Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of the angelus?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Is it acceptable, that in the year 2011 when the country has moved on in so many other ways, that every day at six before the news we have this piece of religious propaganda shoved down our throats? Bong, bong, bong – everyone in the clip stops what they are doing…..it’s like something out of the comely maiden era of 1950’s Ireland, when Dev and the Church controlled practically every aspect of our lives.

Would you support abolishing it from the airwaves?

Should RTE get rid of the angelus 354 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 354 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I thought this thread was to do with removing a genital part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

DING...

DONG!!!

DING...

DONG!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

They should make it into specific tunes. E.g. the birdie song, the british national anthem, etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

its Bong, Bong, Bong...

...It promotes drug use Joe, IT SHOULD GO!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Why are you still watching RTE?
    Wouldn't bother me either way to be honest though. It's a minute of my life. If that's the worst way someone wastes a minute of my life then I think I have it pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Oh look, another religion thread.

And yes, be gone bong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

They should bring back the old angelus with the randomers stopping in the middle of whatever they're doing and looking around for wherever the feckin' bell is.

The new one is crap.

Can they have it optional i.e., "red button for angelus" on RTÉ Digital?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

But then the six-one news would have to change it's name!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Why are you still watching RTE?

Why not? I love Nationwide. Grand programme altogether. Oh god, I've said too much

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I just mute the t.v. until it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

But then the six-one news would have to change it's name!!

So that's why it's called that! Never copped that before..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Watch 60 seconds of the BBC News/Sky News before flicking over to catch the top of the RTE bulletin.
    Great invention, keep it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

RTÉ is the national broadcaster of a secular state. It shouldn't be played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm kinda torn. I don't believe in god and all that nonsense and think less religious influence on people and the state is a good thing.

The thing is though that the Angelus at 6 has almost passed from being a religious thing to a cultural thing.

tl;dr not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

RTÉ is the national broadcaster of a predominantly Catholic country. It should be played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Greentopia wrote: »
    Why not? I love Nationwide. Grand programme altogether. Oh god, I've said too much

Me too*!

*Except when it's about horses, religion or fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

We should just drag all these dastardly Papists Catholics over to Kilmainham jail some summer and start executing them....

Atheism: the new Penal Laws British Protestantism in Ireland; no tolerance for any people but themselves and their own delusional certainties about what is, in reality, a fundamentally unknowable existence. How very similar they are indeed in the certainty of their beliefs to the Catholic "believers" whom they patently need to detest.

Yours,

an agnostic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I think it should be scrapped, if you want it go to church or take out your beads and wail away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Keep it. It's almost a cultural thing now as well as religious and sixty seconds of a tolling bell has no ill effect on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

Dionysus wrote: »
    We should just drag all these dastardly Papists Catholics over to Kilmainham jail some summer and start executing them....

Atheism: the new Penal Laws British Protestantism in Ireland; no tolerance for any people but themselves and their own delusional certainties about what is, in reality, a fundamentally unknowable existence. How very similar they are indeed in the certainty of their beliefs to the Catholic "believers" whom they patently need to detest.

Yours,

an agnostic.

Don't hold any special regard for Protestantism to be brutally honest, as another branch of Christianity, I consider it a load of nonsense and primitive superstitious fearmongering just like Catholicism or any other branch of Christianity.

This is about the angelus on RTE however, nothing to do with Catholicism -vs- Protestantism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Why dear Jesus is this being discussed AGAIN!?!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

How is the people who have issues with religion are the ones who can't stop talking about it and starting threads in this forum?
    dilbert2 wrote: »
    it’s like something out of the comely maiden era of 1950’s Ireland,

speech made in 1943, 50th anniversary of the Gaelic League
    And comely is not mentioned once

Maybe read it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Why dear Jesus is this being discussed AGAIN!?!?!?!
    Because you touch yourself at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Whenever I hear the Angelus, I stop what I'm doing, then turn my head & look slightly upwards with a thoughtful look on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The Angelus has been diluted down alot in recent years, it is now really a minute of reflection, we don't have the holy pictures anymore so personally I'm not in the least bit offended by it.

I want to see Aongus' pretty face I minute earlier , cos fapping to bells peeling is just wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Surely its time they jazzed it up a bit.You know,throw in a bit of drum n bass and some hot nuns dancing and that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I haven't gone to mass in many, many years. I have no intention of going any time soon. I do, however, like peace and a few bells ringing calmly offer that respite from the commercial world. Not for a minute do I believe they embody the very same Roman Catholic church which supported the British state's Act of Union, whose representative read my father's father's name out from the alter during the Irish Civil War and which was the greatest enemy after the British that the Irish language ever had. Not to mention the church which is responsible for child abuse and so, so, so soooooooo much else.

It's an awful entity, but a single minute of calm on radio is refreshing. Nothing could be further from the power politics and anti-Irishness which has epitomised the Roman Catholic Church since 1155 AD. It is, however, noticeable that the principal objectors to the Angelus include the anti-Irish British unionist Robin Bury and his nutcase, hilarious-named "Reform Movement" which wants Ireland to become part of - you guessed it! - the British Commonwealth. Enough said.

Advertisement