Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kites imperial

Options
  • 21-08-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all.Does anyone know where to buy heron herl or what would be a suitable sub to tie a kites imperial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

I got Heron at the Galway flytying fair last year ,it is on again but not until November.If you live near or fish the Dodder,I have also got heron along the dodder banks (where a bird has lost the odd feather) another place is bushy park down by the forest section where the ponds are there is a heronry ( they roost in the trees there) you may like I have,pick up the odd usable feather,(they are wide soft grey feathers) on the ground there.Herons are a protected bird now . unlike Kite's day where they shot their materials to order. One word of warning ,If you do find any feathers on the ground DO NOT PUT THEM WITH YOUR OTHER MATERIALS. they will contain mites etc that will eat through your materials ,shop bought materials have been treated to remove these. Also were you looking for Black cobblers wax? a la ''Greenwells'' I seem to remember a Query about it on a thread .Well I got it in a cobblers shop, a huge block of it. the reason it is used is that the black wax rubbed onto primrose/yellow tying silk gives it an olive-yellow hue if done lightly, right up to an almost ''bottle'' green if Heavily applied. aim for a olive-yellow for a Greenwells glory. hope to have been of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Thanks for the reply.I don,t live far from Bushy so I'll have a wander down there the weekend.I managed to get some cobblers wax online so all is good.Thanks again for your help.

Advertisement