Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of the angelus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Oh look. Another 'Oh look another religion thread' comment.:pac:
    I voted 'Yes' but to be honest I really dont give a particular large monkeys. I dont really watch RTE that much and one minute of ding dong does not bother me.

Oh look another post remarking on someone who says "oh look another religion thread"
    This is getting very meta :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

RTE should get rid of their hurling coverage because I don't want to see their sport propaganda. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why isn't changing the channel when the angelus comes on an option in the poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Jess16 wrote: »
    RTÉ is the national broadcaster of a predominantly Catholic country. It should be played

Well said. Funny to see the usual certain non-believers getting all worked up and huffing/puffing as usual.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

RTE should just scrap it. It seems to me that they're too worried that it will cause outrage on the Joe Duffy show's phone lines resulting in a phone system melt-down at Montrose.

I'd say there'd be a bit of hand-wringing and the usual awl-wans would be upset, but after about a week or two nobody would remember it and it will be incorporated into an episode of Reeling in the Years, similar to the Bishop and the Nighty incident.

It's a ridiculous anachronism and I am quite surprised that it is still on RTE to be quite honest. It's like you're about to hear : "And now the Catholic News read by Sr Anne and Fr Dobbo on Télefís Éireann a h-Aon, the St. Gobnait Channel"
    Even though, in reality that's not the case. It's just a bit weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No tv station that receives state money should endorse or give preference to any one religion. Fairly simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

If you were to watch it for one minute every day for a year, thats over six hours of bongs you'd be listening to annually.

Thats a lot of bongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

http://www.fullissue.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Remote-Control.jpg

The level of preaching about things religious on AH of late is depressing. Not least because it drives atheists like myself vote to keep the Angelus just to irriate all the smug debating society sorts who spend their waking hours obsessing about the faith - however misguided - of a large percentage of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If the Irish Republic was a mainly atheistic/agnostic society, it probably would not be on but that isn't the reality.

You forget there are also extra bongs on RTE Radio too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I voted No , I'm not particularly bothered and it's only a minute out of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think we need a 'Keep it & bring back the religious pictures too while your at it' option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Morlar wrote: »
    I think we need a 'Keep it & bring back the religious pictures too while your at it' option.

Yup, what's that feeding the swans businss all about? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I can't believe at this point in the thread that 77 people still want it...

Someone should develop an angelus app for smart phones that automatically plays every evening at 6 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

smash wrote: »
    I can't believe at this point in the thread that 77 people still want it...

Bong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The Angelus has been diluted down alot in recent years, it is now really a minute of reflection, we don't have the holy pictures anymore so personally I'm not in the least bit offended by it.

I really liked it when it was one of those creepy looking mosaics/paintings of the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus because it didn't really try to give any illusions about what it was. Just some good old in your face Catholicism. Could bring that back, maybe in the form of a Bishop holding the picture while looking at the viewers sternly.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hannah2011

I'm not sure why sure why so many people are opposed to it? Sure if you have no affiliation to it, turn over to another channel. I turn over the minute I see a flicker of a football. There are several 'religious' programs on every week on many channels, you aren't forced to watch it.

Yet another thread for people to spout unintelligent drivel. Without actually giving a precise reason as to why they do or don't like it.

I would like to keep the angelus, I like the tradition of it, it reminds me of home. It's one minute of the day that I realize...okay it's 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd love to see what the ratings are like for the angelus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Get rid of the bongs. What are ye smoking....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Bing Bong ding dong ding a ling ling ling!... Be out with it! I just leave the room when I hear it. That yoke gives me a headache. Be glad to see the back of it and not on RTE Any more I can watch the 6 O'clock news in peace without that inconvenient yoke ding dong. Can't stand it when it's on. It should be long gone off the air by now! No one listens to it except the old folks. Get rid of the bongs! Long Gone Bong! Bye Bye Ding Dong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

People can still observe the angelus even if it's not on tv. Just take a minute for yourself at 6pm every day. It's not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Aldebaran wrote: »
    People can still observe the angelus even if it's not on tv. Just take a minute for yourself at 6pm every day. It's not that hard.

You can do that in your own time more like a means to reflect than pray. You don't need the angelus to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Jeez!! Its a few secs of the day!! Surely enforcing your non-beliefs on everybody is as bad as the religious freaks enforcing their beliefs on you!!

Just don't watch it!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

When I was a kid out for a walk with my gran and the angelus would to sound from the local Catholic church she always used to say 'now be quiet and say a wee prayer' so I vote No, it reminds me of my granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Aldebaran wrote: »

About as difficult as using a remote control to change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i would love for the angelus to fúck off!

but there are an awful lot of elderly people who are very reliant on their religion that i would feel a bit bad for if we took that away considering its been there all their lives.

in 20 years or so its goneski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

In theory I'd like to see the back of it as I believe there should be complete separation of church and state.

In practice, this is number 12,953 on the list of things I give a **** about.

RTE could make a few quid by ditching the TV/Radio version and having a 1550 number to dial into if you want to listen to the Angelus or making it PPV on SaorView. All money could go towards HD make-up for the newsroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I wonder how many people would want Richard Dawkins giving a minute speech at 6.00....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Hannah2011 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why sure why so many people are opposed to it? Sure if you have no affiliation to it, turn over to another channel. I turn over the minute I see a flicker of a football. There are several 'religious' programs on every week on many channels, you aren't forced to watch it.

Yet another thread for people to spout unintelligent drivel. Without actually giving a precise reason as to why they do or don't like it.

I would like to keep the angelus, I like the tradition of it, it reminds me of home. It's one minute of the day that I realize...okay it's 6pm.

mmm, there is only one minute of the day when realising that would be sensible.

It's a catholic tradition and it is on every day before the main national news so it is intrusive if you don't believe in it. It is not a religious programme, it's a call to prayer.

Advertisement