Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of the angelus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

It can stay if they implement a similiar thing for muslims/jew/hindus/non believers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Its one minute of prime time television, rte could be earning 20,000 each week from advertising instead of some religious crap

• Registered Users Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gullible superstition should have no place in a modern world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I was at the Tall Ships festival in Waterford last month. There was an amazing buzz about the place, everyone having a really good time and the streets were packed. As I was walking down a long the quay I passed where RTE set up a temporary studio, pretty large place. Anyway, what were they doing only blaring the angelus out of the huge 360 degree PA system they set up completely putting a killjoy on the moment.

Imagine one minute walking along hearing good music and people having the craic, then the next everything is black and white, people are moping along hunched over while the angelus plays.... Thats what it felt like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

And with rte making multi million losses each year that extra revenue would help and save the tax payer from picking up the bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I sky-plus them so they can get rid of them if they wish...i have a never ending supply to keep me going.

Seriously i dont see a problem with them, its one minute out of each day, they dont effect anyone and you can ignore them if you wish, its not like anyone is compelled to pray when they hear them, its a choice thing...do what you want when they come on.

I think it would be a step in the wrong direction to get rid of them, we've bowed to every liberal piece of busll**** thats been bandied about, theyre part of irish life whether your catholic or not. They should stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Sleepy wrote: »

Of course it does....it's called advertising.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

dilbert2 wrote: »
    .... this piece of religious propaganda shoved down our throats?

LOL. I wonder how you'd survive living somewhere this actually happened. Suppose the spirituual programme late at night a few minutes long is also shoved down your throat?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

It remains so the coffin dodgers still know what time it is during the day...should be done away with now, but this is RTE we're talking about, so it'll take 15 years or will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Maybe we should call Joe and tell him that we're from Clontarf and that the whole thing is just turrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It depends what its aim is. If it is religion based, scrap it. If it's just a moment of reflection, then maybe there's no harm.

I do agree with the point that it's 60 seconds of wasted and much-needed advertising revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Maybe we should call Joe and tell him that we're from Clontarf and that the whole thing is just turrible.

I will pay the person who does this and succeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I remember back when I was a kid, my dad would make us all shut up while the Angelus was on. If we made a sound, he'd absolutely crack up over it. Never really understood why, myself. It's not like anything exciting happens in it. And besides, the same one would be on the next day anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well the Roman Catholic Church Incorporated can pay for their fvcking advertising then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Sleepy wrote: »
    What a boring approach to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Jess16 wrote: »
    RTÉ is the national broadcaster of a predominantly Catholic country. It should be played

Just because most people in the state (including myself) are Catholic, does not mean any particular religion should be in any way "officially endorsed".

I for one am in favour of a complete schism between the church and state in this country - and when I say complete, I mean absolutely NO relationship WHATSOEVER. NO religious influence on how our country is run.

They've caused this nation enough heartbreaking pain already which people still live with today. They've caused enough BS social taboos and stigmas which make people's lives harder than they should ever need to be. This is not what Jesus intended. This is no longer his church. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

later10 wrote: »
    What a boring approach to life.
    As far as I can see there was no approach to life endorsed there, just one ridiculed.

On topic: I don't mind the angelus although I disagree with it in principle, regardless of how they try to jazz it up it is still an endorsement of Catholicism by a broadcaster that should be catering for the nation, I'd love to see the slot auctioned off, Six One News - Sponsored by CILIT BANG BANG BANG...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd love to see the slot auctioned off, Six One News - Sponsored by CILIT BANG BANG BANG...
    AFAIK RTE are already showing the maximum amount of ads they are allowed

they can't replace it with ads , so it will cost money to replace it with programs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Isn't it an ad for God?

If you think it's bad now wait until the Muslims take over and we have five calls to prayer broadcast daily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Greentopia wrote: »
    Oh look, another religion thread.

And yes, be gone bong.
    Oh look. Another 'Oh look another religion thread' comment.:pac:
    I voted 'Yes' but to be honest I really dont give a particular large monkeys. I dont really watch RTE that much and one minute of ding dong does not bother me.

• Advertisement

Jess16 wrote: »
    RTÉ is the national broadcaster of a predominantly a la carte cultural Catholic country the majority of whom dont know The Angelous and have no idea of its meaning. It should be played just because

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

yes, please get rid of it... a ****e discriminatory hark back to catholic dominated ireland...also get rid of the stupid 'prayer before bedtime' at the end of transmission

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Why dear Jesus is this being discussed AGAIN!?!?!?!
    Because this is boards and this is what it is for......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Keep it. It's almost a cultural thing now as well as religious and sixty seconds of a tolling bell has no ill effect on anyone.

I agree. It is a cultural oddity that sets RTÉ apart from random network that plays standard American imports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

they can't replace it with ads , so it will cost money to replace it with programs
    Just replace it with old clips of Bosco bringing his inspirational message to the world.

I'd enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I would be more offended at the prayer before bedtime. It's a serious mood killer when you're just after watching something and are getting down and dirty on the couch and then it comes on. It makes you feel so guilty that you should be getting ready for bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

RTE should be neutral, Not catholic-so in my opinion anything that makes it catholic/christian should go.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Is it acceptable that some people think that just because they're not religious that no one else should be? And what are you banging on about religious propaganda for? It's a bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

RTÉ have to pay the production company to produce the Angelus. Getting rid of it would save them money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

It's a bit odd i suppose

Advertisement