try to get used to FIFA, who knows maybe it will turn out to be a classic yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have both games and must say i prefer PES 2012.
    The defending is rubbish in fifa now, what were they thinking,AI is dodgy as hell too.
    I got DLC today for PES that updates to the latest transfers which is a plus as fifa has the edge on teams,players real team names etc.
    I used to be a PES man way back, then fifa upped its game and took the top honours but this year i must say PES takes the honours and by a fair margin too imho.
    Konami seem to have got ever closer to magical gameplay this time round, each to their own etc but i have both on my PC and PES 2012 gets the nod this time round for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

It's a game that really splits opinions.

I have been playing FIFA 12 now since starting out with Pro and am really frustrated with it to be honest.

I know you can turn off the new defending but it's just broken, never feel comfortably with it.

People give out about the keepers in Pro, but if I get beat at the front post from an almost impossible angle in Fifa again I'll go spare! Just stand still and put up your hands you twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Dcully wrote: »
    I have both games and must say i prefer PES 2012.
    The defending is rubbish in fifa now, what were they thinking,AI is dodgy as hell too.
    I got DLC today for PES that updates to the latest transfers which is a plus as fifa has the edge on teams,players real team names etc.
    I used to be a PES man way back, then fifa upped its game and took the top honours but this year i must say PES takes the honours and by a fair margin too imho.
    Konami seem to have got ever closer to magical gameplay this time round, each to their own etc but i have both on my PC and PES 2012 gets the nod this time round for me.

This. And to be honest I'm glad to leave FIFA behind. It never had the replayability that Pro Evo 4, 5 or 6 had. Good to see Pro Evo look backwards to progress, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Haven't bought either yet. Tried out the demo for pro and was fairly enthused about the new game but alas I don;t think I'll be too hasty this year to buy it.

I always found Konami's biggest weakness was DLC. Instead of looking to address a big issue in game in the next edition they should release multiple DLCs to ensure longevity and playability of the game. Issues are addressed though usually 3 DLCs in each annual edition does not seem enough. Has the game improved much in the recent DLC?

Tactics and strategy were always the selling point for me in Pro Evo. Fair enough it;s nice to master the tricks and penalties but Pro Evo has been lacking in this department for quite a while and I'm hoping they were addressed properly this time around though knowing Konami it will probably be changed again next year. Back to tactics though, I don't know about fifa but in pro evo they really bring a realism to the game. Adjustment of positions and how they affect player's skills and attributes still amazes me. How's it looking in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

don't buy pro evo.
    if they have been losing what they use to do well in the previous years this year they have absolutely lost it. It is a massive waste of time and money.

The games are not balanced or fun, they've just notched up the difficulty by making it completely unrealistic.

Awful game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Leftist wrote: »
    don't buy pro evo.
    if they have been losing what they use to do well in the previous years this year they have absolutely lost it. It is a massive waste of time and money.

The games are not balanced or fun, they've just notched up the difficulty by making it completely unrealistic.

Awful game.

Harsh. Very Harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 United1987

i miss the old pes with collina the ref on the cover beast of a game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I don't own either as I've been busy this year (damn you leaving cert!), but from previous years I think Fifa's game-play and graphics are far superior to PES. I found the career mode (Be a Legend) in PES to be much more in enjoyable than fifa's however, that was in the 10 and 11 editions of the game, I'm yet to play PES 12.

I'd probably buy PES over Fifa just for the BAL, but Fifa has the Euro 2012 update so I'll probably buy Fifa instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

In the last couple of years, I've become so disillusioned with both of them. They just seem to be trying to fix a little bit here, and a little bit there, and it just reminds me of Father Ted when he was trying to knock the dent out of the raffle car.

In all honesty, the best footy game I've ever played is still PES6. It was just a brilliant game, apart from one critical element, EDIT mode - It essentially didn't have one!! And to go one previous to PES 5, that EDIT mode was absolutely superb (mainly because of my achievements in creating a perfectly crafted Southend United) and the gameplay was fairly outstanding aswell.

I'm seriously considering going away and buying PES 6 again and just sticking with it because, apparently, neither of them can improve on it. Ya the lack of an EDIT mode will suck, but it's still looking like the best alternative at present, and it only costs about €3.00!!

I'd get PES 5 in a shot except it was for the old platforms, not XBOX360 or PS3!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Wilberto wrote: »
    In the last couple of years, I've become so disillusioned with both of them. They just seem to be trying to fix a little bit here, and a little bit there, and it just reminds me of Father Ted when he was trying to knock the dent out of the raffle car.

In all honesty, the best footy game I've ever played is still PES6. It was just a brilliant game, apart from one critical element, EDIT mode - It essentially didn't have one!! And to go one previous to PES 5, that EDIT mode was absolutely superb (mainly because of my achievements in creating a perfectly crafted Southend United) and the gameplay was fairly outstanding aswell.

I'm seriously considering going away and buying PES 6 again and just sticking with it because, apparently, neither of them can improve on it. Ya the lack of an EDIT mode will suck, but it's still looking like the best alternative at present, and it only costs about €3.00!!

I'd get PES 5 in a shot except it was for the old platforms, not XBOX360 or PS3!!

I think you need the retro forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Advertisement