Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Tattoo - I just got a tattoo. Can I give blood?
    No, you will be deferred for 4 months after getting a tattoo even if removed by laser treatment during that time.

Lynda when was your last one? You might be turned away.

http://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/FAQs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Just about to head out the door, for another afternoon of knocking on doors and listening to piss-poor excuses why people can't pay me the money they owe! :rolleyes: I'm skint but I still have to pay my way!

On the up side, at least the sun is shining. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I wanna give blood some time, but I'm not even sure what type I am. There's a chance I might be an O type, as that's my mother's type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Angron wrote: »
    I wanna give blood some time, but I'm not even sure what type I am. There's a chance I might be an O type, as that's my mother's type.

Do they tell you what you are once they drain you? I've no idea what I am either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Dunno. I might see if my GP knows what I am next time I'm in with him, he probably would.

Yup once you give blood then they'll tell what you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Lynda when was your last one? You might be turned away.

http://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/FAQs/

I'm about a week off the 4 month mark but was told it should be fine as it's so close to the 4 months.

Outline and shading done. Gonna blast some blue into it in a few weeks to finish it off :) I'll stick in a picture here later on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Angron wrote: »
    Adiboo wrote: »
    Do they tell you what you are once they drain you? I've no idea what I am either.

they dont tell you on the night what you are but you will get a letter from them a few weeks after donating thanking you and they will send you a blood donor card and your type will be on it!! my aunt is a nurse in the blood donor clinic here in limerick so have no choice but to give it :p

• Advertisement

Adiboo wrote: »
    Outline and shading done. Gonna blast some blue into it in a few weeks to finish it off :) I'll stick in a picture here later on!

Want pics naow!

Just watched Milk for the first time. Powerful film. Sean Penn and James Franco were really good.

Orim wrote: »
    Want pics naow!

I'd stick one up now, but it'd be mostly cling film and blood, so I think I'll hold off for a while :p

Cleared to donate, just in a queue now to get it done. I don't like needles. :pac:

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I don't like needles. :pac:

Just think about the free cookie afterwards :D

Cleared to donate, just in a queue now to get it done. I don't like needles. :pac:

It's grand, you'll barely notice. It's only a small little thing and you can always look away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Want pics naow!

Just watched Milk for the first time. Powerful film. Sean Penn and James Franco were really good.

Pics now agreed :).

Yeh it's a really good film I havent seen it in a few years I remeber I wasn't expecting much from it, but Sean Penn was brilliant in it and it was really well told.

I'd love to give blood but it will be a while before I can, be nice to know my blood type.

Also on a similar vein I have the organ donor box ticked on my driver license but touch wood I wont be in an accident but if I were I can't imagine people scrambling around to find it either, Is there a better card or something you can sign up to so that it will be on record kinda thing?

Pics now
    agreed :).

Yeh it's a really good film I havent seen it in a few years I remeber I
    wasn't expecting much from it, but Sean Penn was brilliant in it and it
    was really well told.

I'd love to give blood but it will be a while before I can, be nice to
    know my blood type.

Also on a similar vein I have the organ donor box ticked on my driver
    license but touch wood I wont be in an accident but if I were I can't
    imagine people scrambling around to find it either, Is there a better
    card or something you can sign up to so that it will be on record kinda
    thing?

I'll order ya one online tonight and give it to ya when it arrives, there's one you can get that is the same shape and size as a credit card so you can keep it in your wallet.

It's grand, you'll barely notice. It's only a small little thing and you can always look away.

I hope you dont have to say that to a lot of women :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I wish I could give blood but I'm so unbelievably squeamish when it comes to it, it's not funny :( I once told a nurse not to take blood from my right arm as they always have trouble finding the vein there, that my left arm is better, and also I get kinda faint when I'm giving a blood sample.

What did she do anyway?? "Ah sure I'll try the right arm first, it's closer to me!". I'd say she regretted it! After she had trouble on my right arm and said she'd have to try the left then I passed out for about 5 minutes. Got some free Lucozade out of it though :D

Tattoo needles are fine with me strangely :S

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I wish I was able to give blood but thanks to the diabetes they don't want any of mine. Shockingly enough needles don't bother me in the slightest.

• Advertisement

My little sister is awful with needles, I find it kinda funny. She got her bellybutton pierced when we were on holiday before, ended up kinda keeling over, I wound up having to give her one of my energy drinks to perk her up.

I have no problem with needles at all, strangely I actually love watching it, even as a kid nurse would be look away now, nah im grand stare at in fascination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I want to give blood but my veins are almost impossible to get anything out of after seven years of regular blood tests since I'm on immunosuppressants. Got an appointment with my gastroenterologist later this month though and there's a good chance he'll take me off them so my veins might recover a bit and then I'll go try.

Who decorates hospitals? They always have the worst colour schemes.

I was told before that I have junkie veins. :pac: Usually takes at least 5 or 6 attempts to find a vein, but once it's found, there's never a problem getting the blood out. Finger prick tests fcuking sting, owwww :( I don't mind blood tests at all, but the thought of it freaks me out if that makes sense?

I was terrified of needles when I was a kid. Anytime I knew I had to give a blood sample or get a shot, I always had to have that numbing cream stuff put on. Even with that, I was still terrible with them. They don't bother me a bit now though.

I always wondered if nurses found it more difficult to find veins on tattooed folk.

I was told before that I have junkie veins. :pac: Usually takes at least 5 or 6 attempts to find a vein, but once it's found, there's never a problem getting the blood out. Finger prick tests fcuking sting, owwww :( I don't mind blood tests at all, but the thought of it freaks me out if that makes sense?

Dunno why, but that reminded me of Friends.

"Mr. Geller is an intravenous drug user."
    "Yes, heroin and crack."
    "Crack isn't even an intravenous drug!"
    "Well you would know!"

All done :D Even took a pic that im gonna post when I get home. :pac: They kept asking me where I got my tattoos done. :pac: took ages to find a vein, just as i suspected.

Picture (crappy phone picture):

image_1365103977186197_zps1860902c.jpg

The black is gonna lighten up lots when it heals and will be pumped full of blues to make it all colouredy.

I really put him right in it today :D Not only was it his first cover up, it was also his first time going over scars!

My uncle better be looking down on me with pride. Didn't hurt, but man I felt weak for a while after it. :-/

2i7v491.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

My uncle better be looking down on me with pride. Didn't hurt, but man I felt weak for a while after it. :-/

get plenty of chocolate nd fizzy drinks and other sugary stuff into yu and you'll pick up in no time!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement