Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welding glass pics

• 21-08-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Not really looking for C&C, but welcome all comments all the same. Simply don't want to ressucitate old thread, but had said at the time I would post to show attempts, so here goes :

2AB5AEE1D78B484BB5CB6E813864E400-0000341098-0002499648-00800L-E4331AE3B54742AD8ABB70A3B38567F8.jpg

DAA31FF8628B448EB53F7DD96FA64BDA-0000341098-0002499650-00800L-F3BA5B2CF13F45C08987CAFE1DC763F9.jpg

a crop
    510A5FC394914392B9C32FAA47490B51-0000341098-0002499649-00800L-9097243258A3448382D33775651A5D2C.jpg

Good fun trying, will have to do the obligatory "water" shot (beach or river), but I like mostly the idea of some static and some moving subjects, so if I ever get a chance I'll try in a busy place.
    The choice of subject here was absolutely practical as I live 2 minutes from that scene, have to say I really didn't care much for composition or interest in this case.

Exposure varied, but I think I was sort of happy with around 3 minutes at 800 iso and F8 or so. I'm not a bit technical or organised so writing them down for use later is an idea that crossed my mind and was dismissed, but I think it will come to that.

I think with trial and error I'll be able to bring down iso and increase exposure time, and improve focus (think I moved it when setting glass up). Also had a bit of light leak top and bottom thus the light line in the middle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I love this idea!
    Is the glass flat, or slightly warped, out of curiosity?

Also a levels adjustment on the first one, would make it a stunner imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The glass is flat, got it in the hardware shop for 2 euros, just a little rectangle. Having said that it's so cheap I wouldn't be surprised if they all had some defects.

I have photoshop and had to download Picasa because the Raw files from the Pentax K-x weren't read by photoshop (PEF), so I tried "fixing" them a bit, turned them b&w because they come out green with the glass, but I'm not much good with levels etc... so if I do anything else with them I lose a lot of detail, if anyone wants to have a go, feel free !
    (all I do with my photoshop is sharpen and pull curves up a bit when something's too dark :o. Although I did try to do a coloursplash today
    (DOUBLE :o) and had to use a layer, mighty proud of myself for that.

Found my old thread for anyone interested http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056181580

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

6041496645_05bef63a7a_z.jpg
    ISO 160 - 229 secs - 5pm - Welding glass so dark I could barely see thru it holding it to light!!

Wow iso 160, I like the neater quality. Mine are just so grainy. Can't see through my glass at all either, it's grading 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

6F305760CFF4457F97AD0AABEAA788F5-0000339762-0002480679-00800L-4F7F182421FE4831A0F3E2004B3EF05B.jpg

125 sec f/10 iso 200

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I kept reading the title as Wedding Glass and was getting all confused.

Must be tired.

... well I did get tumblers and stuff for my wedding, but haven't felt the need to photograh them yet :D

Kbeg 3, 125 seconds at F10 and 200 iso seems very short for me, is your glass a grade lighter I wonder ?

Must try mine again, maybe in brighter situation, I really want to try a lower iso, I pushed mine to 800 several times I think, even 1600 for one shot if I remember well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Have a couple of filters but the one I use is an 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is this something along the lines of using a UV filter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is this something along the lines of using a UV filter?

More akin to using an ND filter I would have thought.

More akin to using an ND filter I would have thought.
    I got an ND4 filter, never used it, came in a pack of filters. I've only been trying the UV one so far.

Yes Scumlord, it's like using a very dark filter, for those too mean to buy the proper one :D.
    Ah, it's more the fun of "lifehacking"/diy-ing it than anything else really.

Yes Scumlord, it's like using a very dark filter, for those too mean to buy the proper one :D.
    Ah, it's more the fun of "lifehacking"/diy-ing it than anything else really.
    I was inspired to go out and take pictures of cows today because of the pictures. :D I tried it with the UV filter but haven't had much success my camera only seems to go up to 1 minute open shutter so I've been waiting for sunny days so it's bright enough to use the UV filter.

It's fun experimenting, anyway. Yes, one minute will restrain you somehow, but as I was looking at the exif data from my pics I realized the ones above actually weren't exposed for 3 min, way less than that in fact, so you could still get the "transparent cow" effect, if these ladies will oblige with the right moves, and if your filter and exposure are right.

I was thinking sunny days are probably better for the cows thing, or warm days, since they're more likely to be a bit lazy, so you'll have some very still ones and the youngsters moving, and maybe even some lying in the grass if you're lucky. Ahhh... the thrills of photographing cows :D.

Now looking at what I just said, I'm thinking hhhmmm... people in a park would probably behave in similar fashion ? Oldies relaxing and sunbathing, kiddies moving... damn it, just gave away my idea :P

Advertisement