Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of the angelus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Me too*!

*Except when it's about horses, religion or fashion.

Fashion meh, religion or horses no thank's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Because you touch yourself at night.

well they say you pay for your sins, didn't realise it would be having to see this thread re emerge from the depths of AH to annoy us all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Its only on for a few seconds so I couldbt give a fook about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Surely its time they jazzed it up a bit.You know,throw in a bit of drum n bass and some hot nuns dancing and that.

Like BBC News did with the time check pips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

get rid of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

It lasts a min, if its not your bag use it as a chance for a slash before the news, or an ideal time to pop the kettle on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I'm not even a Christian but I love the Angelus. It breaks up my day and maybe I've been brainwashed by it or something but a lot of days I do actually pause for reflection. It's six o'clock and the day is winding down, it gives me comfort.

I don't see what the big deal is about it. I don't know how anyone can be offended by a few bells ringing. If you don't believe in it then fair enough, it only lasts for a minute. Remember that there are people out there who's religion this is actually a part of. To deny them something as insignificant as the Angelus is complete and utter intolerance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, the way things are going we might have to give RTE to ARD as collateral for those loans..

So we can look forward to this single bong instead

Tagesshau mit Anne von Doyle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FunkZ wrote: »
    DING...

DONG!!!

DING...

DONG!!!

There is no "Ding" ya dong! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Well it is only a minute, so its not a big deal really. Leave them alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's pretty much harmless at this stage, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Is there any remixes might liven it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

As an atheist I should be opposed to it on principle I suppose, but I quite like the church bells when they play out a tune at 6pm (an actually tune, not the repetitive ringing of the angelus) and I'm walking home, with the evening sun casting over everything as it does on a clear day, I find that quite comforting. Especially as I walk the back roads of my town near the church, I just find that quite beautiful in a kind of a working class urban grey sense.

It's pretty much harmless at this stage, innit?

That was the leniency plea for the pedophile priests to, wasn't it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

No need to scrap it. It does no harm, it isn't patently Catholic, the modernised version is borderline funny, and if you don't like it, would it kill you to change the channel for less than 60 seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Here you go :D

Dionysus wrote: »
    Atheism: the new Penal Laws British Protestantism in Ireland; no tolerance for any people but themselves and their own delusional certainties about what is, in reality, a fundamentally unknowable existence. How very similar they are indeed in the certainty of their beliefs to the Catholic "believers" whom they patently need to detest.

Yours,

an agnostic.

I'm an agnostic atheist or soft atheist. I also like to believe I'm a tolerant individual and don't proclaim to know with any certainty that there is no god. I fully realise it is a fundamentally unknowable question and I live by the assumption there is none.
    Being an atheist doesn't cause me to have any 'delusional certainties' about the lack of existence of god.

I wish people didn't misattribute views to atheists that the majority in my experience don't hold. Hell even Dawkins counts himself as a soft atheist. But that's something that usually gets brushed over in the rush to criticise him as a 'militant atheist' (whatever the hell that means...)

Oops Snap! (Rhythm is a dancer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I definately dance around to that whilst making the dinner.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

While I think they should remove it, it ranks at the very bottom in terms of importance when it comes to measures that must be implemented to create a truly secular Ireland. I wouldn't really give a **** if it continued to play till the day I die.

Having said that, someone on the A&A forum made a good point a while back. If ever an atheist or secularist says the Angelus should be removed, you'll have people roll their eyes and say they're making a big deal out of nothing. But if RTE were to pull it with no explanation, as they do with programs all the time, you can be sure these same people would be up in arms and create an unholy stink over this unconsulted move.

So who's it actually a big deal to, in reality?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a minute to check the headlines over on BBC then check them on RTE so you can decide which news to watch.

Also it would require RTE to produce another 365 minutes of prime time pogramming each year. And that won't come cheap.

It ain't broken don't fix it.

A serious question for the OP - Do you watch RTE 1 at 6 O'Clock on a regular enough basis for this to be a big problem that can't be solved by you pressing your remote control ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

A serious question for the OP - Do you watch RTE 1 at 6 O'Clock on a regular enough basis for this to be a big problem that can't be solved by you pressing your remote control ?

In fairness, it isn't that it can't be solved by changing channels - there is a genuine point of principle in asking whether or not the state broadcaster ought to be displaying a sign of deference to religion in a Republic, as our country is.

Personally it doesn't bother me, in fact I like the angelus, but the question deserves to be taken seriously on a point of principle alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Nah it's fair handy. You have an alarm to wake you up in the morning and you have the angelus to alert you that it's dinner time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I tend to masturbate frantically during the angelus . . . gone in 60 seconds I call it :p.

But seriously, get rid of it.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    As an atheist I should be opposed to it on principle I suppose, but I quite like the church bells when they play out a tune at 6pm (an actually tune, not the repetitive ringing of the angelus) and I'm walking home, with the evening sun casting over everything as it does on a clear day, I find that quite comforting. Especially as I walk the back roads of my town near the church, I just find that quite beautiful in a kind of a working class urban grey sense.

As a fellow non-believer I'm inclined to also oppose it in principle. I don't believe the State broadcaster should endorse any religion but they have tried within their own limited way to bring it more up to date in a 'lets make this a more pluralist and secular yet spiritual moment for reflection that doesn't point to or endorse any one religion' kind of way rather than photos of Catholic icons as they used to do so I suppose that's some kind of progress in a uniquely Irish way :rolleyes:

They seem to make a point of showing lots of people with different skin tones and nationalities so I guess that's RTE's way of being inclusive and pluralistic (the idea of doing away with it entirely because of objections from atheists or non-Catholics is still beyond the pale for them clearly :D)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yes and they shouldnt dedicate three hours of air time to the damn youth rally thing in Madrid on a Sunday morning either ffs. Non of the BBC channels were doing it - what demand is there to watch it in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Sure didn't Daft Punk sample it for the intro to Aerodynamic:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Scrap RTE and its 'tax' instead.

Advertisement