Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Hob burns too high

• 21-08-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all

I moved into a place with a standard 5 hob burner which uses an external gas jar. I have one problem though - the flames on minimum seem to be way too high, so much so, that everything boils over on the lowest flame - even on the smallest burner.

Any ideas on how to fix this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

External gas jar? Is that a gas bottle?

Check the appliance for a silver badge, you should see G-20 or G-37. What does it say?

It is possible that it is a natural gas appliance fitted to an LPG installation. It may need to be converted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

It's also possible that it was partially converted (injectors) but the simmer setting wern't done, you'll need your RGI to check that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

the gas hob is more than likely set up for natural gas and you are burning lpg ,stop using it immediatly as this can be extremly dangerous .
    get someone in to convert to lpg and certify it .
    you might notice pots going black on the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭heybert

Thanks for the swift replies.

Yes, I mean a gas bottle bought from Atlantic Homecare - I simply replaced the previous one. Attached is a pic of the hob itself and underneath is a zanussi oven. I think it is meant to be connected to the natural gas line as it does not work without using the red switch on the side. Please correct me if I am wrong.

NC1mQ.jpg

@Micky Dolenz: Yes the pots tend to blacken on the bottom.

Any cheap and safe way to fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

heybert wrote: »
    Thanks for the swift replies.

Yes, I mean a gas bottle bought from Atlantic Homecare - I simply replaced the previous one. Attached is a pic of the hob itself and underneath is a zanussi oven. I think it is meant to be connected to the natural gas line as it does not work without using the red switch on the side. Please correct me if I am wrong.

NC1mQ.jpg

@Micky Dolenz: Yes the pots tend to blacken on the bottom.

Any cheap and safe way to fix this?

Sounds like not converted, you need a RGI, if you had one at the start you wouldn't be needing one now. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

that blackening of the pots is extremely dangerous - don't use it till you get it converted ,as the lads said an rgi with cooker experience -

knighted_1 wrote: »
    that blackening of the pots is extremely dangerous - don't use it till you get it converted ,as the lads said an rgi with cooker experience -

Can I ask what the danger is? Is it carbon monoxide related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

The soot on your pots is carbon monoxide

It won't cost much to convert it. That switch beside it is for the electric oven And sparker for hob.

Ring around and get a few prices for the change over.

Thanks for this. I'm trying to find the model number online in order to get the conversion kit but to no avail. Its a Belling Hob.

• Advertisement

That info is on it's silver data badge which is on it's underside. The oven will have to be pulled out to access it. Not advisable to do unless you are confident.

Best bet is to ring their customer service and see if they can help.

Thanks lads.

The landlord is on to it. Hopefully it will be back in business soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

I'm a rgi. This is a lethal situation. Forget about seeking online advice. Get a registerd gas installer involved. Disconnect the gas bottle and remove it from the house. This could kill if left as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Advertisement