Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a surf school!!

Options
  • 21-08-2011 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hey all!
    I have recently been thinking of adding something new to my existing business.
    I own an entertainment company, which started off as just inflatable hire, then i started with the dj hire, bands, specilaist entertainers ie. firebreathers, breakdancers, all that kind of stuff. i am constantly looking for different ideas to keep the business fresh, hence the thread. Not too sure what direction yet id go with this surfing craic, maybe you wouldnt even call it a surf school really, just board/wetsuit hire etc. Also, my favourite of course, the insurance? Does this fall under the Public liability insurance category? Any info would be great, and as always, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

nothing? really? Humpff! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You didnt even wait 24 hours for a reply to be honest and it was a Sunday night, patience is a virtue as they say.

You couldn't really class it as a school as you aren't offering lessons, its a place to rent gear. Whereabouts are you based? Is there a requirement there for this kind of stuff, is there no one offering it already? How does it tie into the current business? One seems entertainment the other seems sports and leisure related.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

Any of the good surfing spots in Ireland already have surf schools offering board/suit hire and lessons.

It's a bit more niche than you think.

Personally I'd someone that owns a surf school to be a pretty good surfer too!

Axwell wrote: »
    You didnt even wait 24 hours for a reply to be honest and it was a Sunday night, patience is a virtue as they say.

You couldn't really class it as a school as you aren't offering lessons, its a place to rent gear. Whereabouts are you based? Is there a requirement there for this kind of stuff, is there no one offering it already? How does it tie into the current business? One seems entertainment the other seems sports and leisure related.

Yep! i know, sorry! i am bit impatient:o
    I spend alot of time between Galway/Clare myself. There would be a few of them around as well i know, a good few in clare for instance but i havnt noticed that many in galway and it would also seem to be quite successful for those currently doing it. I hear what your saying about the entertainment/sports and leisure tie. It had crossed my mind il admit, but no closer than that at the moment im afraid.

smtdos wrote: »
    Any of the good surfing spots in Ireland already have surf schools offering board/suit hire and lessons.

It's a bit more niche than you think.

Personally I'd someone that owns a surf school to be a pretty good surfer too!

Hey, +1 on that for a start, i hear ya! yeah there are a few around alright ive noticed, plus after years of getting pounded by the waves at spanish point, ive got the surfing down to a tee at this stage!:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Yep! i know, sorry! i am bit impatient:o
    I spend alot of time between Galway/Clare myself. There would be a few of them around as well i know, a good few in clare for instance but i havnt noticed that many in galway and it would also seem to be quite successful for those currently doing it. I hear what your saying about the entertainment/sports and leisure tie. It had crossed my mind il admit, but no closer than that at the moment im afraid.

I think theres a bit of a problem with surfing in Galway, its called the Aran Islands and it blocks all the waves.

I might be wrong but I don't know of many beaches in Galway that are considered surf destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

There are no surfing schools in Galway as there are no regular waves for surfing in Galway. Nearest spots to my knowledge would be to the south - Fanore, Co. Clare and to the North Louisburgh Co. Mayo. Both have well established surf schools.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Would you consider something like a florider. I think there is a market for something like this for flat days and for people who are not living close to good breaks. I looked into it a yr ago but did not have the readies for it but there is def soemthing there............

frAg

dont know why the video link is not showing but follow it and you will see what I am talking about

Mod Edit: The url doesnt work either - if you pm me the link ill post it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Castlegregory, Kerry - Stradbally specifically. No chance of getting planning permission to build any structure though.

frag420 wrote: »
    Would you consider something like a florider. I think there is a market for something like this for flat days and for people who are not living close to good breaks. I looked into it a yr ago but did not have the readies for it but there is def soemthing there............

frAg

dont know why the video link is not showing but follow it and you will see what I am talking about

Mod Edit: The url doesnt work either - if you pm me the link ill post it for you

Had a look! took a while to find a video of it mind, but not too bad, food for thought!
    Actually how much would one of those cost, would you have an idea buddy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

frag420 wrote: »

frAg

Had a look! took a while to find a video of it mind, but not too bad, food for thought!
    Actually how much would one of those cost, would you have an idea buddy?

Got a media pack from a UK company a few yrs ago. Let me have a look and il see if I can find it.

FrAg

Advertisement