Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Oh found it! It's not visible for some reason though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

:pac: It's a private forum, lads. If ye want access, pm me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Ooh, I'm a hmod :D Time to wave the banhammer threateningly at people. :D

Pffft, screw the hammer, this is what I use on the forum I'm an Admin on...

banned-button.gif

Congrats all the same. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

^ Might have to steal that gif PKM :D
    Congrats Eso ;)

Morning all... Stayed up too late last night, tired now.
    Am at my desk with a bucket of tea and a heat pack on my gammy neck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This one is more my style, and it was my avatar for a while too!
    albumpicture.php?albumid=431&pictureid=3099

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Mylina wrote: »
    ^ Might have to steal that gif PKM :D

LOL, work away my dear. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

jenizzle wrote: »
    I cannae see it either!

I has big feet for a girl. I used to be size 10 but I recently discovered my feet shrank a little so I can fit size 9 heels now. I've been buying them ALL! Nearly cried in the shop when I found out, I was so happy :rolleyes:

I think Iron Fist shoes run small though, or they're at least very narrow? I've yet to come across a size 9 in a shop for me to try on anyway, tis annoying. Otherwise I'd own all of them too!

Iron fist shoes are teeny. Im a 7 in them and a 6 in everything else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Iron fist shoes do need a helluva lot of breaking in to get just comfy. First time I wore them it took about 20mins to get on, wore them about the same length and was crippled on a chair for the night from then on :pac:

Just perfect now though :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Iron fist shoes do need a helluva lot of breaking in to get just comfy. First time I wore them it took about 20mins to get on, wore them about the same length and was crippled on a chair for the night from then on :pac:

Just perfect now though :D
    Yeah, when I was breaking in the New Rocks I was kinda the same, but leather's always a pain to break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

If I could go back in time I'd go back to my leaving cert and stop myself ever choosing this degree...and I suppose kill Hitler and all the usual stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What's the degree?

Angron wrote: »
    What's the degree?
    Hotel and Catering Management, it's not a bad degree it's just not what I want to study. You can diversify into a few fields afterwards but I don't particularly want to diversify into any of them. I've realised all this so late though that not if I drop out I'll have wasted three years and since it's four year degree I might as well finish it. I just feel it would all have been avoided if I had taken a year out but the staff at my school pressured us so much to go into third level the idea never even entered my head. I literally do not have a clue how or why I picked this course...

What area would you like to go in? I know for myself, I'm hoping to get into software development, with the ideal target of getting into games dev from there.

Angron wrote: »
    What area would you like to go in? I know for myself, I'm hoping to get into software development, with the ideal target of getting into games dev from there.

I turned down the idea of studying English because although I love English and writing and want to write in some shape or form the only day job, realistically it would get me would be teaching and I thought no way in hell would I do that. Three years on, older and maturer I realise, actually teaching English wouldn't be all that bad as a day job. However the only way now I could do it would be to either do some sort of English postgrad followed by a H.dip or go the undergraduate route all over again. That's too much time for me, I don't want to waste my life studying (no offence to those who pursue pHDs and the like I just prefer working to studying). Also there's no way I could afford any of it anyway, my parents took on loans just to pay for this degree.

I'm still going to try sort out some sort of writing portfolio (and edit my novel) and try get some freelance work maybe although without experience and/or a relevant degree it's hard but the likelihood of being able to support myself with that stuff isn't really viable starting out and there's nothing I could get from this degree I can myself working thing that won't kill me slowly...

Sorry sounds stupid and melodramatic, just annoyed and upset with myself.

Also good look with the leaving and studying and that in the long term. I head software development is difficult. Of course if it's what you want to do long term then it's not as difficult as others might say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

I think something pretty similar happened to me! Again, I wanted to go into journalism and be a writer, but wanting to be practical, I chose computer science. Again, not a bad course with lots of options to diversify, but so far I've not found very much of it to be stimulating. And like you, it's a four-year degree so I may as well finish it.

Freelance work and writing could be a good way to go, but I'd worry about that putting food on the table and whatnot.

I'm also pursuing body piercing though, as I have naive dreams of making it big within the industry and making a difference to the culture and to the world. Very silly stuff :v

Oh I've done the Leaving already, and I'm heading to Galway next year to start the course, so we will see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Don't worry killer your not alone there are plenty of people in jobs they hate, im one of them I love the hours well all the time off but the job itself not so much, I fell into it at 19 done three years training ten years later im still there.

Yehs there other jobs and fields had I had enough sense in secondary school I'd love to do or even back doors in now that I could use to achieve getting qualifications, but my job with shift hours and constant rotating makes doing collage coarses part time impossible and I can't afford to quit and go on the dole either its catch 22, someday hopefully :(.

Look on the bright side you are still young enough and able enough to do something about it :).

Just home from Remis there hurt like a bitch today for some reason, but only one more sitting done and im loving how its looking right now, he reckons another three hours roughly left on it :).

Killer, I went ahead with a degree that I thought would get me where I wanted due to advice from career guidance teachers but it was definitely not for me. I wanted to drop out in the first year, but I got pressurised to stay in it - even the parish priest was on to me, no joke!!

I would have dropped out, taken a year to myself and copped on doing veterinary nursing wasn't so bad. Again I'd been turned off doing it due to advice from other nurses and teachers. We had terrible advice in our school, the guidance teacher was useless!! And the internet was so far from what it is now that it was hard understanding options leaving school. You HAD to go straight into college!

If you carry on now and finish the degree, you'll have to pay full fees in doing another course!! No-one can afford that these days. If it's something you're not going to work in then why not drop out and pursue a course you want?

Simply WOW!!

534954_442288855860669_994343857_n.jpg

521888_435332646559911_152427345_n.jpg

5322_430750703684772_993902782_n.jpg

66615_424826830943826_1118061242_n.jpg

261306_413472622079247_32653129_n.jpg

May have found my next artist after Andy.
    Silvano Fiato from Italy. Make a holiday of it :)

Silvan Fiato is class, I love how distinguishable his style is. Even if he was to have no sig on his work it's instantly recognisable.

• Advertisement

Simply WOW!!

May have found my next artist after Andy.
    Silvano Fiato from Italy. Make a holiday of it :)

His King Kong piece is still one of my favorites ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81651863&postcount=818

I've seen that before alright though never noted the artist ;)

He really does have a distinct style. Nearly every piece is iconic in its own way. An absolute master.

Tattoos should be taught in art at school these days. Make the tired subject alot more interesting and relevant :pac:

I've seen that before alright though never noted the artist ;)

He really does have a distinct style. Nearly every piece is iconic in its own way. An absolute master.

Tattoos should be taught in art at school these days. Make the tired subject alot more interesting and relevant :pac:

Nahh, I'd say vice versa! An awful lot of tattoos aren't very artistically interesting. I'm pretty picky about my art and I rarely see a tattoo that I actually like. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Nahh, I'd say vice versa! An awful lot of tattoos aren't very artistically interesting. I'm pretty picky about my art and I rarely see a tattoo that I actually like. :p

An awful lot aren't, but an awful lot are.

Ok, prepare for a rant:

The thing about tattoos is that people treat the human body like a blank canvas, which it's not. The tattoos above, while fantastic as tattoos, wouldn't hold up if they were on canvas. They've got a cool-ish subject matter but they're just pictures, really. Art has come a long way from who can draw the best, but I don't think tattooing has to the same extent. I mean, can you imagine if Picasso was a tattoo artist?

The other thing, as I mentioned above, is that people tattoo as if a body is a blank canvas. When you have a living, breathing human, it's crazy to treat it like a flat piece of paper when creating a tattoo. Most, if not all, of my favourite tattoos are ones that flow with the human form and celebrate the human body. I guess it stems from my interest in the heavier aspects in body modification, but I've never been a fan of tattoos like the above work.

Having said all that, that's just my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone. :D

Ok, prepare for a rant:

The thing about tattoos is that people treat the human body like a blank canvas, which it's not. The tattoos above, while fantastic as tattoos, wouldn't hold up if they were on canvas. They've got a cool-ish subject matter but they're just pictures, really. Art has come a long way from who can draw the best, but I don't think tattooing has to the same extent. I mean, can you imagine if Picasso was a tattoo artist?

The other thing, as I mentioned above, is that people tattoo as if a body is a blank canvas. When you have a living, breathing human, it's crazy to treat it like a flat piece of paper when creating a tattoo. Most, if not all, of my favourite tattoos are ones that flow with the human form and celebrate the human body. I guess it stems from my interest in the heavier aspects in body modification, but I've never been a fan of tattoos like the above work.

Having said all that, that's just my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone. :D

Well for you the body mightn't be considered a blank canvas but by man tattoo enthusiast's and tattoo artists it is ;). Also art is open to interpretation what you may view as artistic I may consider utter crap that's the beauty of it. For me Silvano Fiatos work is art, not just a "cool-ish" picture not many people have the skills that allow him to be fantastic tattoo artist that he is. Much like some people think Picasso was an amazing artist and also a lot who don't.

Also any artist I have ever had any dealings with of coarse have always took the flow of the human body into account, never would an artist treat the skin like a piece of paper placement is always carefully considered to suit the flow and shape of the body, it's never a case of ah sure well just bang this here, it be grand.

Heavier body modifications and tattoo's also generally go hand in hand with one another not on polar opposites.

Well for you the body mightn't be considered a blank canvas but by man tattoo enthusiast's and tattoo artists it is ;). Also art is open to interpretation what you may view as artistic I may consider utter crap that's the beauty of it. For me Silvano Fiatos work is art, not just a "cool-ish" picture not many people have the skills that allow him to be fantastic tattoo artist that he is. Much like some people think Picasso was an amazing artist and also a lot who don't.

Also any artist I have ever had any dealings with of coarse have always took the flow of the human body into account, never would an artist treat the skin like a piece of paper placement is always carefully considered to suit the flow and shape of the body, it's never a case of ah sure well just bang this here, it be grand.

Heavier body modifications and tattoo's also generally go hand in hand with one another not on polar opposites.

Of course it's open to interpretation, and I used cool-ish to refer to the subject matter. Obviously there's a lot of talent that goes into making a tattoo look that realistic, but I just don't see why it would stop there. While Picasso may have had his share of haters, he's widely accepting as an incredibly innovative artist who helping redefine what art could achieve. That, for me, is a lot more meaningful that a picture. But again, just an opinion.

A tattoo has to take the body into account, but I'm talking pieces that really flow with it and are based around the body part, instead of just accommodating it.

As regards heavy modding and tattooing going together, they do, but not the same style of tattoo that you see every day. I follow a lot of heavily modded people and you can see trends in their tattoos, trends that tend to involve a lot more heavy blackwork, geometric designs and abstraction than just images.

But of course I acknowledge everyone's right to an equal opinion on the subject, and I don't expect many will agree with my view on the matter :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok, prepare for a rant:

The thing about tattoos is that people treat the human body like a blank canvas, which it's not. The tattoos above, while fantastic as tattoos, wouldn't hold up if they were on canvas.

I agree.They are good tattoos but not good "art" if that's what you are into.The top picture to me is better "art" than any of the others.

Art has come a long way from who can draw the best, but I don't think tattooing has to the same extent. I mean, can you imagine if Picasso was a tattoo artist?

One of the reasons why I find
    http://www.osatattoo.at/tattoos/tattoos.html and
    one of my favourite artists.
    The work translates from skin to canvas really well and the style is her own.

I get where you are coming from and I have to say I agree.Its not about being a good tattooist for me but being a good "artist"

Don't get me wrong Id gladly have any of those pieces above on me but they aren't "art"

Whoops, seems I started some discussion.

I in no way meant that the above would be considered art per se, but that tattoos do have a place in the art world - hence why not taught within the subject at school. I mentioned it more as an after thought to my previous statement.

Picasso is mentioned of course, he would be classed alongside Michaelangelo, Botticelli, Raphael, Caravaggio and Leonardo in their contributions towards art and their roles in redefining it. However, in school, whilst I could appreciate their contributions and talent, it bored me as they were existent so long ago.

Modern art was barely touched in relation to tattoos, photography, comic character design, etc. All of which to me are relevant in the broader sense of art. Ask Donatello to create a fast talking, pizza loving, upright walking turtle and he wouldn't have a clue why in the name of God you'd want him to do that :pac:

I appreciate the traditional art methods/mediums in art, but as a young student I would have loved to learn art in the broader sense as opposed to the stricter interpretations regarding the subject ;)

• Advertisement

Whoops, seems I started some discussion.

Discussion is great ;)

Tattoos are of course art, they're just a different kind and all I was saying is that as pieces of art in their own right, a lot of tattoos aren't very ambitious.

As for teaching tattoos in school, they would have to be teaching tattoos that meant something to the world of art. While the above tattoos mightn't be ground-breaking, there are plenty of tattoos that are incredibly unique. Having said that, a lot of piercing and heavier modding could be considered ground-breaking art too, but society-at-large is a bit too squeamish for that at the moment :pac:

Lastly, not everyone found it as boring. I personally loved surrealism, cubism, and most art from 1900 onwards! Tattoos won't be everyone's cup of tea either :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement