Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Perhaps boring was an incorrect word to have used. I did find it interesting, just that it kind of pigeon-holed into traditional art media rather than looking outside the box so to speak. I didn't mean actually teaching the methodology of tattooing - bit dangerous giving kids ideas how to do so in an educational academy - but to showcase that body art is moving forwards too. I mean it's come a long way from tribal associations.

You've just said it there yourself!!
    There are tattoos that are unique - that incorporate the body form and the way in which it moves so that it doesn't look like a block stamp. I'm sure during Leonardo's time there were plenty of highly talented and "ok-ish" painters, but it was himself who took it miles in front of its time. Who's to say that there's not a tattooist that can be admired similarly within the classroom, showcasing what a good tattoo should represent and the fine tuning that went behind ensuring it fit the model completely.

Look at what Banksy has done for graffiti/urban art/political messages, whichever bracket you want to pigeon hole it in. Also a form of art that I think deserves recognition within the field - and it has done as far as I'm concerned.

Art shouldn't be kept to the grand masters of old medium, it's advanced so far now that I think tattoos are slowly coming into respect for being formally considered art.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Art shouldn't be kept to the grand masters of old medium, it's advanced so far now that I think tattoos are slowly coming into respect for being formally considered art.

Tattooing as a medium, yes. I think art is a relatively open-minded subject anyway. We were taught about Banksy in art class in school, so they're definitely not afraid to let less traditional mediums into the classroom. I think the problem is that tattooing just isn't represented enough in the media. Sure, there are plenty of great tattoos, but so many tattoos that are also great art.

For example:

tumblr_mkwjly29gn1s8jcyzo1_500.jpg

Tell me that's not a great example of tattooing that's also great art in its own right!

Showing my age, I wasn't aware Banksy was getting mentioned in schools :pac:

When I was at school the most modern it got was political posters from the world wars and the Troubles in Ireland.

That certainly is a nice piece, love the geometry in it. Must have taken an age to design. Sometimes wish I could crack a persons head open just to see how they fit a design like that together - and then of course glue them back to one piece :pac:

My scarification piece will hopefully be something along those lines, although not quite as geometric, and a bit more nature-influenced.

And likewise on wanting to see inside people's head! Psychology and anthropology are both so fascinating. It's amazing how two people can see the same thing in two completely different manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I think something pretty similar happened to me! Again, I wanted to go into journalism and be a writer, but wanting to be practical, I chose computer science. Again, not a bad course with lots of options to diversify, but so far I've not found very much of it to be stimulating. And like you, it's a four-year degree so I may as well finish it.

Freelance work and writing could be a good way to go, but I'd worry about that putting food on the table and whatnot.

I'm also pursuing body piercing though, as I have naive dreams of making it big within the industry and making a difference to the culture and to the world. Very silly stuff :v
    Piercing is something that interests me as well though my dreams about it aren't as big...which is something which makes me think I might not get an apprensticeship I might not be passionate enough.
    FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Killer, I went ahead with a degree that I thought would get me where I wanted due to advice from career guidance teachers but it was definitely not for me. I wanted to drop out in the first year, but I got pressurised to stay in it - even the parish priest was on to me, no joke!!

I would have dropped out, taken a year to myself and copped on doing veterinary nursing wasn't so bad. Again I'd been turned off doing it due to advice from other nurses and teachers. We had terrible advice in our school, the guidance teacher was useless!! And the internet was so far from what it is now that it was hard understanding options leaving school. You HAD to go straight into college!

If you carry on now and finish the degree, you'll have to pay full fees in doing another course!! No-one can afford that these days. If it's something you're not going to work in then why not drop out and pursue a course you want?

If I'd though about this in first year or maybe even last year I'd drop out but when I've only a year left I feel I might as well get it, especially when it's a level eight so could always get a masters or something. I can't get teaching but if I were to go the freelance route it's a relevant degree for my CV. Also I can't see myself managing to get through another three to four years of a degree, I feel like my life is paused while I'm studying in a sense.

I was a bit overly negative earlier, I was just in a bad mood and put myself in a worse mood thinking about it.

Also Marty hope you get to do something eventually. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I was a bit overly negative earlier, I was just in a bad mood and put myself in a worse mood thinking about it.

1232290698_resized.gif

Finish your degree and write travel reviews. Get to travel and you get to write. Pretty boss.

Being off work is great. I only wish that I didn't have to go back :pac:
    Currently drinking some rum and watching when harry met sally. The high life, I am living it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Watched Falling Down earlier. Watching Money Train now. A couple of classics. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Watched Falling Down earlier. Watching Money Train now. A couple of classics. :D

Quality :), love both of them but Falling Down is a brilliant film, Money Train bit of a guilty pleasure :).

Im browsing Sky on demand here looking for some easy viewing trying to decide between Speed, Back to the Future and Jurrasic Park 3, Antz, Lion King and The Guardian hmmm someone help me decide :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Quality :), love both of them but Falling Down is a brilliant film, Money Train bit of a guilty pleasure :).

Im browsing Sky on demand here looking for some easy viewing trying to decide between Speed, Back to the Future and Jurrasic Park 3, Antz, Lion King and The Guardian hmmm someone help me decide :cool:.

With your username, it has to be BTTF! :D

D-FENS!
    Quality smile.png, love both of them but Falling Down is a brilliant film, Money Train bit of a guilty pleasure smile.png.

Im browsing Sky on demand here looking for some easy viewing trying to decide between Speed, Back to the Future and Jurrasic Park 3, Antz, Lion King and The Guardian hmmm someone help me decide cool.png.

Ah money train is a gem of a film.

I'd go with the guardian because it's the only one I haven't seen.

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    With your username, it has to be BTTF! :D

Ha true but I kinda know Back to the Future like the back of my hand, were as Speed and The Guardian are kinda cheesy goodness. Maybe ill watch two films will help narrow it down :).

Mmmm, Speed or Jurassic Park 3!! :D

Orim wrote: »

I'd go with the guardian because it's the only one I haven't seen.

It's been a while since I seen it, but it does often get described as Top Gun on water. I don't think it hits anywhere that level of cheesy brilliance think I'll have to give it a watch to refresh the memory.

Mmmm, Speed or Jurassic Park 3!! :D

I went with Speed :D, probably go with the Guardian for afters :).

Was the "pop quiz, hotshot" line from Speed or am I thinking of a different film?

Speed 3 was the best of the bunch tbh.

I went with Speed :D, probably go with the Guardian for afters :).

Good choice. Might have to watch it now too!! Hopper is class! "..and it looks like it's gonna be a VERY pretty day!" :D

Was the "pop quiz, hotshot" line from Speed or am I thinking of a different film?

Speed 3 was the best of the bunch tbh.

Sure is from Speed :), here's the exact quote

"Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?"

Dennis Hopper is brilliant in it :).

Speed 3 can't be touched :D

PMSL!! Top class stuff!

"Ted - them women were in the nip!" :pac: :pac:

Fierce tempted to join ye in watching it. Haven't seen it in yonks.

Go on, you know you want to!! :D

• Advertisement

Sure yeh might aswell Speed is the type of film that is perfect for late night viewing, it doesn't exactly require your brain to be functioning.

Aww I'd have gone with the Lion King :) I know that movie word for word :)

So due to stretching up my tongue bar a size, it's became swollen and sore.

As a result, ice-cream is officially "healthy" for me. Yay!

These are the upsides of body mods that never get discussed :pac:

Finally started watching Speed :pac: Made some hot dogs to go with it. I'm a happy camper.

These are the upsides of body mods that never get discussed :pac:

Tongue piercings and ice-cream, the REAL hard-hitting facts about the world of body modification! :cool:

Sure, it's probably the only reason people get their tongue pierced in the first place :pac:

It's amazing how many of his films I love but jesus christ Keanu Reeves is an awful actor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

699b4b4b-0f0b-459e-9975-7d8be4f317cb.JPG

I think he heard you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

whatever about him being a bad actor(he's oscar worthy next to kirsten stewart) he does seem to be one of the film stars firmly grounded on planet earth which is nice to see

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm not a fan of Stewart, but then I'm biased on that front. I absolutely hate the Twilight thing, I read the first book and it was one of the most poorly written pieces of whiny rubbish I've ever read. I struggled to read it, and I think by the end I'd only finished it so know I had, and that I had more valid reasons for disliking it than "A lot of people hate it, so I'll hate it too!".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Good morning all! Mucky day out there :( bring back summer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement