Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody here working in Australia as a Shuttering/Formwork Carpenter?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I've been working as an apprentice carpenter here in Ireland for the last 2 years. I've recently been let go and am now looking to head to Oz, I see there's a lot of work going for shuttering/formwork carpenters and am just wondering would 2 years experience as an apprentice carpenter here, be enough to secure a job as a formwork carpenter in Oz? I have done a lot of work off drawings to make up stud partitions for houses so wouldn't have a problem reading off plans. Any advice welcome, thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

been in Perth just over a week and was chatting to a fella from donegal who is working as a shutterer for a large company, there is 19 irish/english chippies on his shift and 17 are looking for sponsorship, he said the chances of 1 of them getting sponsored is pretty slim as if 1 gets it they would all want it. He has only 3 months of his 2nd visa left and is already planning moving home. Another fella he knows is leaving next week as his sponsorship with another company fell thru as he wasn't getting paid enough.

Its pretty hard to get sponsorship from what I hear, but not impossible if you get with the crowd and have a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

rightyabe wrote: »
    been in Perth just over a week and was chatting to a fella from donegal who is working as a shutterer for a large company, there is 19 irish/english chippies on his shift and 17 are looking for sponsorship, he said the chances of 1 of them getting sponsored is pretty slim as if 1 gets it they would all want it. He has only 3 months of his 2nd visa left and is already planning moving home. Another fella he knows is leaving next week as his sponsorship with another company fell thru as he wasn't getting paid enough.

Its pretty hard to get sponsorship from what I hear, but not impossible if you get with the crowd and have a bit of luck.

Yeah 17 guys working their ass off looking the gold ticket, I'm sure the boss is not complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 opelastra

rightyabe wrote: »

yeah see im not really worried about the whole sponsorship thing yet, just want to know will they be willing to take me on if i only have 2 years apprentice experience. Dont want to the whole way over to find out that i need to be qualified:(

Advertisement