Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Worrying about my dog, she's in at the vets tonight and may have to get a surgery in the morning to remove her womb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Whilst I understand that spaying/neutering is a kind thing to do to insure against any unwanted litters, part of me is like "Why are you denying the world a litter of cute puppies?" One of my biggest regrets in life is not breeding a litter with my Japanese Spitz/Samoyed cross. She had the nicest, loyalist and most loving temperment on any dog I've ever encountered in my life before or since.
    A big ball of white fluff. Sadly, she died about 7 years ago and we never found a suitable mate for her. :(
    On the flip side, my current dog nearly died of a womb infection the Christmas before last so spaying was our only option. She's sound as a pound now but I do get wistful when I think about the fact I might never have puppies running around the house any time soon.
    I hope someday when I come to own my own home that I can take up a stay-at-home writing job and breed Pugs for enjoyment. Love being surrounded by animals- having two dogs with different personalities is very rewarding-especially when you're a lonely gal like myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

We bred off her before, got 8 pure bred rottweilers, and they were all so adorable. I'm very definitely a dog person, I'm really attached to all the dogs we have, but Lady (the one who's sick) would be "my" dog, and she'd be far more affectionate to me than the rest of the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Awh damn Denny, sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that she'll be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I don't have any pictures of Chloe on hand but she looked a lot like this as a pup:
    8W-9.JPG

And now thinking about her, I made myself sad... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

McChubbin wrote: »
    I hope someday when I come to own my own home that I can take up a stay-at-home writing job and breed Pugs for enjoyment. Love being surrounded by animals- having two dogs with different personalities is very rewarding-especially when you're a lonely gal like myself.

:eek: I've always wanted a stay at home writing job, that's nothing new, but breeding pugs for enjoyment...can I steal your dream please? :P

Really sorry to here about your dog Denny, hope everything works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

:eek: I've always wanted a stay at home writing job, that's nothing new, but breeding pugs for enjoyment...can I steal your dream please? :P

Really sorry to here about your dog Denny, hope everything works out.

One pug pup is tough enough work for me, don't think I could handle looking after a lot of them.

Hopefully things work out with your own madra Denny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Not sure what to do with our boxer, whether to let her have a litter of pups or not. She's not 3 til September so we have a few more years to decide anyway. She's daft as a brush, I couldn't imagine her looking after a litter :D

If she did have pups we would have a problem because we also have a staffie bitch, I'd hate to see the 2 of them in a fight if she got too close to the pups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

@Denny, so sorry to hear that about your dog. Is it pyometria?? My heart goes out to you, I'd be a wreck if it were my girl.

Why would anybody want to breed their dogs in this climate?? The amount that end up in rescues is ridiculous and the situation is only getting worse as more people are emigrating. I wouldn't breed unless I had homes checked out in advance before the mating even occurred.

I love my girl to bits, and would love to have her bloodline continue and play with a bunch of fluffy pups. But the way this country's attitude is towards how dogs are treated, I wouldn't want to part with the pups unless I Nazi patrolled the "homes to be". Especially since people haven't a clue how to handle an Akita - the amount of 6month olds ending in the pound when they lose their cuteness and their stubborn traits start taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Totally agree with FoxyVixen. As much as I love puppies, I wouldn't breed a dog just for the sake of it, given that there's so so many healthy dogs destroyed every year just because there isn't enough homes...

• Advertisement

I don't agree with breeding very much.

I understand the necessity in that you want to keep decent amounts of every single breed of dog alive, so none go 'extinct,' but this breeding to sell them on thing I don't like much.

I'd rather take in a rescue dog, which is what I did. Raising any dog is hard work, and I know some people like pure breds, but why the fcuk would you breed dogs when so many dogs are rescued each year and have nowhere to go? I know the breeder doesn't keep the dogs, they're sold on, but ugh, people are stupid. Instead of buying from a breeder, you could rescue a dog that needs love.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sorry to hear about your dog Denny :(.

I don't know much about dogs myself but have a mate who has owned dogs hhis own life an he always swears by getting dogs from the pound and never going for pure breeds as he says they have more health problems generally.

Hope everyone had a good Sunday, feels weird not being hungover on a Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your dog Denny :(.

I don't know much about dogs myself but have a mate who has owned dogs hhis own life an he always swears by getting dogs from the pound and never going for pure breeds as he says they have more health problems generally.

Heard that myself, always wondered was it from inbreeding or something, but no idea really.

I feel pretty weird not being hungover, too. Kind of a good weird, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Heard that myself, always wondered was it from inbreeding or something, but no idea really.

I think he said its something to do with a lot of pure breeds having genetic faults mixed with the amount of inbreeding going on within a country so small. Like I said im no expert so I can stand to be corrected :).

I think he said its something to do with a lot of pure breeds having genetic faults mixed with the amount of inbreeding going on within a country so small. Like I said im no expert so I can stand to be corrected :).

Yeah, that's why I thought it was to do with inbreeding, because I heard that there's lots of genetically caused health complications with some pure breds. Genetic based health issues would make me assume there was inbreeding.

On the topic of dogs, my dog got a wee bit hyper tonight. After work, she threw herself on my lap and kept smacking me in the boob with her paw for about 5 minutes. When that didn't work for getting my attention, she scratched me in the neck, the little bítch. :pac: Then she got hyper and spent about 20 minutes trying to bite my hand until eventually she got bored and stole one of my shoes from the floor and ran off to her bed to chew it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Technically yes, but this isn't always the case. If you get a dog from the pound, you've no idea who their parents were and what health implications might happen down the line. Just because a dog is a mixed breed does not mean it'll be any healthier. It can also go the other way and inherit all the negative genetic material from its parents and be much more unhealthy than a purebred whose parents have actually been health tested before mating occurs.

That is to say of those breeders who actually health test their dogs before breeding - a requirement if you want official papers with your dog. People think there's money in breeding dogs - there's sweet feck all at the end of it when it's done professionally, making every effort to ensure the litter is healthy.

Yes alot of the issues we see today are inherited disorders and this is down to closing gene pools, however, again people who breed to keep the animal healthy will fly to other parts of the world for the mating, or buy in a new pup so as to ensure there is little inbreeding side effects.

Official showing of dogs doesn't necessarily mean that the dog is healthy mind you. All you have to do is look at the incredibly diminishing straight back of the German Shephard or the reduced muzzle length in King Charles.

Sorry, went on a rant :o. Dogs are my thing and when I see these myths perpetuated I feel the need to have them corrected :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

In regards inbreeding, I wouldn't be surprised if there was quite a few problems with it. I worked in what most people would presume is a reputable pet shop which was part of a chain and I know for a fact a lot of the rodents were inbred, not sure about the other animals. It was the breeder who was breeding them of course but the pet shop was buying them in despite previous signs of inbreeding. So I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of dog breeders are inbreeding.

That said, as Foxy mentiond, a crossbred rescue dog is not guaranteed to be healthy. I had a rescue dog and her health was never good. We had to put her down at three when her pancreas collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I don't like the whole why would you want a pure breed when you could have a rescue dog thing. IT's the persons choice what pet they want and isn't anyone else's business. We had a stray that we took in, yet whenever I mention wanting a pure breed people always tell me I should get a rescue like it's any of their business.

Arawn wrote: »
    I don't like the whole why would you want a pure breed when you could have a rescue dog thing. IT's the persons choice what pet they want and isn't anyone else's business. We had a stray that we took in, yet whenever I mention wanting a pure breed people always tell me I should get a rescue like it's any of their business.

This^^^^^

We have a purebred Boxer that cost €350 and a Staffie that we rescued from the pound, its the persons choice.

At some point i want a British Bulldog, i have come across one in an irish rescue in the last 5 years of looking so what should i do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I am a sad boy today

TS1463_1.jpg

• Advertisement

I hate when my iPod breaks. It means I have to interact with people again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Condolences Maxi. It's always a hard time when one loses a MP3 player :pac:

I was two and half hours early for work. It was great :rolleyes: Although I got to go home and have pancakes so it's not all bad.

How the heck did you wind up being that early for it?

He was a trooper of an Ipod too. About a year ago when there was really bad rain and flooding it got wet walking home in the rain and the battery packed in and wouldn't hold a charge anymore, then randomly started working again a couple of months later. What a hero :sad:

€220 for a new classic, ~€90 for HDD replacement. Think at £21 this itunes match jazz is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Denny M wrote: »
    How the heck did you wind up being that early for it?

Got my start time wrong. I meant to call in and check over the weekend but didn't bother. Ah well what ya going to do. Although I really could've done with the extra sleep.

I know the feeling, I got about 4 hours or so last night myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I don't have a problem with people who buy pure bred dogs, as long as they do their research and buy them off breeders who do it for the love of it, rather than supporting puppy farms. I used to work in a pet shop and the amount of people that used to come in with newly bought puppies, and were totally unaware of how very young, and riddled with fleas and worms the puppies were.

Arawn wrote: »

I think I asked why people would want a pure bred over a rescue dog. I wasn't saying it's not the person's choice, and never even implied that. I asked why, because I'm genuinely baffled, I don't understand the importance in having a pure bred.

I asked why, because I'm genuinely baffled, I don't understand the importance in having a pure bred.

It's not that it's important to simply have a pure bred of any kind. Some people just love certain breeds, whether it be for their appearances, characteristics, personality traits or whatever.

• Advertisement

I think I asked why people would want a pure bred over a rescue dog. I wasn't saying it's not the person's choice, and never even implied that. I asked why, because I'm genuinely baffled, I don't understand the importance in having a pure bred.

I love the look of a boxers, staffies, pitbulls, british bulldogs etc. Obviously i would rather rescue one but that option just isnt there for some breeds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement