Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    No they have a "person of interest", doesn't mean involvement.

Sources tell me that this isn't particularly a foreign attack and could be closer to home thank America would like to think.

I'm completely wrong in the gas idea. Was in the middle of coursework when the news broke and only skimmed headlines. Catching up now.

Apologies, I skimmed something my friend sent me.

An online friend living in Boston said something similar about it not being foreign. But I suppose, none of us will know anything until it hits the news.

According to a mod I was talking to about an un-related issue, all boardsies in the area have been safely account for.

Fingers crossed the death toll stays as low as it is. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Adiboo wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

Sky news reported a "person of interest" was taken into custody but reminded watchers that when something like this happens, it doesn't necessarily mean the same person was involved. They're being careful not to speculate. Also saying that though JFK library went up, looks like an intense fire blaze rather than an explosion. Might not even be connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

The marathon was dedicated to the Sandy Hook victims and many of their parents were at the finish line. I'm guessing it might be right wing gun nuts.

Jeez it's god awful if it is the group that I heard involved!! Where'd your friend get their sources Lyn?

Good to hear boardsies are safe. Fingers crossed this stops sooner rather than later.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Jeez it's god awful if it is the group that I heard involved!! Where'd your friend get their sources Lyn?

Good to hear boardsies are safe. Fingers crossed this stops sooner rather than later.

My friend heard it from a parent's friend who is involved in some gun group in the area, nothing hardcore though, from what I've heard. My friend has very little information but says that the rumours doing the round amongst his parents and parents' friends would indicate that it's a lot more localized than people are thinking. Again, all speculation, though.

Police have nobody in custody, Sky News just announced.

Jesus, the poor people. :(

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    My friend heard it from a parent's friend who is involved in some gun group in the area, nothing hardcore though, from what I've heard. My friend has very little information but says that the rumours doing the round amongst his parents and parents' friends would indicate that it's a lot more localized than people are thinking. Again, all speculation, though.

Police have nobody in custody, Sky News just announced.

Jesus, the poor people. :(

Just to add - saw Adi's (I think) post about right wing gun nuts. I'm not saying that my friend suggested that a gun group was involved, just that he got his information from a parent's friend who heard it from people in their group!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

There was a few boardsies at this race, thankfully I think all if not almost all of them have made contact.

A mod has told me that all boardsies are accounted for, and weren't long in letting everyone back home know they're okay.

However, one Irish woman (non-boardsie) is unaccounted for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

This may get me in trouble, but why is there not this much of a fuss kicked up when a bomb goes off anywhere else in the world? It's absolutely tragic and a horrible waste of life, but it happens somewhere every day of the week and most people don't bat an eye!

This may get me in trouble, but why is there not this much of a fuss kicked up when a bomb goes off anywhere else in the world? It's absolutely tragic and a horrible waste of life, but it happens somewhere every day of the week and most people don't bat an eye!

To be perfectly blunt, because in some countries (Iraq, Afghanistan, et al) it's expected, to be frank.

It's not a regular thing in the States, Ireland, the UK (well, discounting pipe bombs and the like), so it's a huge deal when it happens in countries where it's really not expected. Like when the North Strand was blown up during the war, there was mayhem because it wasn't expected.

• Advertisement

To be perfectly blunt, because in some countries (Iraq, Afghanistan, et al) it's expected, to be frank.

It's not a regular thing in the States, Ireland, the UK (well, discounting pipe bombs and the like), so it's a huge deal when it happens in countries where it's really not expected. Like when the North Strand was blown up during the war, there was mayhem because it wasn't expected.

It's really quite sad that we have that sort of view tbh. It shouldn't be expected of anywhere

Furthermore, Boston is considered a first world city in America, isn't fighting with any other country and has no-one on their borders bickering unlike other countries going through civil wars or election doctrine seen in Africa, Palestine, Iraq, Israel, etc. All of which did get media coverage at the beginning - old news now.

It's highly unusual for something like this to occur in Boston, hence the media interest. Especially since America aren't officially at war with anybody at this point in time. It's causing confusion.

It's really quite sad that we have that sort of view tbh. It shouldn't be expected of anywhere

It shouldn't be, but when it's a regular enough happening, it's bound to become something somewhat expected.

Reports are in that one of the deceased is an 8 year old child. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I don't get it either, stuff like this is like a photo to me, if nobody is having sex or I'm not in it I just don't care

Arawn wrote: »
    I don't get it either, stuff like this is like a photo to me, if nobody is having sex or I'm not in it I just don't care

I guess some people have more empathy than others? I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sad to see and hear the reports of Boston, it is crazy how much more reports incidents of this nature get much more media coverage then the famines, manacles and atrocities that happen worldwide on a daily basis, but at the end of the day us in the western hemisphere feel to a certain extent disconnected from all that like it's a separate world, were as something like this hits home harder as if it happened on our own doorstep which tends to shock, scare and appall people more and peak there interest and in that turn the media is just giving the general public the information they crave.

I do think thinking of thing brings out the idiots in some people saw one girl on Facebook post about the lack of humanity, the people responsible were scum and beneath the post she had a pic of a victim getting pushed away in a wheelchair with the remnants of his legs on show, then had another person text me asking what the Illuminati was as someone told them they were responsible.

People are wheeling that bandwagon about over this - what about the conflict in Iraq, what about the children starving, what about the African dictators, etc.

The cold hard fact of the matter is, those stories have already been told in the media. Nothing has changed in those regions. There is still conflict, famine, etc. going on as last reported, as heartless as I may sound in saying this, but it's "old news" - therefore not news worthy.

People are already over North Korea's little tantrum flair, and that lasted what, a week? Sad fact is that this is a new story, I don't think the Western ideology comes into it really. It's just a new horrific event to report.

Regarding facebook statuses, don't get me started!!! Every country in the middle/far east was being thrown about but no-one considered it was quite possible it could be a domestic attack :rolleyes:. Sheer ignorance and people bleating like sheep running after the latest rumour :mad:

I wouldn't call it a bandwagon that demeans the logic behind it ;) Yeh stories about Korea get reported mainly because of the threats on America and the fear of a world war. Not all stories are deemed news worthy and have already been reported therefore are old news. It's just the general public don't feel connected or threatened and have the attitude of Ah sure there always at it.

No one cared about afghanistan really till America got involved then all we heard was about the civil rights in the coubtry, women being stoned to death etc but all that had been going on for years. Daily there incredible amounts of violence in this world that no one reports. Nigeria, Mexico shocking everyday.sure just look at the three I.r.a men in Columbia a few years ago made news here or the Irishman gunned down in south america accessed of plotting assination we heard nothing really but snippets about those situations until an Irishman was involved as nd you can be sure neither were deemed newsworthy internationally.

I don't blame the media there just giving the general public what they want, but to discount the others as old news is wrong just as it to say the fact it's in America or the western hemisphere has nothing to do with media attention.

Apologies, bandwagon was a terrible choice of word. It's been a long day and I may not be constructing my discussion very well :)

I put the term old news in "'s because personally I don't see it as that, just the media would do from a ratings/profit point of view.

Of course anything an Irishman gets involved/portrayed in would make local media, it's news-worthy to the country in question and involves interest in stories further than our usual "criminal government" write ups we see daily.

But there's only so much time and resources available to any headline or broadcast. It's literally impossible to report all engaging stories around the world. The fact this hit an unusually quiet city with an international marathon brought in most of the world. Unfortunately a bomb going off in Iraq of tensions in Lebanon are in the back of peoples minds that that occurs most weeks anyway. This doesn't happen ever in Boston.....until now.

Hmmm, perhaps attention was brought to Korea regarding America, from my perspective it had people's attention in whether one of the last communist lineages would finally fall and the true story inside NK would finally be told. America never had anything to lose and NK aren't really a threat if anybody bothers to read up on news reports outside of tabloids.

The general public want local news reported with snippets of major worldwide events.

I feel I'm beginning to ramble now :o, I have the second Matrix movie lined up to watch and all, never gonna sleep with that wind anywho :rolleyes:

Ah I think most people know the deal about north Korea hence all the menes, but you do get the impression certain sections of the media are trying to bill it as more with China on one side and America on the other and the threat of nuclear war.

Wind outside my job is to noisy can't even hear it.

Enjoy the matrix though :)

• Advertisement

Ah the NK business is sensationalist journalism at its best as far as I'm concerned :rolleyes: China won't help out in this scenario unfortunately for lil Kim :)

Laters, I am gonna jump into the Matrix. Followed enough of this story for one night.

I found myself getting slightly bogged down by the state of current affairs, then the new Ikea ad came on and I nearly had to pick myself up off the floor. A bit of silliness is just what I need. Ikeas advertising team deserve an award.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't think I've seen it. Then again, I don't watch much tv any more.

:pac: that's a cool ad.

Only awake have the poxy jet lag feeling today and Im going to miss one of Arsenal most important games of the season so far sucks :(.

Now if anyone is feeling generous and want s to come along and make me 4 eggs scrambled/boiled or omelette I'd be much obliged save me having to roll out of bed for awhile.

Watch it on your phone in work? :) I won't bother ya while you do. :p

What a gorgeous day. And only a 4 hour shift in work today. Can't at to go home, have a loooong bath, watch the following and go to bed. :D I'm so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That's the joys of working nights
    I get to enjoy the sunshine when it's here and then go work at 8 :)
    Yet still to lazy to go outside
    Might bring pup for a walk

Watch it on your phone in work? :) I won't bother ya while you do. :p

What a gorgeous day. And only a 4 hour shift in work today. Can't at to go home, have a loooong bath, watch the following and go to bed. :D I'm so boring.

Ah it's just not the same on the phone, this is the kinda game were I know if I was at home I'd be on the edge of my seat with a beer in my hand ;).

Hopefully the weather keeps up from tomorrow so I can enjoy some of it :).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Who's the Arsenal game against?

• Advertisement

Ah it's just
    not the same on the phone, this is the kinda game were I know if I was
    at home I'd be on the edge of my seat with a beer in my hand ;).

Hopefully the weather keeps up from tomorrow so I can enjoy some of it
    :).

Sure just pull a sickie :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement