Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM upgrade help pls

Options
  • 21-08-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

I've got an old PC with 512mb RAM which I want to upgrade. can someone please advise what I need to look out for. Current status is 512mb (2 x 256). The info on the existing one is

DDR - 400MHz - CL3
    PC3200U - 3033 - 0 - AO

there are no spare memory slots. Can I go directly to a 1GB on one slot or do I need to go for 2 x 512mb. I've had a look on maplin and komplett but theres so much there I'm bit afraid to order wrong stuff. Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Your motherboard may not support 1GB DIMMs in the first place. Look up the specs on the motherboard and you should be able to work it out from there. But if it does you can pick up 1 GB DIMMs that would work for around the 25e mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

id go on crucual on the computer and see what is needed then compare prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

....Look up the specs on the motherboard....

Download CPU-z http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.58-setup-en.exe
    or
    Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

..and tell us more details about mobo. I assume 2x512mb has faster data transfer rates since working in dual channel mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

sorry but you've lost me a bit with the tech stuff. I'm a real novice.

I did a crucial check and came up with that it can handle 2GB.

where do I find the spec on the motherboard - does piriform do the same as crucial for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

There should be a tool on Crucial that will tell you all you need to know about what RAM you have and what is the best RAM your motherboard will support.

If not, as was mentioned get CPU-Z(it's a program) run it and post the info about your motherboard and RAM. Pics of CPU-Z will help people help you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement