Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional music in dublin city?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

im lookin for a good night out in dublin city for my yank friend and i.

i havent been out drinking in the city for a number of years so my knowledge isnt very good on whats available

they would like the traditonal bands playing some celtic type music,some dubliner stuff,ronnie drew tunes you know the type of stuff.. a good laugh,drinks flowing,good times had by all

does anyone know of any good places

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I was in the Temple Bar (in Temple Bar) a few weeks back with some visitors from out of town. Band played stuff like you're asking for. It was great fun but the price of the pints was a bit off-putting. Maybe tank up before you head there? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Cobblestone in Smithfield. Much kinder on the pocket than drinking in The Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Oliver St. John Gogartys in Temple Bar plays the like, Christy Moore type of stuff and some older tunes, bit packed there mostly tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Arlington hotel on the quays have music and dancing most nights iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

I was in the Temple Bar (in Temple Bar) a few weeks back with some visitors from out of town. Band played stuff like you're asking for. It was great fun but the price of the pints was a bit off-putting. Maybe tank up before you head there? :)

Yeah were not lookin to pay crazy money for pints but if the music is great and the atmosphere is good then it might be worth payin an extra euro or 2 per drink

i might have to sip a pint longer then i usually would but thats ok :)

ill check it out,thanks for the info

• Advertisement

shakin wrote: »
    Arlington hotel on the quays have music and dancing most nights iirc

are you allowed to go into the hotel for drinks and shows if your not staying at the hotel

Oliver St. John Gogartys in Temple Bar plays the like, Christy Moore type of stuff and some older tunes, bit packed there mostly tho....

yeah thats the thing with temple bar,full of tourists and most places packed to the rafters,would not like to be standing all night,is it hard to get seats in them bars if you turn up around 9 or 10pm at night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Cobblestone in Smithfield. Much kinder on the pocket than drinking in The Temple Bar.

the cobblestone wins for me hands down!! there's a session in there 7 nights a week.. one of the nicest bars in Dublin imo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Will you get ballads in the Cobblestone or Gogarty's though? I would have thought it would be basically instrumental.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

upstairs in gogarty's you can get a bit of anything really.. as for the cobblestone, yeah it does tend to be mainly instrumental, but you can get a bit of singin the odd time.. the back bar often has gigs on where you might also get some ballads, but they're usually pay in gigs... nevertheless it still rates pretty highly for traditional music in my book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

CyberJuice wrote: »
    Hey guys

im lookin for a good night out in dublin city for my yank friend and i.

i havent been out drinking in the city for a number of years so my knowledge isnt very good on whats available

they would like the traditonal bands playing some celtic type music,some dubliner stuff,ronnie drew tunes you know the type of stuff.. a good laugh,drinks flowing,good times had by all

does anyone know of any good places

dublin does not have great trad, but several places play touristy music.

I would recommend The Merry Ploughboy somewhere on the Southside on the foothills of the Dublin Mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the cobblestone wins for me hands down!! there's a session in there 7 nights a week.. one of the nicest bars in Dublin imo

nice place but very full

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Downstairs in the Stags Head is usually good especially at the weekend, very central location and usually has a good mix of people.

Advertisement