Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill Advice

• 21-08-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am new to DIY and am in the process of tidying the shed.
    I am looking to buy a new drill which can do hammer and screw
    Any advice on what to buy. Budgeting around 200.
    any help would ge greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

HI boksmashoffic, I just got a Dewalt dc725 18v in B&Q for €120 they also had a Makita 18v with a 100 piece drill bit set for €117 and a two drill set for €80 that I can't remember the name of, might be worth a look.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I bought an 18v Bosch cordless with hammer-action in B&Q on Friday for 99Euro. It comes with 2 Li-Ion batteries.

I have a question for the experts.

My previous cordless drill had 2 Ni-Cad batteries. I would say I only got about 30 - 40 uses out of them. I used one while I charged the other one.

As stated above, I now have one with 2 Li-Ion batteries.
    As I only use it for small projects about the house, would I be better off just using one battery, and saving the second one until the first degrades. I don't want a repeat of what happened previously.

Also, if I only use it occasionaly, should I use up what's left of the battery before I store it back in its box. Does storing it when it's almost fully charged degrade the battery more than storing it on an empty charge?
    Cheers.
    Dilallio

Edit: There's another link here in the bargain alerts forum about cordless drills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

Any brand name drill wont let you down, do not buy cheap what ever you do, as you can pick up a dewalt or Makita for reasonable amount of money. I find that dewalts have better battery life than Makita if your going for cordless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

dilallio wrote: »
    I bought an 18v Bosch cordless with hammer-action in B&Q on Friday for 99Euro. It comes with 2 Li-Ion batteries.

I have a question for the experts.

My previous cordless drill had 2 Ni-Cad batteries. I would say I only got about 30 - 40 uses out of them. I used one while I charged the other one.

As stated above, I now have one with 2 Li-Ion batteries.
    As I only use it for small projects about the house, would I be better off just using one battery, and saving the second one until the first degrades. I don't want a repeat of what happened previously.

Also, if I only use it occasionaly, should I use up what's left of the battery before I store it back in its box. Does storing it when it's almost fully charged degrade the battery more than storing it on an empty charge?
    Cheers.
    Dilallio

Edit: There's another link here in the bargain alerts forum about cordless drills

Hi, far as I know Ni-Cad batteries suffer a bit from memory charge - dont take too well from being charged from, say, half full. You won't have that problem with the Li-Ion.

There are less full charges in a Li-Ion, but overall they are better. I would use both together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

All batteries start to fail after roughly 1000 charges or so..meaning that battery dosent hold charge quite as well...all companies know it and it's the reason buying spare batteries is so dear...never over charge a battery and let batteries run fully flat before charging to get maximum life from them....B&q great sale on de-walt drill... Have one at home and when I seen the price(just inside the door)I couldn't pass it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Any name brand, bosch , black and decker

Depends on what you intend to do with it really, personally I wouldn't go for cordless for a main drill.
    In this regard B&Q and Argos are good guidelines for price and for offers (ie price deals)
    I'd even say parkside (LIDL) are ok for a corded drill, but I was told by someone else that has one they are very happy with it (I have a cordless one from them and its ok for what I use)
    I bought a black and decker in argos that was on sale for around 30 euro, so 200 is way loads, maybe way too much.
    I'd say dont spend way over the odds if it is for occasional DIY,
    AND
    I'd say get one that has a plastic box/case (I'm sure most do, but not having a plastic case is a pain for storage/losing bits and pieces out of the box) ie i have a jigsaw without a plastic case and its a pain.

edit and of course hammer action and a variable speed, I'll check the wattage and add that later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Hi Guys,
    I am new to DIY and am in the process of tidying the shed.
    I am looking to buy a new drill which can do hammer and screw
    Any advice on what to buy. Budgeting around 200.
    any help would ge greatly appreciated

I think you should go for a corded drill if its for work at home. I find that when I need to do a job in a hurry, the battery is always too flat for purpose. The old corded black and decker is always ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

johnayo wrote: »
    I think you should go for a corded drill if its for work at home. I find that when I need to do a job in a hurry, the battery is always too flat for purpose. The old corded black and decker is always ready to go.
    +1
    I used to have one of those '100e promotion' Makitas. They are more of a screwdriver than a drill, batteries discharge after few minutes of heavy work.
    I use a corded drill now. If cordless than maybe 24V? Had a Wurth 24V at work and it was indestructible, also the batteries last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Hi Guys,
    Many thanks for all your advice,
    I inherited a Roybi 18v drill from bro in law. Seems to be doing the job at the moment.
    maybe will buy one at x-mas

Advertisement