Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Could be cheap ink but Id put money on it that it was the Bepanthen that caused it :)

A+D btw is the same as bepanthen.

Extract from the Tattoo artists Black Book.
    The first thing I want you to put on your tattoo is pure acetone and
    used engine oil. What, you don’t like the sound of that? That’s what everyone
    has been doing for years. Maybe not those chemicals but they have been
    putting crap that pulls out the pigment causing fading, and seals bacteria in
    the skin, and you as an artist tell people to do this every day. Lets use our
    heads here a little. Tattoo pigments are a chemical housed in a carrier
    solution. For the exact nature look back at the pigment section, but the most
    used carrier solution is water, and glycerin. Tattoo artist are telling people to
    put chemicals like “A+D Ointment”, “Neosporin” Bacitracion, “ Vasoline”,
    Petroleum Jelly, “Triple Anti-Biotic Ointment”, and Other chemicals like
    brand name “Tattoo Goo”. Every one of these chemicals are oil based. Have
    you ever mixed oil and water? They don’t mix. The oil base in these chemicals
    pull out the pigment of your tattoo. You say “I’ve used that for years and
    mine are fine.”, then good for you. Do you remember when you plastered that
    crap on your tattoo? Ever seen the pigment running down your skin two or
    three days after it was done? What about waking up in the morning to find the
    outline of your tattoo on your sheet? It’s not suppose to do that. That would
    be the pigment leaving your skin. I know that there will be a handful of artist
    that will stick to old faithful, but for the rest of us with a brain, lets look a
    little further. The products that are made for tattoo healing are all oil based.
    The only reason they are a product is because you buy it for five bucks and
    sell it to your clients for fifteen. When I use to recommend those products I
    was doing five or six touch ups a week. After I stopped, I bet I have only done
    ten in the entire year of 2008. One out of every five clients are allergic to
    them also. Symptoms include swelling, infection, red rash around the tattoo,
    almost all of the pigment coming out, a healing time of more that six weeks,
    and massive scarring. I refuse to carry any of these products in my shop. If
    that’s not good enough for you then how about some more medical facts.
    Oil based products like “A+D ointment” are zero oxygen barriers. What
    this means in that lack of oxygen will stop the healing process. Hepatitis can
    live for a few days on a dirty surface, and once exposed to the air, HIV can
    only live for seven seconds. In a zero oxygen environment HIV can live in “
    A+D “ for more than six weeks, and Hep can live indefinitely. So if you get
    Hep in a jar of vasoline it can still infect you ten years later. Here is some
    food for thought, “A+D” is a chemical designed for diaper rash. For diaper
    rash it’s the number one product out there, but for a tattoo it causes more
    than a thousand cases of staff infection per year, and one in every ten will
    have an allergic reaction form use on a tattoo. As a matter of fact it says right
    on the tube to not use this product on open wounds. “A+D” is made from
    lanolin, which is boiled sheep wool and “non-sterile, non-medical grade
    petroleum.” I don’t want that in my open wound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Hmm, that might explain it. I did use Bepanthen for the first few days, then switched to E45. Again though, their aftercare instructions specifically stated to use Bepanthen. I think I actually have them lying around somewhere, so if I find them I can bring them in with me because I followed their aftercare instructions to the letter! Ah well, guess we'll see what happens when I go in.

On another note, just home from a run. Only managed to do 3k because my legs are feckin' killing me from bootcamp last night, really felt the burn in my thighs!

All done now though, time to flake out and then an early night because I'm in with the doctor tomorrow morning before work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I've always used bepanthen on mine and they are fine but i dont want to anymore after reading that haha is there a recommended product to use instead??? or just keep it clean with warm water and a mild soap???

Im just home about an hr from strong-man and i did a spinning class this morning jesus im in bits at the mo!! cant wait for the morning :p

gregers85 wrote: »
    I've always used bepanthen on mine and they are fine but i dont want to anymore after reading that haha is there a recommended product to use instead??? or just keep it clean with warm water and a mild soap???

Im just home about an hr from strong-man and i did a spinning class this morning jesus im in bits at the mo!! cant wait for the morning :p

Unscented lotions seem to be the way to go if you want to keep it moisturised. that's why I switched to E45 after reading bad things about Bepanthen on here! :pac:

Jesus, fair play. I'd say you're in a right state now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I've always used a mix of soap and water, bepanthen and cling film when healing.

Haven't had any issues so far, now I'm going to be 2nd guessing myself :o

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Unscented lotions seem to be the way to go if you want to keep it moisturised. that's why I switched to E45 after reading bad things about Bepanthen on here! :pac:

Jesus, fair play. I'd say you're in a right state now!

Yeh im in bits!! i cant even muster the energy to get the remote control to change channel at the mo lol

Yeh im in bits!! i cant even muster the energy to get the remote control to change channel at the mo lol

I'm the same. I can't will myself to go get my laptop charger, and my laptop's gonna die shortly. :pac:

I'm the same. I can't will myself to go get my laptop charger, and my laptop's gonna die shortly. :pac:

im at 22% battery life myself!! im not long for this world either lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20310478_20234012_20525218,00.html

This stuff and nothing else for healing.This is the method I use and I loose no ink.Have minimal scabbing and shorter healing times.

Heres the rest of that article--Well its actually 2 pages from the book.The book is free to read and distribute so if anyone wants a copy Im allowed to send it on.

Again.
    From the "Tattoo artists Black Book"
    Richard Lemay
    Mad Hatter Tattoos

Ok, so now that I have completely destroyed what every one was ever
    taught about tattoo after care, what the hell do we use? Its much easier and
    much less expensive. Soap and lotion. A tattoo takes on average about ten
    days to heal all the way. For the entire course of the tattoo healing you want
    to wash the tattoo with antibacterial soap. The soap you want is the non
    scented soap. You can get “Dial” of the cheep equivalent. Any soap with
    perfumes in it will cause more irritation. Most of the perfumes in soaps and
    lotions contain rubbing alcohol to dilute the chemical. Rubbing alcohol will
    burn, and dry out the tattoo. It will cause you body to work three and four
    times harder to heal as well as braking up the pigment under your skin. Why
    antibacterial soap? A tattoo is still a wound. Infection does not come from a
    tattoo shop. You get infection from hitting your exposed wound on something
    else that’s infected. You wash it two or three times a day to prevent
    infection. After two days “48 hours” you can apply a small amount of non
    scented lotion. You need to wait two days because the tattoo is still setting
    up, or getting the protective layer over it. If you apply lotion too soon you
    will coat the tattoo in a layer that will hold in bacteria. If you apply the
    lotion too soon, there is a chance your tattoo will get red and irritated as well
    as up the chances for you to get an infection. Non scented lotion is for the
    same reason, perfumes and alcohol. If you use a lotion that burns when you
    apply it, then you are using the wrong lotion. The best part is that you can go
    to your local everything store and get the small bottles in the travel section
    of about fifty cents. One small tube will last the entire tattoo. So you have a
    dollar in the soap and fifty cents in the lotion, you can’t beat that.
    Just a few of the advantages to the soap and lotion method will more
    than impress compared to oil based products. You save money, your colors
    will be brighter than you have ever seen and they will stay like that. I did a
    large set of grey wash flowers on my fiancé, and no one believes they are
    more than three weeks old. The fact is I did them more than a year and a half
    ago. They still look brand new, and will be as black as the day I did them
    when she is ninety. Your tattoo will not seep after thirty minutes. This means
    that you will not stain your clothes or your sheets, and you don’t have to fight
    that oil out of your clothes when you wash them and because there is no
    blood present to scab, the tattoo just lightly peels like a sunburn. I’m sorry
    but as an artist I want my work to look the best it can. I’m not going to sell
    my clients crap that destroys my work and there tattoo. I cut my expenses in
    half not having to do as many touch ups. If you have to sell something in the
    display case, sell a few different types of lotion and antibacterial soap.
    Sometimes you will see heavy scabbing using this method. This means that the
    client is not using the lotion often enough. My challenge to you, is do one
    tattoo on your self and heal it with soap and lotion like I said, If you don’
    think it’s a hundred percent difference after three months, to see how bright
    the tattoo stays, then throw my book away and tell everyone I’m a quack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Well, there's a question that I was trying to form answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Hellrazer wrote: »
    http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20310478_20234012_20525218,00.html

This stuff and nothing else for healing.This is the method I use and I loose no ink.Have minimal scabbing and shorter healing times.

I've also heard a lot of praise for Lush's Dream Cream. I haven't used it to heal a tattoo yet but as a general moisturiser I find it absolutely brilliant. Bit pricy but a little goes a long way so a tub lasts ages.

On the clingfilm front when I got my tattoo done I was told I didn't need clingfilm since it was in a place that wouldn't have get irritated by clothes rubbing off it and the like. I know however that the same artist tells people to wear clingfilm in other areas of the body. My next tattoo, God knows when I can afford it, will be on my arm so just wondering will I need to wear something on it to stop it getting irritated or is it grand without it? If I do need to wear something what can I wear instead of clingfilm?

I've also heard a lot of praise for Lush's Dream Cream. I haven't used it to heal a tattoo yet but as a general moisturiser I find it absolutely brilliant. Bit pricy but a little goes a long way so a tub lasts ages.

On the clingfilm front when I got my tattoo done I was told I didn't need clingfilm since it was in a place that wouldn't have get irritated by clothes rubbing off it and the like. I know however that the same artist tells people to wear clingfilm in other areas of the body. My next tattoo, God knows when I can afford it, will be on my arm so just wondering will I need to wear something on it to stop it getting irritated or is it grand without it? If I do need to wear something what can I wear instead of clingfilm?

My rule of thumb for covering tattoos is to cover them if there is going to be something rubbing off them (eg a jumper or bedsheets) and leave them open when there isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I have watched (500) Days of Summer a million times and only now do I find out the narrator is not Morgan Freeman but a voice actor impersonating Morgan Freeman. :eek: Guessing it was a budgetary thing. Shows how fecking ridiculous this obsession with Freeman's voice has gotten though. The narrator is barely used in the movie, I highly doubt someone whose voice wasn't similar to Freeman's would have made that much of a difference. Even cutting out the narration wouldn't have change the movie all that much. It just seems like such a weird thing to do...

Set my alarm for 8am, went to sleep in or around 1am. Woke up at 3.30 and was up all night/morning. Sleep pattern, why do you detest me so?

Today I have a doc appointment, work and bootcamp. I painted my nails bright pink, have my hair straightened, my make up done, my breakfast is going to be made soon and I still have time to go online. REALLY productive today. :D

How's everyone this morning? :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I never knew that about Bepanthen. I think every few years there's a new lotion or potion that's supposed to heal tattoos better than all the previous concoctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Eso just so you're aware, E45 is lanolin based too, so it's similar to bepanthen.

Eso just so you're aware, E45 is lanolin based too, so it's similar to bepanthen.

Ah Jesus, I'll just spit on the next one regularly to keep it moisturised! :pac: Cheers for that, didn't know that tbh. Guess I'll be on a hunt for a non-lanolin based, unperfumed lotion soon!

I'm in the waiting room for my doctor, and some woman has been ranting the whole time about her ex husband, her baby, fights she's been in, her job and other things. Then she announces that her baby's name is fresh meadow. She has to be on drugs to call a baby that. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Damn hippies with their silly names! I wonder is it a sort of double-barrelled first name, or is the first name Fresh, and Meadow is the middle name.

I was dealing with a customer once and his name was GodSend! I shit you not haha

Denny M wrote: »
    Damn hippies
    with their silly names! I wonder is it a sort of double-barrelled first
    name, or is the first name Fresh, and Meadow is the middle name.

She's not even a hippie, she's a scumbag. The first name is fresh, middle name meadow, but she calls the baby meadow. I feel so sorry for that poor baby. :pac:

I'd love to be called godsend, that's a legendary name, ahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ah Jesus, I'll just spit on the next one regularly to keep it moisturised! :pac: Cheers for that, didn't know that tbh. Guess I'll be on a hunt for a non-lanolin based, unperfumed lotion soon!

Hellrazer has recommended it a bunch of times:
    100908_johnsons_400x400.jpg

Hellrazer has recommended it a bunch of times:
    100908_johnsons_400x400.jpg

Oh yeah, I saw that, but I don't use Johnson products. Might have to resort to it, though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

She's not even a hippie, she's a scumbag. The first name is fresh, middle name meadow, but she calls the baby meadow. I feel so sorry for that poor baby. :pac:

I'd love to be called godsend, that's a legendary name, ahaha.
    With a name like Fresh Meadow, they'll always be a hippie to me :P I remember in school everyone thought it was really weird that I didn't have a middle name. My mam didn't give any of us a middle name cause she hates hers, and didn't want to lumber us with something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

^ can you get unscented Johnsons baby lotion?
    I always found it particularly harsh when kids were small, actually most Johnsons products...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I was dealing with a customer once and his name was GodSend! I shit you not haha

A guy who was a few years below me in school was called Godknows (not sure if it's actually spelled that way though). All I remember is being at a youth gig and asking who was on first, to which someone replied "Godknows". Brilliant name! XD

Just out from the doc, getting some stuff sorted. Turns out I've lost seventeen pounds (nearly one and a quarter stone) in the five and a half weeks since I saw her, so she's delighted with me. No bloody wonder my jeans were hanging off, I thought I'd only lost eight or so pounds? Delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Just out from the doc, getting some stuff sorted. Turns out I've lost seventeen pounds (nearly one and a quarter stone) in the five and a half weeks since I saw her, so she's delighted with me. No bloody wonder my jeans were hanging off, I thought I'd only lost eight or so pounds? Delighted!

Good stuff Lyn. Guess you're doing something right so!! Keep up the good work.

Congrats Lyn!

Congrats, whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it. :)

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Congrats, whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it. :)

Simple diet and exercise. All the people who say it doesn't work are bloody liars. :pac:

Think this calls for some vodka on the weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement