Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Backyard Burning

Options
  • 21-08-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi all, As title suggests, house next door is rented to some not very nice people. Problem at moment is they are burning horse bedding, ie, straw and horses**t. They keep two ponies. It stinks to high heaven. If wind is blowing in my direction then I have to close all windows and vents. The council is following it up. (verbal warning which worked for a while, and a written warning on the way) Burning is now taking place at evenings and weekends. I cant approach these people yet until I see what council can do.
    The owner/landlord wont answer any calls and does'nt want to know, ( he had house on market for a long time but couldnt sell so last resort was to rent to this shower.
    Can the landlord ignore this, Is it worth reporting to the guards. Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nophd08 wrote: »
    The owner/landlord wont answer any calls and does'nt want to know
    A landlord is responsible to third parties for the behaviour of their tenants.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Nothing good will come of this for you, it may be less hassle to consider moving elsewhere.

Pity the world isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

spockety wrote: »
    Nothing good will come of this for you, it may be less hassle to consider moving elsewhere.

Pity the world isn't ideal.

Not an option spock, I own my property. Also its in a country area.
    I think my best game plan is to hound the landlord, and I will...

Is burning stuff like that not illegal? Therefore a matter that the Gardaí would happily look into?

Perhaps give them a bell the next time they burn something and hope that the Gardaí have arrived during it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

IIRC there is a theory in political science that says one of the first signals that there is a revolution on the way is people begin to burn rubbish in their back garden. It's just a theory though :D

• Advertisement

RATM wrote: »
    IIRC there is a theory in political science that says one of the first signals that there is a revolution on the way is people begin to burn rubbish in their back garden. It's just a theory though :D

Seems to be a permanent revolution next door.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It seems to be illegal: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/burning_household_waste.html

Inform the Gardai the next time they are doing it, and see if you can get them charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

the_syco wrote: »
    It seems to be illegal: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/burning_household_waste.html

Inform the Gardai the next time they are doing it, and see if you can get them charged.

This isn't a matter for the gardai. Contact the environment section of your local authority. Take pictures of the burning as it takes place as they could be used as evidence if needed (since environmental inspectors only work office hours usually and won't be available in the evening / weekends to inspect). Your local authority should be escalating proceedings at this stage if they've already issued a verbal and written warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

the_syco wrote: »

The link above covers household waste, but I'm not sure if straw or horse bedding come under the above. A family member contacted the Dept of the Environment a few years ago re. burning cuttings from shrubs and they were told that that was no problem.

Your best bet would be to get in contact with the Dept of the Environment and ask them if burning straw falls under the remit of 'household waste'. Then you can plan your course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

The gards or council are too afraid of and don't want the hassle of dealing with knackers like this. Its a pity they are being let in to "normal" estates. Gonna be happening more and more though

• Advertisement

sealgaire wrote: »
    knackers
    No need for language like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

There is something deffinitely wrong in the society if peple start burning horse s**t on the backyard.
    Why are they doing it. I bet not because they enjoy the smell.
    If they burn that becaue they can not afford of disposing off that in a proper way ?

I just can not understand why would people burn horse s**t on the backyard in Eeurope in 21st century.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

FixYa wrote: »
    I just can not understand why would people burn horse s**t on the backyard in Eeurope in 21st century.

The reason- is the difficulty in legally disposing of it, a probable lack of composting facilities, a landlord who doesn't give a damn and a gormless council whose verbal warnings they have copped, aren't worth tuppenny ha-penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You should contact/write to the Waste Management Dept in your local authority. If the complaint is in writing they have to act and write to the occupant.

All burning has stopped for a long time, due to intervention by council/dept of environment and also horses were removed, not sure by who, but.... horses have since returned in past few days but no burning as of yet. No proper stable facilities or suitable size ground for these poor animals. I'll be keeping a close eye....:mad:

nophd08 wrote: »
    but.... horses have since returned in past few days but no burning as of yet. No proper stable facilities or suitable size ground for these poor animals. I'll be keeping a close eye....:mad:
    Ring the ISPCA? http://www.ispca.ie

Just to note that this thread is more than a year old.

Victor wrote: »
    Just to note that this thread is more than a year old.

The OP came back :D Seems the horseies are also back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

if you are not happy that the council has taken you seriously or taken no action complain to the EPA they have the power to force the council to take action on environmental complaints usually a phone from them will get ball rolling (fear of council being prosecuted by epa)

Advertisement