Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customers who smoke on buses are liable for fines of up to €3000

Options
  • 21-08-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

So, just wondering, has anyone on a Dublin Bus ever been fined the full whack since the ban came in over 7 years ago?

At the time I remember people suggesting, "well if the fine is going up it might deter some" but I haven't really noticed a major change on the worst offending routes. That said, on a Friday/Saturday night late buses can have an entire upper deck full of smokers/drinkers (not just on college routes) and it seems to be accepted as the norm.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I wouldn't imagine many get fined, I regularly see smokers, drinkers and maybe even drug takers using on the bus and nothing is done...

Playing out the announcement on the bus will have no effect if there are no inspectors around to enforce this policy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

DB need to send on STT guys or a couple of revenue enforcement officers or something.

I don't think it would be fair to expect the driver to head upstairs on his own to deal with persistent smoking/drinking from a group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Drivers are strictly precluded from leaving their cabs - they must summon the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

So what's the procedure - the driver just pulls over the bus and calls the Gardai, or would they arrange to be waiting at a later stop on the route so as not to delay it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Depends, the proper thing to do is to contact the Gardai and have them meet the bus, but I was on a bus once where the driver was passing the Garda station in Cabra and there's a bus stop just across the road, so he stopped and called them and two officers came out of the station pretty quick sharpish to deal with the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The exact procedure is to call control and await instructions.

DB drivers are not insured if they leave their cabs to deal with incidents such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

DB have a (small) team of undercover staff who inspect buses for smokers. If they see someone, they have to take their details and bring them to court. Between the size of the fleet, the size of the team and the fact that at least two of the team have to give evidence in court, it's a pretty fruitless task.

Also, from what I've heard, judges don't take these cases seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭Heroditas

-Chris- wrote: »
    DB need to send on STT guys

I'd love to see this happening. It might cut out some of the bad behaviour on some of the buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

markpb wrote: »
    Also, from what I've heard, judges don't take these cases seriously.
    That is the main problem across the whole transport system when dealing with scumbags. The staff do their job and the case goes to court where nothing happens it maybe a small fine is issued, the same people get caught again and again but never pay the fines so they are back in court a year or two later for non payment of fines and might get a week in jail tagged onto some sentence they are already serving or which has been suspended due to no spaces in the prisons.

Now there is a campaign to stop the incarceration of those who refuse to pay fines issued by the courts.

How are these people to be dealt with?

Advertisement