Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the town of Trim like?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Moving from home to meath and we are thinking about Trim but I know nothing about it!

What are the good parts/bad parts etc and in general what is it like and is it a commutable town for Dublin?

Thanks all!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

Hi Paddy,

we moved to Trim in Sept 2008 and have to say that we are very happy there. Both myself and my wife are primarily based in Dublin (South City Centre) so commute each day.

Lovely town, nice walks, pubs, very picturesque (around castle/river especially in certain light) and a nice feel in general. Seems to be a great community spirit and there are regular events (e.g. Daft Raft Race on St Patricks Day, Hay Making Festival, Balloon Festival, and many more). In general, you still have a small/local feel, while still relatively close to larger shops in Blanch/Navan and commutable to Dublin.

There are some eateries, although nothing exceptional (IMO) - but it does have a few nice bars (e.g. Marcies, Linehans).

There seems to be a good club system (e.g. GAA, soccer, golf).

I personally don't have too much in terms of low points - maybe the lack of a large Tesco/Dunnes - although the recent extension in Super Value is getting it up there.

Hope that little bit helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

It's a kip.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Pazza sums it up well. Moved to Trim myself around 18 months ago from Dublin. Looked at a lot of different options in Meath and Trim was the best by far for myself and my family.

N3/M50 junction improvements have greatly reduced the commute time into Dublin by car. You can also drive to M3 Parkway and get the train to Dublin. I haven't used the bus into town so I've no idea how reliable it is.

Trim imo is the perfect size town, not too big and busy, but big enough to have plenty going on. Dublin Road would probably be a good place to locate purely in terms of being on the right side of town for commuting. Plenty of choices of houses depending on what you're looking for from small to big, estates to rural houses. The estates are in general very well kept, and there's a definite sense of pride in the town and environment which you can see with the good work of the Tidy Towns folk.

There's a newish GAA hall which is a fantastic facility and has all sorts going on as well as football and hurling - there's badminton, bowls and other things going on weekly. There's also a fairly new Aura centre with pool, gym and all-weather pitches. There's the tennis club and the athletics club, probably loads of other stuff I've not mentioned.

It was a big move for us at the time, but we're definitely glad we moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Pazza, can I ask how you find the commute to the south city everyday? Does it take long? Can it get annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

It's a kip.

I kindly ask the OP to ignore this intellectual's tuppence :rolleyes:

As far as commuting is concerned, the south city centre is probably best accessed via the M4 corridor, which cuts out the Phoenix Park and the West Link toll. Many people opt for the M3 simply because Trim's "Dublin Road" leads to it, and because the Trim-Dublin bus route follows this route. Forget about it. Go towards the M4 - Trim to Kilcock takes 20 minutes, where you can join the M4, and from there to the M50/Liffey Valley is about 12 minutes (9 minutes to Lucan), so it's a no-brainer really. 45 minutes to Hueston on a bad day. I've had days where Trim to Blanchardstown SC can take that long, so it really is the quickest and cheapest way into the city centre. The path of least resistance is usually the one that leads to a motorway soonest.

As previously mentioned, plenty to do in the town - GAA club, 3 soccer clubs, fully equipped gym, pool and astroturfs, athletic club, bowls, tennis, badminton. For the holy people, within a few miles you'll find 3x18 hole golf courses (Co. Meath, Knightsbrook and Glebe) 1x9 hole golf course (South Meath) and a Pitch and Putt club in the town centre... American Football available these days if you're so inclined... Even if you don't want to commit to a club, the Porchfields provides scenic trails for runners and walkers alike.

The social scene is pretty lively too. Trim has a good selection of local acts on each week, and some decent venues, Brogans in particular has a number of regular acts rotating between weekends. Other pubs offer traditional sessions and DJ sessions, it's just a matter of shopping around. Something there for all ages really.

But I've been living here for 23 years, maybe 2cool4school knows better, maybe it is a kip :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

draffodx wrote: »
    Pazza, can I ask how you find the commute to the south city everyday? Does it take long? Can it get annoying?

We have to travel to close to Stephens Green - and usually drive. We have sometime driven to Coolmine (train from M3 Parkway goes to Docklands) which takes about 30 minutes then train/walk - but travel time totals about 75 minutes, hence the option to drive. We go by the M3 - and travel time to Stephens Green at the moment (leaving at 7:00) is 50 minutes. In winter add another 10 minutes to that. Some days traffic can be bad (yesterday evening leaving the city at 17:20) - and it took nearly 70 minutes to get home. To be honest, getting out of the city the first few miles is the worst - as the road (M3/N3/R154) is generally moving fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

upmeath wrote: »
    2cool4school knows better, maybe it is a kip

i agree with this point

ive been there a few times and its a right dump

i think an outsiders perspective could be useful to the op

my opinion is unbiased like :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Moving from home to meath and we are thinking about Trim but I know nothing about it!

What are the good parts/bad parts etc and in general what is it like and is it a commutable town for Dublin?

Thanks all!!

My 10 cent - dont buy -rent first. That way you will get to know all about it before fully commiting

• Registered Users Posts: 34 robrieguez

i agree with this point

ive been there a few times and its a right dump

i think an outsiders perspective could be useful to the op

my opinion is unbiased like :cool:

You've "been there a few times" ? I don't think that qualifies you to answer the question about what it is like to live there. I moved from Dublin to Trim just over a year ago and I can say that it is a lovely little town. Nice walks, nice pubs, nice restaurants (well one, Francini's) plenty of golf courses (if thats your thing) and a nice friendly atmosphere in general. I don't have to worry about a commute as I am a rep and have no set place to be every morning. My girlfriend commutes to Blanchardstown and is only 25 minutes away.

You might want to rent first as another person mentioned as it is much quieter than Dublin and takes a little getting used to

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Trim is BY FAR the nicest town in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

falabo wrote: »
    Trim is BY FAR the nicest town in Meath.

I agree with this point, I bought in Navan and regret it, Trim is a great town, loads of heritage and culture, always something going on and the guys that run the Tidy towns absolutely love the place. The canoe club, the fishermen look after and clean out the river too, always something to do.

A steak sandwich in Brogans - 2 words, DO IT

It's a good idea to rent though but I would bet that you'll be staying in Trim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Trim is a lovely town. Very Quaint and tranquile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

ronan45 wrote: »
    Trim is a lovely town. Very Quaint and tranquile

Can't argue with that! The people in Trim (including shops) are always very nice and helpful...compared with Navan! I know Navan is a much bigger and busier town, but I'm always amazed by the difference between the two, and especially as they're only 12km apart. I would always say I'm from Trim (even though my postal address is Navan)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Moved to trim 3-4 yrs ago love it been renting but hoping to buy next year :-)..

Advertisement