Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Rewire

Options
  • 21-08-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We've just bought an old house - 1950's. Needs a full rewire.

Can I get any advice on whether part of the quote that we have received looks ok?
    Immersion heater c/w 24hr time clock 120.00

Three channel time clock to control heating zones
    Via room thermostats and cylinder stat and supply
    Gas boiler system. 450.00

1 centre light 70
    4 recessed lights 240
    4.socket outlets 5amp lighting 240
    4 twin socket outlets 13amp 320
    3no.tv outlets to main tv point(min requirement) 180

He's seems great, this guy. We've another few coming this week to give a quote also. Anyone wanna pm some details of other electricians, please let me know.

Quote: with regard to the quote -
    Should the quote be split into parts and labour rather than all in as above.
    Is it appropriate to source you own materials for cheaper? For example, we're having some recess lighting put in - should we be asking what type he is putting in or get our own if we like something different
    Should I expect to just pay the agreed pirce regardless or is it a thing that omething always crops up?

Electrician - naturally, he should be registered. Is there a difference between REGI and AEGI? How do I confirm if they are registered? Insurance - again, how do I confirm if they are fully insured.

Compliance: the work, of course, must be certified. Is this simply a piece of paper thats offered at the end of the work. Is there any on-line examples anywhere. Is there any booklet available to explain what certified is - ie how far the light switches must be from the ground etc. Or am I being too pedantic and just trust the electricians.

Probably silly to ask - do we need to plaster the walls ourselves after the rewire. I doubt thats included in the quote for a rewire.

Also, are there any extras we should get at this time. He has suggested wiring for an alarm when we get one which is a good idea. And wiring for the outdoor lighting if ever we get enough money for that. But what about CAT 6 for the internet - not exactly sure what it is. An what about the new Saorview - is there any special wiring we should be getting now with respect to saorview?

Lastly, any good websites that explains electricity for dummies!!

Any advice that you can offer to us would be appreciated. Its our first time doing anything like this and we just want to get it right.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Can anyone help?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

hi karlitob
    firstly congratulations on your new house
    i think most contractors are wary of giving an estimate here as no matter what the costing ,someone will criticize it
    my advice is to draw up a specification with the number of points
    i.e sockets ,lights,tv,data etc and get at least 4 quotes from registered contractors
    http://reci.ie/ConsumerServices/Findanelectrician/tabid/57/Default.aspx

http://www.ecssa.ie/find_contractor.html

if he is a member then he will be insured

you would mostly get an all in cost including materials(ask to see samples of downlights,sockets etc)as most contractors will want to supply and fit
    ask for a quote in writing and make sure that if extras are requested ,that a cost be agreed before hand
    a completion cert should be submitted to the relevant body and the new main cable be reconnected to the meter(there is a cost here to you,@€;180)
    if you are only re-wiring,i would get the electrical contractor to include plastering and making good any chasing as this will ensure a perfect finish(electrician blames plasterer/plasterer blames electrician)
    lastly and most importantly..........
    ask to see his last rewire job
    best of luck and come back with an update

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

hi there,

thanks so much for getting back to me. Appreciate the advice.

Wow, can you actually ask to see his last rewire job - I didnt think that was something you could do at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

absolutely
    ask for a reference of recently completed work or current projects

Advertisement