Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Not that exciting--We service their cars but the lad that I deal with brought me around the kennels and showed me the dogs the last time I was there.

Am a little jealous I will admit. Those dogs are superb in their jobs!!

Always thought the dogs went home with the Garda though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Yes and no I guess. It doesn't really take long to visually judge a dogs conformation. The photo I seen of it released, the dog was nearly walking on its hocks :(. Incredible decline in the spine.

I think that showing needs to gave a requirement in field trials - that the dog is still physically fit to do the purpose it was bred to do. I think the AKC do this, but you can correct me if I'm wrong.

The Malinois is a beauty of a dog. Absolute athlete!!

i dont know about the AKC but the WUSV in Germany does it! Any adult dog to be shown has to have a schutzhund title! schutzhund is basically a police trial! the dogs have to pass an obedience/ agility trial where have to scale a 6 foot wall and climb over a V ramp carrying a dumbell! along with some other stuff! then a trackin phase where some one will walk a track and drop flags and the dog has to come 30 minutes later and follow the track and sit/lay at each flag in order and then a protection trial aswell!! really tests the dogs in all attributes!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Always thought the dogs went home with the Garda though.

They do--Each dog lives with its handler but the actual day to day working dogs travel to the kennels each day with their handler if they are on duty.

Have seen videos on Schutzund training, looks like so much fun for both dog and owner. It's a dream to do some training in that myself. Are there classes in Limerick? I think there is one round here, nearly sure I remember someone with Ridgebacks saying they did it.

Have seen videos on Schutzund training, looks like so much fun for both dog and owner. It's a dream to do some training in that myself. Are there classes in Limerick? I think there is one rond here, nearly sure I remember someone with Ridgebacks saying they did it.

yeh its great fun and the dogs love it too!!! there's no where in limerick but there is a club in nenagh and ennis both only half hr from me so i try get out there as many sat morning as ai can!! i love it! could do it all day!! often do haha

this is me nd milly (puppies mama) doing some agilty - 6 foot long jump here :D
    250073.jpg

A group shot on the day! milly in the back to the right of the retriever
    250074.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

gregers85 wrote: »

250074.jpg

Them's some well behaved dogs!!

this is me nd milly (puppies mama) doing some agilty - 6 foot long jump here :D
    250073.jpg

250074.jpg

That is brilliant to see so many breeds together like that......and many of them on the restricted list :)

I'd need to negotiate with mine to stay there long enough for a photo :)

Is it the same person running those classes?

That is brilliant to see so many breeds together like that......and many of them on the restricted list :)

I'd need to negotiate with mine to stay there long enough for a photo :)

Is it the same person running those classes?

yeh thats i think theres 6 breeds there in that pic on the restricted list!!
    Milly is great she is so smart!! too smart some times haha Elvis on the other hand is still a pup he's a 15 month 38kg pup but still a pup haha he'll sit and heel but nothing advanced yet!

Yeh its the same lad that does it! runs classes every saturday mornin, starts off with group obedience, then a bit of agility for who ever wants to, we have a tea break nd most head off home then the rest do some tracking and protection stuff with the shepherds

Just goes to show that the restricted breeds list is ridiculously put together!! Need to look at the other end of the lead!!

Can you PM details of who does them? Would love to look into their training practises.

Say the dogs are shattered after it, plenty of mental stimulation in schutzhund too :)

My Akita was nearly 2yrs before she left puppyhood, but have to say she was never "badly behaved". Just a little hyperactive and very much breed standard with her attention span :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Say hello to my (ever so slightly gay dog) Buddy

3F5FB1F04D19467B916C0A539E315D42-0000343138-0003223080-00720L-0CC243B5AC6D437EA5CE5BAA1CF600B7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Since we're sharing, this is my (currently very sick :(:( ) dog, Lola. She's my baby. :o :pac:

13ykl76.jpg

love JRTs!! great dogs!! :D hope she gets better soon!!! :(

love JRTs!! great dogs!! :D hope she gets better soon!!! :(

So do I. Poor little thing was in the vet tonight and cried so much when he took blood from her that I started welling up hearing it! Back to the vet tomorrow to confirm what he thinks is wrong (either pancreatits or something wrong with her liver), and then hopefully she'll be treated and start to feel better.

She was given a pain relief injection, but I'm sleeping on the sofa (her bed is in the sitting room) in case she wakes up in pain, so I can pet her and make her feel better.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    So do I. Poor little thing was in the vet tonight and cried so much when he took blood from her that I started welling up hearing it! Back to the vet tomorrow to confirm what he thinks is wrong (either pancreatits or something wrong with her liver), and then hopefully she'll be treated and start to feel better.

She was given a pain relief injection, but I'm sleeping on the sofa (her bed is in the sitting room) in case she wakes up in pain, so I can pet her and make her feel better.

fair play to yu!!! nothing worse the when there sick looking at yu with them sad eyes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

"As a guitarist, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper’s cemetery in the back country. As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I’ve never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played ‘Amazing Grace,’ the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my guitar and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, “I never seen nothin’ like that before and I’ve been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.”

Apparently, I’m still lost…"

fair play to yu!!! nothing worse the when there sick looking at yu with them sad eyes!!

I know! As soon as the vet saw her, first thing he said was 'Ohhh, why are you so sad?' Jesus, I'm getting upset just remembering it. :(

Hopefully she'll be fine once we find out what's wrong and get her treated. :)

She's now decided she wants to sleep with me instead of in her bed, so took her blanket in her mouth, jumped on the end of the sofa and has fallen asleep, after using the end of my blanket as a mattress. I'd usually pick her up and make her go to bed, but I can't say no to her tonight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Another half hour of work and then home
    Fcukin starving
    Hope I get some sort of sleep before I go airport
    Looking forward to seein me Missus and my little girl
    They've been away in Philippines for the gf brother weddin past week
    Miss the little one randomly saying ridiculous but funny things and of course the Missus making me a lovely dinner
    Been surviving on half cooked chicken wings and pizza all week :)

Another half hour of work and then home
    Fcukin starving
    Hope I get some sort of sleep before I go airport
    Looking forward to seein me Missus and my little girl
    They've been away in Philippines for the gf brother weddin past week
    Miss the little one randomly saying ridiculous but funny things and of course the Missus making me a lovely dinner
    Been surviving on half cooked chicken wings and pizza all week :)

Awh, it's cute to see someone missing their family like that. :)

At least you'll get nice dinners again soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Awh, it's cute to see someone missing their family like that. :)

At least you'll get nice dinners again soon! :D

If I had the money if have 10 kids As long as they are all like my little I have now
    I'd be pissing myself laughing everyday
    She's gas little thing
    And while they were away I found a tattoo that I'm getting done for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Love German Shepherds, they're my favourite. Used to work in a pet shop in Limerick and there was a long haired one that used to come in regularly, he was huuuge, but oh so cuddly :p
    I've a rescue dog at home, she's a German Shepherd cross, medium sized dog with shepherd markings but terrier-like ears. Can't attach a photo from my phone for some reason :/

Esoteric hope your dog will be okay! Keep us updated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Cheers Marty, I'd really appreciate that. It's hard getting any definitive answers off them through email. Can't afford to go back and do another degree so always on the lookout for any courses that might spice mine up a bit ;)

So I mailed here asking for some info, she said it's really hard to get in there competition is fierce, she said they had 300 applicants for a recent job and on top of that they have 9 internal trainee keepers, she said get as much hands on experience as possible work with animals in the wild, animals in shelters, volunteer in the zoo to get your face known, there loads of on line coarse check out Compass education that do correspondence courses on animal behaviour birds, wolves etc. She also said its really tough to get in there jobs only come up every couple of years and they will have to drag her out kicking and screaming when they want her to retire ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

So either I was due more money from the Erasmus grant (which is possible since the amount I got when I came back was less than I expected) or theres a couple hundred euro in my account that's not mine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

So either I was due more money from the Erasmus grant (which is possible since the amount I got when I came back was less than I expected) or there a couple hundred euro in my account that's not mine...

Oh well! :)

My dog seems to be in less pain today. When I woke up, she jumped on top of my chest and started smacking me in the face with her paw til I petted her. Will be getting a call from the vet this evening to find out what's wrong and get her in for treatment. At least she seems better today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

My dog seems to be in less pain today. When I woke up, she jumped on top of my chest and started smacking me in the face with her paw til I petted her. Will be getting a call from the vet this evening to find out what's wrong and get her in for treatment. At least she seems better today. :)

So she's not that needy? Glad to hear she's feeling better, hopefully she'll all better.
    So either I was due more money from the Erasmus grant (which is possible since the amount I got when I came back was less than I expected) or theres a couple hundred euro in my account that's not mine...

I need to stop hanging around here. My first thought to this was that I could get a new tat if it happened to me.

Orim wrote: »
    I need to stop hanging around here. My first thought to this was that I could get a new tat if it happened to me.

Well if this doesn't disappear (and apparently it's been in my account for a fair while now) then it's most liking going towards Roller Derby gear and a new tattoo. Looking at some stuff on the statement I'm pretty sure it's from the Erasmus grant. Emailed the woman who deals with to double check though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Well if this doesn't disappear and apparently it's been in my account for a fair while now) then it's most liking going towards Roller Derby gear and a new tattoo. Looking at some stuff on the statement I'm pretty sure it's from the Erasmus grant. Emailed the woman who deals with to double check though.

That's some sound fianacial planning right there :P
    Speaking of roller derby there's currently a forum request open if you want to throw your support in
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056928402

So I mailed here asking for some info, she said it's really hard to get in there competition is fierce, she said they had 300 applicants for a recent job and on top of that they have 9 internal trainee keepers, she said get as much hands on experience as possible work with animals in the wild, animals in shelters, volunteer in the zoo to get your face known, there loads of on line coarse check out Compass education that do correspondence courses on animal behaviour birds, wolves etc. She also said its really tough to get in there jobs only come up every couple of years and they will have to drag her out kicking and screaming when they want her to retire ha.

You're a star ;)
    Jeez, 300, no wonder I didn't get to interview stage :eek:! Didn't realise there was 9 trainee in there either!!

Ugh, will have to win the lottery and bribe my way in :pac:

Cheers Marty, have a better idea what's going on in there anywho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

So I have a big project due this evening and the software that I need is only available via virtual desktop. Today would be the day that the site crashes and won't let anyone log on. College problems :/

• Advertisement

Money is indeed the last of my Erasmus grant. Derby gear and tattoos for everyone (and by everyone I mean me).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement