Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is 'Software Engineering'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Trojan wrote: »
    Just as an aside: a "programmer" may not be a person who actually writes code - their task may be that of data entry - "programming" the machine. Not quite so black and white as claimed herein.

Not that I want to confuse matters, you understand :)

That level of abstraction is beyond my comprehension in terms of relating it to this thread. For anyone like me out there who is still learning to use an abacus, could you substantiate that with an example relevant to the thread, ie specific application of said "programming" task in a commercial environment, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Just as an aside: a "programmer" may not be a person who actually writes code - their task may be that of data entry - "programming" the machine. Not quite so black and white as claimed herein.

Not that I want to confuse matters, you understand :)

Data entry is not programming, programming refers specifically to the design/creation/maintenance of the source code for a piece of software.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Data entry is not programming, programming refers specifically to the design/creation/maintenance of the source code for a piece of software.

I suspect what he is trying to get at is that you could have an application running that takes specific input and performs certain tasks based on that input, it's quite a philosophical approach but literally the input itself would be deemed data entry however that begs the question, what is the definition of code? as the data being entered could be interpreted as code to the application running in this instance making it not so black and white, this thread could go on forever. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

No, it does not.

Programming a device is possible without any design or creation knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

To program: "Provide (a computer or other machine) with coded instructions for the automatic performance of a particular task"
    Galtee wrote: »
    That level of abstraction is beyond my comprehension in terms of relating it to this thread. For anyone like me out there who is still learning to use an abacus, could you substantiate that with an example relevant to the thread, ie specific application of said "programming" task in a commercial environment, thanks.

Yes, it is a level of abstraction above. In part to demonstrate the irrelevance of any definitive answer on this thread. There are no black and white answers here.

• Advertisement

To program: "Provide (a computer or other machine) with coded instructions for the automatic performance of a particular task"

Yes, it is a level of abstraction above. In part to demonstrate the irrelevance of any definitive answer on this thread. There are no black and white answers here.

As you say, its completely irrelevant as my definition is from somewhere else :D

Still though its an internet forum, arguing irrelevant semantics is what its all about ;)

CODE : Computing program instructions:assembly code

Taken from the same source you got your definition of Program. In my opinion that seems fairly black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Which one is the programmer and which one is the data entry clerk:
    http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/eniac1.html

Probably the one with glasses is the programmer, she looks smarter. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

/facepalm

I'm pretty sure that's Betty Bartik (BSc, MSc, PhD) and Betty Snyder. You might have heard of them - both went on to build UNIVAC and Snyder worked with Hopper inventing COBOL. They're listed amongst the most important people in the history of computer science...

Sparks wrote: »
    /facepalm

I'm pretty sure that's Betty Bartik (BSc, MSc, PhD) and Betty Snyder. You might have heard of them - both went on to build UNIVAC and Snyder worked with Hopper inventing COBOL. They're listed amongst the most important people in the history of computer science...

More details can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

@trojan

Data entry doesn't provide code, it provides data.

Data entry doesn't provide code, it provides data.

I'm sorry, who is that directed at?

Sparks wrote: »
    /facepalm

I'm not too sure of the purpose of the face palm?

I'm not too sure of the purpose of the face palm?

The posters method of informing everyone that he is far more knowledgeable than the other posters.

tl:dr being a dick.

I'm sorry, who is that directed at?

Edited my post to clarify, trojan.

I've not had my coffee yet :o

The posters method of informing everyone that he is far more knowledgeable than the other posters.

He must be a software engineer, they are more cocky than developers. :P

In case anyone was wondering, I posted the picture of programmers at the ENIAC machine to hammer a point home that programmer is hard to define, as the abstractions are many. Another good picture might be of a GUI based programming system, where you drag and drop sensors about the place. Then we can argue what it means to be a programmer, and if you have to be a programmer to be a software developer, and at what level of abstraction. When does it become an engineer?

The photo is of Gloria Ruth Gordon and Ester Gerston, by the way.

In case anyone was wondering, I posted the picture of programmers at the ENIAC machine to hammer a point home that programmer is hard to define, as the abstractions are many. Another good picture might be of a GUI based programming system, where you drag and drop sensors about the place. Then we can argue what it means to be a programmer, and if you have to be a programmer to be a software developer, and at what level of abstraction. When does it become an engineer?

LOL so he didnt even get the people in the picture right when attempting to patronize the other users, love it :D

I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking now, So what you're saying is if I sit on a chair in my kitchen, hold a plat in one hand and a wooden spoon in the other and make broom broom noises that I'm a driver? :D

Edited my post to clarify, trojan.

I've not had my coffee yet :o

No bother, I just thought I'd missed something, that's all :)

I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking now, So what you're saying is if I sit on a chair in my kitchen, hold a plat in one hand and a wooden spoon in the other and make broom broom noises that I'm a driver? :D

I would prefer the term operator.

• Advertisement

I think mad man is more appropriate :P

LOL Nice one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

In theory a software engineer do things like draw the block diagrams showing how everything interacts; and then the programmer would code it?

Obviously it practice it overlaps a lot more but I think by definition that's an example of the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

In theory a software engineer do things like draw the block diagrams showing how everything interacts

Surely thats the job of the Architect ?

ding ding, seconds out, round two. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I keep trying to post on this thread, and keep tying myself up trying to decide what certain titles are.

Basically the whole thing is just a mess. There's a lot of different titles, split between 2 or 3 different classifications of titles. There's qualifications, job titles, and arguably job roles. And where it gets really messy is that many/most titles overlap between them depending who/when/how they are used.

Software Engineer is really a qualification, not a job role, but many jobs will be advertised with their title being Software Engineer, even though what they normally want is a Developer or a Programmer. When they actually do want a Software Engineer the ad is normally for job titled Architect.

An Operator is normally someone who just uses a computer, which is really just Data Entry, but can refer to someone who Administers a system, usually a mainframe, or it could also refer to some who Programs a machine (CAM machinery for e.g), so this could also be described as a Programmer.

Programmer and Developer are often interchangeable, but not always (like in the above CAM e.g.). Developer is often described as Junior or Senior, but there's no set levels of experience for either of these, or set roles or responsibilities. In some places a Senior Developer would just be a normal Developer, in others they would be a Team Lead but still a Programmer, in others they would take the role of Architect, or any combination of the above. Equally a Junior Developer role could contain any combination of the above, but probably at less pay than a Senior role.

An Analyst role may almost exclusively consist of Programming, or may contain nothing even close to Programming, or anywhere in between. Likewise for a Consultant role, only more so.

The point I'm hopefully starting to make clear is that there's lots of titles, most of which are are only vaguely related to what they actually involve, none of them define or completely encapsulate what they involve. And there's very little point arguing over them because even if you finally manage to agree, no one else will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

So who synergizes the backward overflow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

For fifty quid an hour I sweep the floors and make coffee too. :pac:

Work for a small company, and this thread becomes laughable. You end up doing all the stuff discussed, analyst, architect, engineer, programmer, admin etc.

tehjimmeh wrote: »
    So who synergizes the backward overflow?

Please consult a doctor.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    For fifty quid an hour I sweep the floors and make coffee too. :pac:

Work for a small company, and this thread becomes laughable. You end up doing all the stuff discussed, analyst, architect, engineer, programmer, admin etc.

The point is this happens in every company to some extent, the role titles are not defined enough, which is the whole premise of the thread

Advertisement