Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.T.B 2.1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ah yes, the cockneys. People known for not making the slightest bit of sense when creating slang.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Angron wrote: »
    Ah yes, the cockneys. People known for not making the slightest bit of sense when creating slang.

Would you Adam and Eve it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Someone put up a picture of Tom Hardy on Facebook. Ugh, he's so attractive its actually unfair. If you insist on being that hot you should just let everyone have sex with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

P_1 wrote: »
    Would you Adam and Eve it? :pac:

I couldn't when I saw a lad wearing a syrup of figs in his jam jar. Had to go in for a butchers.
    P_1 wrote: »
    Jeff Hanneman is dead, I knew he was ill for a while but I didn't think it was that bad

Yeah it was really serious. Flesh eating virus or something like that but I thought he was on the mend. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Orim wrote: »
    I couldn't when I saw a lad wearing a syrup of figs in his jam jar. Had to go in for a butchers.

In fairness a lad wearing a wig in his car would warrant closer inspection alright :pac:
    Yeah it was really serious. Flesh eating virus or something like that but I thought he was on the mend. :(

Seems it was liver failure, probably related to the flesh eating virus though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm not sure if it's a Dublin thing or not to be honest.

It is a Dublin thing, along with Allied Irish (****), Jo Maxi (taxi) Hank Marvin, or either of the words on their own (starving), May West (best, as in 'i'm not feeling the may west), and loads more. I probably know three or four hundred slang phrases that are originally from Dublin. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Someone put up a picture of Tom Hardy on Facebook. Ugh, he's so attractive its actually unfair. If you insist on being that hot you should just let everyone have sex with you.

Was told I look like him **cough****

But reserved for one lady only :)

Was told I look like him **cough****

But reserved for one lady only :)

Unless you ARE him it's just not enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Il get my coat so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    It is a Dublin thing, along with Allied Irish (****), Jo Maxi (taxi) Hank Marvin, or either of the words on their own (starving), May West (best, as in 'i'm not feeling the may west), and loads more. I probably know three or four hundred slang phrases that are originally from Dublin. :pac:

You also now have starvin marvin thanks to South Park :).
    Unless you ARE him it's just not enough!

What if someone was to wear this?

https://www.cheap-flyer-printer.com/shop/products.php?product=Tom-Hardy-Movie-Star-Face-Masks

• Advertisement

You also now have starvin marvin thanks to South Park :).

What if someone was to wear this?

https://www.cheap-flyer-printer.com/shop/products.php?product=Tom-Hardy-Movie-Star-Face-Masks

It would certainly help things along

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm pretty sure P_1 called it right, tin of fruit would be Cockney rhyming slang. The others you've listed are definitely Dublin based ones though! I've found a lot of them starting to spread out across the country now though, particularly Marvin and Mae West.

Hmm, tin of fruit has been around as long as I have in Dublin, so it could well be cockney slang without me realising. :pac:

Yeah, I've noticed that the slang that's primarily from Dublin is starting to spread.

If you ever read a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book, it's filled with tonnes of Dublin rhyming slang. I remember the first time I read one, I didn't understand several phrases and had to get my dad to translate for me. :pac:

Yeah, the Cockneys themselves don't even stick to one thing for many of their slangs!

Suit could be: Bag of fruit / Bowl of fruit / Tin of fruit / Piccolo and flute / Whistle and flute

A lot of the Dublin based ones are either derived from Cockney slang, or would tend to have some Irish reference in them.

From the little I've heard about those Ross O'Carroll Kelly books, I don't think I could bring myself to read them. :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Makes me glad I don't like in Dublin/wherever the cockney area of England is. I wanna say Liverpool.

Hah! :D It refers to a part of London!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney

Ah, Liverpool is Scouse or Scousers, that's what I was thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yeah, the Cockneys themselves don't even stick to one thing for many of their slangs!

Suit could be: Bag of fruit / Bowl of fruit / Tin of fruit / Piccolo and flute / Whistle and flute

A lot of the Dublin based ones are either derived from Cockney slang, or would tend to have some Irish reference in them.

From the little I've heard about those Ross O'Carroll Kelly books, I don't think I could bring myself to read them. :/

I tried my best, but couldn't even bring myself to finish one of them.

January wrote: »
    I tried my best, but couldn't even bring myself to finish one of them.

They're honestly fantastic if you get into them. :)

Ugh, I have some horrendous hours next week. I'm on my own for nine hour shifts 5 days in a row and only have one day off :( My own fault for booking tomorrow and Sunday off, knew I'd be punished. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Morning all!! 2 weeks of my 4 week training regime down and im feeling good! had my mid-way body composition test this morning and im down 18 pounds woohoo haha

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, that's bloody fantastic!

I'm pretty sure P_1 called it right, tin of fruit would be Cockney rhyming slang. The others you've listed are definitely Dublin based ones though! I've found a lot of them starting to spread out across the country now though, particularly Marvin and Mae West.

I've always found this to be the case that Dublin slang tends to spread around the country well some of it, always thought it was due to the amount of people from the country living and working in Dublin picking it up then spreading it back home could be wrong though.
    gregers85 wrote: »
    Morning all!! 2 weeks of my 4 week training regime down and im feeling good! had my mid-way body composition test this morning and im down 18 pounds woohoo haha

Fair play Gregers.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

on another note,the london tattoo convention line up is amazing and i just so happen to be off work that week

on another note,the london tattoo convention line up is amazing and i just so happen to be off work that week

You heading over for it? Or do you live in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Jesus Christ, that's bloody fantastic!
    Fair play Gregers.

Thanks Lads!!

Its a great show! always has top artists! i was booked in Brent McCown last yr for a hammer tap piece but i couldn make it in the end i was gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

hopefully gonna head over to it.its my wedding anniversary that weekend so i'll plan a trip with the better half

Both of my parents are absolutely hanging. It's funny cos it's not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Heading in to town to see Enter Shikari now. Nothing like a metal/electro moshpit to calm the nerves before college exams :D

Freedom :D Two days off, fcuk yeah :D

• Advertisement

Both of my parents are absolutely hanging. It's funny cos it's not me.

Im betting it wont take them to long to get payback and laugh at you ;).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement