Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sometimes, the instructors can be a bit out of date with what should be done, to be perfectly honest! I'd recommend doing a quick look around (even here on Boards) to see if there are any instructors that are particularly recommended for pre-test lessons. By the sound of it, a little polish and you'll be laughing.

I failed the first time because I simply wasn't ready. 2nd time they had me reverse round the most awkward corner in the world, which is initially sharp, then eases off, then is sharp again. My back tyre went up on the kerb at the second sharp bit because I misjudged it, and I failed on that.

Yeah, just going to have to practice using the folks car and do the test in it seeing as I don't want to have to spend hundreds on pretests and car rental. I've never really taken lessons for anything to be honest, I just prefer to work things out by myself. Sure why should driving be any different

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You shouldn't have to spend much on pre-test lessons or car rental, so long as you're covered in your folks car it should be fine, and honestly, from the sound of it, one pre-test lesson with someone with a good reputation/result record would help sort everything out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

@ P_1 - don't be too disheartened. Happens to the best of us. Took me 4 attempts to get it, and when I DID finally get it, the tester couldn't understand how I had been failed the previous times. Like Damo said, just put it down to experience and chill for the evening.

On another note, I'm heading to Timahoe this evening (never heard of it either! LOL) to have a look at a car. Fingers crossed this is the one. If it works out, it's a feckin' bargain!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

On another note, I'm heading to Timahoe this evening (never heard of it either! LOL) to have a look at a car. Fingers crossed this is the one. If it works out, it's a feckin' bargain!! :D

Fingers crossed chief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Sorry to hear that, P_1, better luck next time.

Fingers crossed for ya, PKM. :)

So, what I thought was a hangover turns out to be a really nasty flu. I can't breathe very well, can't see straight, and have been dizzy with a massive headache for a few days. Can't even call in sick tomorrow because I'm the only person working. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

P_1 wrote: »
    Yeah, just going to have to practice using the folks car and do the test in it seeing as I don't want to have to spend hundreds on pretests and car rental. I've never really taken lessons for anything to be honest, I just prefer to work things out by myself. Sure why should driving be any different

The problem with driving is that anyone can teach themselves to drive it really not that hard takes some skill and mostly just plain good common sense and cop on.

Problem with our driving test is they don't test motorway driving which they really should, and don't do emergency manoeuvres testing and instead judge drivers on some ridiculous things imo. But these ridiculous things you can't teach yourself you do need to be shown what the instructors are looking for.

Best of luck PKM hopefully she turns out to be a nice clean motor that fits the bill :).

Meeting a personal trainer tomorrow who is an acquaintance who is going to do a workout with me and give me a specific diet plan to help me along. Hopefully I feel back to normal tomorrow or it will be hell on earth :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    So, what I thought was a hangover turns out to be a really nasty flu. I can't breathe very well, can't see straight, and have been dizzy with a massive headache for a few days. Can't even call in sick tomorrow because I'm the only person working. :(

I feel you're pain. Tummy bug here, the toilet is my new best friend :(

The problem with driving is that anyone can teach themselves to drive it really not that hard takes some skill and mostly just plain good common sense and cop on.

Problem with our driving test is they don't test motorway driving which they really should, and don't do emergency manoeuvres testing and instead judge drivers on some ridiculous things imo. But these ridiculous things you can't teach yourself you do need to be shown what the instructors are looking for.

Yeah some of the stuff they want you to do for it are plain stupid. I think I have an idea on what they're looking for now just don't want to waste 30 lids a pop practicing for it though if ye get me

P_1 wrote: »

Yeah some of the stuff they want you to do for it are plain stupid. I think I have an idea on what they're looking for now just don't want to waste 30 lids a pop practicing for it though if ye get me

Sucks ya didn't get through. Passed first time round myself with an instructor who had 100% pass rate. The man is a legend, an ex-Garda too :)

Did a pre-test beforehand and was driving back to the centre. Would you believe 3 young stag deer ran out in front of me. Managed the car fine, used to sheep escaping living in the country. Instructor couldn't stop complimenting my reaction, he was a little pale :)

Get a good handle on the car you're going to use as well as an efficient instructor. Took me ages to get used to a car with power steering but flew the test with it no bother.

Found something to match Lyn's Batman's cardigan! :pac: :P

What I want to know is what the hell were ya looking for that you found a pic like that? :p.

• Advertisement

FoxyVixen wrote: »

Get a good handle on the car you're going to use as well as an efficient instructor. Took me ages to get used to a car with power steering but flew the test with it no bother.

+1 on this it why both times I used my own car wanted to be comfortable and feel assured in what I was driving.

If you aren't doing it in your own car then do it and an instructors car or any car you have driven before. Electric mirrors come in handy for one of the bits supposedly a lot of people have trouble with reversing around corners ;).

Fingers crossed chief!
    Esoteric_ wrote: »

Fingers crossed for ya, PKM. :)

Best of luck PKM hopefully she turns out to be a nice clean motor that fits the bill :).

Cheers all, just back now. Jaysus, 72 miles out, 72 miles back. :rolleyes: I got myself a 2002 Nissan Primera. She's a 2.2 dCi with Climate Control, Air Con, ABS, Reverse Camera, alloys, etc. etc. Owned by a guy who works in a quarry so it's manky, but she's running sweet. The onboard computer told me I was averaging 44.5 MPG coming home. I bargained him down from €1300 to €800. :D

It might not sound like much, but bear in mind I've been driving a 1997 Mazda for the last few years, so this is a big step up for me! :pac: I do a bit of car valeting on the side, so I'll have her sparkling in a few hours.

Cheers all, just back now. Jaysus, 72 miles out, 72 miles back. :rolleyes: I got myself a 2002 Nissan Primera. She's a 2.2 dCi with Climate Control, Air Con, ABS, Reverse Camera, alloys, etc. etc. Owned by a guy who works in a quarry so it's manky, but she's running sweet. The onboard computer told me I was averaging 44.5 MPG coming home. I bargained him down from €1300 to €800. :D

It might not sound like much, but bear in mind I've been driving a 1997 Mazda for the last few years, so this is a big step up for me! :pac: I do a bit of car valeting on the side, so I'll have her sparkling in a few hours.

Happy days, sound like you got a decent motor:), good bargaining skills aswell im a soft touch on that stuff :o. Hefty on the tax at 2.2 but im sure the fuel saving will make up for that, you be pretty much getting twice what I get mine averages mid to low twentys.

Nothing better than spending hours cleaning the car and standing back and looking at it sparkling :),Ive been known to spend up to 6- 8 hours cleaning mine.

Happy days, sound like you got a decent motor:), good bargaining skills aswell im a soft touch on that stuff :o. Hefty on the tax at 2.2 but im sure the fuel saving will make up for that, you be pretty much getting twice what I get mine averages mid to low twentys.

Nothing better than spending hours cleaning the car and standing back and looking at it sparkling :),Ive been known to spend up to 6- 8 hours cleaning mine.

Cheers. Yeah, I was a contract negotiator for Ryanair, I can haggle with the best of 'em! :D Well the car is also NCT'd and taxed so I'll be alright for a while, but yeah, I'll save a fortune on juice so that'll help big time to save money.

As for cleaning, I'm almost OCD when it comes to cleaning, especially the car/bike. Can't wait to get stuck into it and have no problem spending hours doing it. It's almost therapeutic. :)

As for cleaning, I'm almost OCD when it comes to cleaning, especially the car/bike. Can't wait to get stuck into it and have no problem spending hours doing it. It's almost therapeutic. :)

:pac: yeh im the exact same its like one I start I can't stop when it comes to the car, ill clean one bit then I'll always find one bit that im not quite happy with like the underside of the bonnet or the black trim on the engine bay etc so I know that feeling very well and once its done I just love the car smelling all fresh and taking it for a drive especially on a sunny day.

Cheers. Yeah, I was a contract negotiator for Ryanair, I can haggle with the best of 'em! :D

Seriously? Sounds like a cool job. Were you in charge of buying planes? A ryanair negotiator with tattoos - move over die hard, PKM is in town :)

Cheers. Yeah, I was a contract negotiator for Ryanair, I can haggle with the best of 'em! :D Well the car is also NCT'd and taxed so I'll be alright for a while, but yeah, I'll save a fortune on juice so that'll help big time to save money.

I remember trying to sell to Ryanair once....
    Key word was trying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Ryanair negotiate??????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

tumblr_mjsvuc33MQ1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

why would you ever put this tattoo up on public....it's terrible

Arawn wrote: »
    why would you ever put this tattoo up on public....it's terrible

yeh I dont get it either! iv seen worse tho!! there's a guy here in limerick scratching and he's doing some of the worst tattoo's iv ever seen. he has a facebook page full of crap! and he has all these eejits commenting telling him how great he is!! stuff is really awful haha id love to show ye but I know the guy and my username isn't good enough to hide my identity haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ill take a PM Gregers :D

Melion wrote: »
    Ill take a PM Gregers :D

ill send it on later to yu bud! its a facebook page and they have it blocked at work!! nd i dont have a fancy pants smart phone lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

gregers85 wrote: »
    ill send it on later to yu bud! its a facebook page and they have it blocked at work!! nd i dont have a fancy pants smart phone lol

Is it a Garryowen based "artist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

ill be having that too

Melion wrote: »
    Is it a Garryowen based "artist"?

i dont know where he is living now but he was from st. mary's area

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Sure send me on the link too, it'll be funny to see some of the "great" work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

gregers85 wrote: »
    I know the guy and my username isn't good enough to hide my identity haha

You're dead right, one search and I know your name, location, what you look like and that you love Bret the Hitman Hart and Snow Leopards :eek:

Also, pm please :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

maximoose wrote: »
    You're dead right, one search and I know your name, location, what you look like and that you love Bret the Hitman Hart and Snow Leopards :eek:

a/s/l type pm is it?

Ill take a pm aswell please :).

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »

yeh i just googled myself haha i must close my bebo account lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement