Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Scholarship/JP McManus Scholarship

• 21-08-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

Does anyone know anyone who got this scholarship before, if so do you know how many points they got?

I was wondering what the "average" points are for people who get it is.

Also when does one hear if they have won it?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

I really want to know this as well, I've read through other threads on this & the lowest I've seen someone get is 545 I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

ChloeElla wrote: »
    I really want to know this as well, I've read through other threads on this & the lowest I've seen someone get is 545 I think?

I'm after finding out that a boy in my county who got it last year got 505 :O

I'm after finding out that a boy in my county who got it last year got 505 :O

Wow really? :O There may be hope for me! Though they have to give it to two people per county :/ out of interest, what county is that? So I can be nosy & check how many got it in your county :P

Wow really? :O There may be hope for me! Though they have to give it to two people per county :/ out of interest, what county is that? So I can be nosy & check how many got it in your county :P

Oh there was definitely only two in my county. I don't know what the other one got though! We have a very low population!

Oh there was definitely only two in my county. I don't know what the other one got though! We have a very low population!

Ah I see :/ There were four in mine, but they come from the "posh" schools! :P

• Advertisement

Ah I see :/ There were four in mine, but they come from the "posh" schools! :P

Isn't the All Ireland Scholarship only for people with medical cards? :cool: Doubt poor folk like us could afford to go to the "posh" schools :p

Isn't the All Ireland Scholarship only for people with medical cards? :cool: Doubt poor folk like us could afford to go to the "posh" schools :p

Yep! Well posh for where I'm from... ;) Not private! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mr_brightside

Can anyone shed light on this? would over 530 be nearly a safe bet? or what would be?

Can anyone shed light on this? would over 530 be nearly a safe bet? or what would be?

No-one really knows :/ It just depends on how well everyone else does I guess. Also if you live in a small county, I think you have a bigger advantage?

No-one really knows :/ It just depends on how well everyone else does I guess. Also if you live in a small county, I think you have a bigger advantage?

It's done on population :) Does anyone know when they award them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

It's done on population :) Does anyone know when they award them?

From looking at last years thread, it looks like people got the letter roughly this week or next week (but last year if that makes sense):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 parabola_89

Does anyone know anyone who got this scholarship before, if so do you know how many points they got?

I was wondering what the "average" points are for people who get it is.

Also when does one hear if they have won it?

Thanks in advance. :)

I was awarded one when the scheme started in 2008. Got 580 in the Leaving but it goes on more than just points. Your parents income, where you live and so on are all taken into account.

I'd already applied for and been awarded the Bank of Ireland scholarship (Millenium Scholars fund? Can't rightly remember!) so had to make a choice. The B.o.I. one gave more money and provided a mentor but it required a means test every year and I didn't want to put my parents to that hassle! You can only hold one scholarship and you have to be getting the grant to be eligible. From the people I know (there are six or seven in my college year that are getting it -they organise a presentation ceremony so there's no hiding it from each other!) it usually has to be the full rate of maintenance too.

If you're lucky enough to get one they'll get in contact with you around the time the colleges send out the information packs. Basically as soon as they're sure you're going to college. It might have changed since but there's no such thing as "applying" for it per se. If you're eligible they'll have gotten you're information from whatever body is organising your grant. (The B.o.I. one required interviews, candidate statements and so on.)

As I said though I might be wrong. Things change a lot in three years! Good luck with it though. It makes a massive difference over the course of the college year! :D Gonna miss it once I graduate after this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Guys, anyone got it yet? :D Last year a girl from my county got it and she got 490 in the LC, so I'm hoping that there's some light at the end of the tunnel for me! When do the results usually come out?

AgathaK wrote: »
    Guys, anyone got it yet? :D Last year a girl from my county got it and she got 490 in the LC, so I'm hoping that there's some light at the end of the tunnel for me! When do the results usually come out?

I haven't heard of anyone yet! Do you know how many people got it in your county last year?

Two people from my county got it. I think two people with the best results from each county get it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Two people from my county got it. I think two people with the best results from each county get it?

It's not just done on results.
    'Challenging circumstances' play a big factor.
    There's a minimum of two from each county.

Here's info from their site:
    In the Republic of Ireland:
    You must be exempt from paying the Leaving Certificate Fee and attend a non-fee paying secondary school. (Exemption from payment of the Leaving Certificate fee must have been communicated to the State Examinations Commission before the issue of the Leaving Certificate results). There is currently no application process in the Republic of Ireland, the completion of the form for exemption from the Leaving Certificate Fee automatically communicates your eligibility to the Department of Education and Skills via the State Examinations Commission. Also the candidate must not be the holder of another scholarship as outlined in further detail on the Department of Education and Skills website.

http://www.allirelandscholarships.com/
    Exemption from paying the LC fee usually means a medical card.

What do you mean by ''challenging factors''?

^^ Basically you need to have attended a non fee paying secondary school (check) and been exempt from paying the Leaving Cert fees (check) , usually because your family have a medical card.

Has anyone received a letter about this yet? I was reading a thread from last year and it was late August when the winners from last year were notified..

That's two ticks for me so...

I still have hopes that there's a light at the end of the tunel but I haven't heard anything yet, might as well be prepared for nothing... :P

That's two ticks for me so...

I still have hopes that there's a light at the end of the tunel but I haven't heard anything yet, might as well be prepared for nothing... :P

Same... wonder when the winners are notified?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Prunequallor

It says on their site that they do checks to see if candidates have accepted a third-level course and have received a maintenance grant. I can't imagine they could do this before at least the second week of september if not later.

Is there anyway to check what points past winners got? I got 545 and want to see if I have any chance at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know someone got one with high 400s - maybe 490, not exactly sure.

It's more about the achievement considering other factors. Not wanting to go into details in case I identify this person, but they had a lot of difficulties in their life and to get that mark was astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Prunequallor

I got a letter today telling me I'm being considered for the scholarship. This is amazing news if I get it, not having to worry about money would be a huge load off my shoulders.

It's a bit odd how late the letter came out, especially as the reply has to be in by 5pm on thursday. I spent a fiver on quickpost to be sure. Did anybody else get this letter?

I got a letter today telling me I'm being considered for the scholarship. This is amazing news if I get it, not having to worry about money would be a huge load off my shoulders.

It's a bit odd how late the letter came out, especially as the reply has to be in by 5pm on thursday. I spent a fiver on quickpost to be sure. Did anybody else get this letter?

Really?! Aww congrats to you, thats fantastic :)

I guess I'm not being considered so since I didn't get a letter. I'll have to defer college until I can earn enough money to go.. :(
    FML

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bamhaithliom

Got a letter that I'm being considered for this scholarship. Do I have to be in receipt of a maintenance grant?? I have a medical card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Got a letter saying I was being considered for this two weeks ago. Got the formal offer letter today :D

Pretty thrilled.

Got a letter saying I was being considered for this two weeks ago. Got the formal offer letter today :D

Pretty thrilled.

Congratulations, that is great! :D

Does one have to have received the letter of consideration in order to receive the formal offer letter?

I didn't get a letter of consideration but am still hoping to be offered the scholarship. I got a lot more points than the winners in my county last year.

I e-mailed them and they said the offer letters to my county are being posted tomorrow?!

I'm so nervous :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bamhaithliom

Pretty thrilled.

Got my formal acceptance letter today too. So happy.

Guess I'll be seeing you in Limerick in November :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Marthaa

Jp Mc Manus, I love you. :D Serious night out on the 19th to celebrate!

Advertisement