Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Where to get a worn screw removed from a computer?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I need to remove a screw that is in a laptop computer, but unfortunately the head of the screw is worn down, and I just can't remove it with a screwdriver. Do you know anywhere in Dublin, preferrably walking distance from city centre or Dublin 8, where someone could remove that stripped screw for me?

Unfortunately I don't have any things like a drill or any other equipment apart from basic screwdrivers, so I'm hoping there's a shop or handyman where I could get such a thing done. If anybody knows, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a few computer fixing places around D8 that might be able to help but will probably charge.

SCR Computers at Sallys Bridge and there's another place opposite where Chamber St flats used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

'Computers Umlimited' next to Phibsboro shopping centre would be too far out, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

buy a needle nose vice-grip, clamp it on the head of the screw, and twist
    anti clockwise. If the head of the screw is surrounded by the case you may have to shave off part of the case to get purchase on the screw. Its not pretty
    but it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

I needed this exact thing done and some guys in the laptop place on George's Street did it for me in about a minute. They're based on George's Street, a couple of doors up from the Capital Bar (in the Aungier's Street direction), next to a mobile phone fixing place.

They're sound guys and they did the job for me free of charge (although they might not do that everytime). The guy just stuck a really sharp thin screwdriver into the worn screw (piercing it basically) and unscrewed it that way. Champions!

Advertisement