Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why '61 to '90?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the reason for using the data from 1961 to 1990 as the base to compare conditions against?

Seeing as there is reliable data from around 1961 onwards, why not use a 50 year average i.e. 1961 to 2010.

Or if met eireann etc only want to use 30 years data, why not use the most recent 30 years, i.e. 1981 to 2010, which would be surely more relevant for comparison?

We refer to temps for a period of time being above or below the 61 to 90 average, but given that the 81 to 10 averages are usually different would it not be more relevant now.

So why?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

You should email Met Eireann and ask them, I'm sure they will respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It is the WMO (World Meteorological Organization) standard that most met agencies follow.

The UK Met office do use 71-00 reference period as well as 61-90.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Like Mothman said, it was a standard set down at the time by the WMO.
    From reading various sources, they (WMO) decided at the time (1960-61) that they need a base line to compare everything else to, so the 30 year period was decide upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Have often thought of this before myself. No reason why that dataset shouldn't be available for reference even if it isn't the WHO standard. Surely things will have only gotten more accurate as the years passed by.

Would also be interesting to see the datasets 61-90, 71-00 and 81-10 in the context of the global warming and climate change debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Would also be interesting to see the datasets 61-90, 71-00 and 81-10 in the context of the global warming and climate change debate.

true , that defo would be interesting to see the differences ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

NIALL D wrote: »
    true , that defo would be interesting to see the differences ..

or lack of them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

They say that 61-90 was chosen because there was no real net increase or decrease in temperature throughout the period, so it offered a stable reference. However, temperatures fell at the start, then recovered in the 80s, so I wouldn't exactly call that steady!

People have been made to think that "normal" or "average" values mean that the climate was once steady and "perfect", and that now it's all gone variable and wild.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Su Campu wrote: »
    They say that 61-90 was chosen because there was no real net increase or decrease in temperature throughout the period, so it offered a stable reference. However, temperatures fell at the start, then recovered in the 80s, so I wouldn't exactly call that steady!

People have been made to think that "normal" or "average" values mean that the climate was once steady and "perfect", and that now it's all gone variable and wild.......:rolleyes:

Hence why i think a '61-'10 average, increasing every 10 years would make more sense!!!

Advertisement