Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Melion wrote: »
    I love the look of a boxers, staffies, pitbulls, british bulldogs etc. Obviously i would rather rescue one but that option just isnt there for some breeds.

That's fair enough. I just genuinely didn't know if it was a case of loving the look of a certain breed, or something else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

For some people it's because they genuinely like the breed. For some others, it's a status thing unfortunately. I love German Shepherds for example, just because I think they're so handsome. But I wouldn't be too keen on getting a show standard one, the sloped backs look awful and they're prone to hip displasia I think. I have a GSD cross that we got from a rescue and couldn't be happier with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I love the look of a boxers

I was never a fan of boxers until one day I was out walking the in-laws dog. Was just getting back into their estate and I heard the noise of another dog running towards us, turned around and saw this big strong beast of a boxer hurtling towards us and was getting geared up for a fight and our dog (a fairly big border collie pup) was ****ting itself - but the big slobbery beaut just wanted a play :pac:

Turns out he had been lost for 2-3 days and just wandering around the area, no collar, tag or chip and had him for about 5-6 hours going around trying to find the owner but no joy. A guy who had 2 boxers already took him in that night (we were heading off on holidays) and he was eventually rehomed, still see him the odd time and wish I could have kept him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

maximoose wrote: »
    I was never a fan of boxers until one day I was out walking the in-laws dog. Was just getting back into their estate and I heard the noise of another dog running towards us, turned around and saw this big strong beast of a boxer hurtling towards us and was getting geared up for a fight and our dog (a fairly big border collie pup) was ****ting itself - but the big slobbery beaut just wanted a play :pac:

Turns out he had been lost for 2-3 days and just wandering around the area, no collar, tag or chip and had him for about 5-6 hours going around trying to find the owner but no joy. A guy who had 2 boxers already took him in that night (we were heading off on holidays) and he was eventually rehomed, still see him the odd time and wish I could have kept him!

I couldnt recommend them enough. As i said before, daft as a brush but so lovable. All they want to do is play, sleep and drool(and eat your food, no matter how much you try and train them to do otherwise). Perfect with kids, perfect with other dogs, just all around perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I have no say in what dogs I'm left to look after. My brother tends to buy them and then leave it up to me to look after.

Last dog was a Red Setter, was left for me to look after. Of course when I moved out for a bit noone looked after the poor chap and we had to give him away to a hunter. Last I heard the chap was being put out to stud so I'd say he's happy enough.

2 days later he bought a Pug. I have a solid idea what might happen when I move out again...

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    I have no say in what dogs I'm left to look after. My brother tends to buy them and then leave it up to me to look after.

Last dog was a Red Setter, was left for me to look after. Of course when I moved out for a bit noone looked after the poor chap and we had to give him away to a hunter. Last I heard the chap was being put out to stud so I'd say he's happy enough.

2 days later he bought a Pug. I have a solid idea what might happen when I move out again...

I know he's your brother and all, but people like that shouldn't be allowed to have pets. :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Since I was a kid, we've had a Doberman, two Labradors, two Boxers, a smattering of jack russell terriers, a Rottweiler, two dachshunds and a basset hound. One of the jack russells we have now, she gave birth a few years back at the same time as our cat. The mother cat got killed on the road shortly after the kittens were born, so the jack russell wound up feeding both her own pups, and the baby kittens :pac:

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I know he's your brother and all, but people like that shouldn't be allowed to have pets. :mad:

Its strange, he plays with them, pays for all the food and vet stuff and all that but when it comes to feeding, cleaning up you know what and taking him for walks its always someone else.

The Red Setter just got too big for the folks to walk him and all that but the Pug shouldn't get too big for that.

P_1 wrote: »
    Its strange, he plays with them, pays for all the food and vet stuff and all that but when it comes to feeding, cleaning up you know what and taking him for walks its always someone else.

The Red Setter just got too big for the folks to walk him and all that but the Pug shouldn't get too big for that.

I get ya, but the feeding and walking bits are kind of vital for the dog's well-being. :(

Hopefully the pug will be fine. :)

I had to drop my phone in for repair this morning and im feckin lost without it. It got the dreaded S3 sudden death syndrome :(

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I get ya, but the feeding and walking bits are kind of vital for the dog's well-being. :(

Hopefully the pug will be fine. :)

Yeah I know. They always get fed and walked its just not their technical owner who does it if ye get what I mean

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Similar enough here p_1. The first dachshund we got, my older sister got him, then a week later she went off to Sligo, leaving the dog at ours. She'd been determined to get one of those horrible Chihuahua dogs at first so she could carry it around in a bag like those empty headed idiots who are famous for their parents being rich.

It's always been the way here though, the others get dogs that they always say are theirs, but it's always myself and my mam that are the ones who will walk and feed them. If we didn't do it, you can be sure nobody else would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

My childhood dog lives on a farm. He's very happy there.

Denny M wrote: »
    Similar enough here p_1. The first dachshund we got, my older sister got him, then a week later she went off to Sligo, leaving the dog at ours. She'd been determined to get one of those horrible Chihuahua dogs at first so she could carry it around in a bag like those empty headed idiots who are famous for their parents being rich.

It's always been the way here though, the others get dogs that they always say are theirs, but it's always myself and my mam that are the ones who will walk and feed them. If we didn't do it, you can be sure nobody else would.

It must be a horrible situation, if you and your mother didnt do it then the dogs would starve and never be walked.

Personally I don't mind it tbh, I get to do all the fun stuff like playing and walking the hound without having to pay any of the bills. Feeding and cleaning up scheisse doesn't bother me either.

With the Red Setter it just got to a stage where it wasn't fair on both the dog and the folks so we found a farm where he would be treated well and be happy for him to move to.

It must be a horrible situation, if you and your mother didnt do it then the dogs would starve and never be walked.
    Well we are happy to do it, it's just annoying that they profess that these dogs are "theirs", but they'll do sod all that doesn't involve cuddling the dog.

Well we are happy to do it, it's just annoying that they profess that these dogs are "theirs", but they'll do sod all that doesn't involve cuddling the dog.

I cant understand people like that. Get a teddy ffs

I cant understand people like that. Get a teddy ffs

Or a cat.

Orim wrote: »
    Or a cat.

Ugh, i hate cats.

But they're great. I prefer cats for the independance factor. We can both do our thing, until they're hungry.

Although I've been thinking about putting an aquarium together. But the cost for a decent one is pretty mental.

• Advertisement

my dog is sitting on top of my arm, and won't move. i can't even type properly ffs

But they're great. I prefer cats for the independance factor. We can both do our thing, until they're hungry.

Although I've been thinking about putting an aquarium together. But the cost for a decent one is pretty mental.

I do love cats too. They're so easy to look after, and they're amusing :p

Coldwater, tropical or marine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I miss having a dog. Too busy and poor for any pets at the moment. Considering getting a snake a few years ago but they can live for 25 years and I don't know where I'll be in 5 never mind 25. We have stray cats who we feed and have lived in our shed for a few years now but they're not tame so don't really think of them as pets personally.

On the subject of breeds I would love a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, I know they get bad press but when trained properly they're the most loving, friendly dogs ever. My friend has one and she's the friendliest dog I ever met.

On the subject of breeds I would love a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, I know they get bad press but when trained properly they're the most loving, friendly dogs ever. My friend has one and she's the friendliest dog I ever met.

Great dogs, friendly as can be. Only reason they have a bad rep is ignorance and people assuming they are all illegal fighting dogs :pac:

Ankhyu wrote: »
    I do love cats too. They're so easy to look after, and they're amusing :p

Coldwater, tropical or marine?

I'm not sure as it's something I've only half looked into at the moment. I love the look of a nice coral reef style tank so I'd imagine tropical. The colours are amazing.

Might try recreating the tank from Finding Nemo if I ever get around to it. Keep one clownfish in the main tank and another in a seperate one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

maximoose wrote: »
    Great dogs, friendly as can be. Only reason they have a bad rep is ignorance and people assuming they are all illegal fighting dogs :pac:

Exactly. I remember a few of us were at my friends before and there was no answer at the door so we went round the back. When my friends saw the dog they were afraid to go into the garden in case she was vicious. She was delighted to have new friends to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Would love to get a tank myself, but the expense is unreal!!

Have always wanted a siamese fighting fish. Their colours are amazing and their fins are just beautiful.

Is that a sayameeze fightin' fish?

Aye.

They fight wi' all l'uller fish, don't they?

No granda, just l'uller males

Is that why he's all alowen?

shudder.

I love people calling over who are/were afraid of staffies. Rogue changes their opinion within minutes, i get some strange looks when my 3yr old daughter is walking her though :D

• Advertisement

I'm not sure as it's something I've only half looked into at the moment. I love the look of a nice coral reef style tank so I'd imagine tropical. The colours are amazing.

Might try recreating the tank from Finding Nemo if I ever get around to it. Keep one clownfish in the main tank and another in a seperate one.

That'd be a saltwater or marine tank. Beautiful colours but it does take an awful lot of dedication, and money! It's like trying to create a mini eco-system in a tank, as everything in it is living. The corals, live rock and even the substrate.

I just have tropical myself. Fake plants, filter, heater, few different types of tetras and four catfish. Haven't the time, money or patience to go saltwater, even though they look amazing. I'm lazy :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement