Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of the angelus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

But then the six-one news would have to change it's name!!
    They could just replace it with a minute of Nyan Cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't understand the major animosity against the Angelus, especially these days, now that the religious imagery is fairly much gone.

Where are all the threads condemning Songs Of Praise on BBC1 or Sunday Service (or whatever it's called) on RTE every Sunday? The Angelus lasts for a minute. Is that so hard to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't understand the major animosity against the Angelus, especially these days, now that the religious imagery is fairly much gone.

Where are all the threads condemning Songs Of Praise on BBC1 or Sunday Service (or whatever it's called) on RTE every Sunday? The Angelus lasts for a minute. Is that so hard to deal with?

It's the principle behind it. In a secular state, the national broadcaster should not favour or endorse any particular religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Leave it. It's another excuse I can use for not paying for a tv licence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Meh, couldn't care less, its probably the only piece of original programming on Irish tv.

Any chance we could sell the rights off to Endemol or the like and see what they can do with it. Celebrity Angelus anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

optogirl wrote: »
    It is not a religious programme, it's a call to prayer.
    Prayers aren't religious any more?

Must have missed the note from god on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

better than 60 seconds of

S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?

:rolleyes:

foxyboxer wrote: »
    better than 60 seconds of

S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?
    S'up John?
    S'up Edward?

:rolleyes:
    I actually prefer that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Bong be gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

robindch wrote: »

I think her point is that it's not just half an hour of Church music for the aurally retarded, it's a message that Catholic Ireland should stop what it's doing and spare a few moments in reverence of their Lord, and as such is a step above a simple program with religious content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

Ohh we've so totally moved on

We're so past that old stuff we used to do.

In fact we do everything we can the opposite way now just to spite the past.

When we build a house now we start with the roof, windows, then walls, last we insert a foundation under the completed walls. Simply because thats *NOT* how we used to do things and technology has made this possible

During the tiger it was all about buying big slap up houses and cars and consumer goods to help us forget about the past but now in recessionary times we must look for cheaper ways to banish any relic of the past so we turn to bashing religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

When we build a house now we start with the roof, windows, then walls, last we insert a foundation under the completed walls. Simply because thats *NOT* how we used to do things and technology has made this possible

I'm interested in learning more about this reverse house-building technology...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

Aldebaran wrote: »
    I'm interested in learning more about this reverse house-building technology...

Well ya see robots stand on top of each other and hold up the roof tiles, and so on while another crew of robots puts stuff under it. Foundations are done section by section a robot digs under the completed wall like a dog and then pours some concrete in after

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hannah2011 wrote: »
    I would like to keep the angelus, I like the tradition of it, it reminds me of home. It's one minute of the day that I realize...okay it's 6pm.
    So you like it because it's always been there and you don't own a watch or have any other way of telling what time of day it is?

If it was up to me it would be gone, it's pointless cap tipping to the catholic church, overall I don't really care I got rid of my TV years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

robindch wrote: »

Is prayer the same thing as religion?

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Is prayer the same thing as religion?

No. Is it religious? Yes

Paparazzo wrote: »
    No. Is it religious? Yes
    Even if non religious people pray?

How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's the principle behind it. In a secular state, the national broadcaster should not favour or endorse any particular religion.

So we're living in a secular state now, are we? When did that happen? ;)

What about the other religious programmes on television that actually show religious ceremonies? Why aren't they offensive?

(By the way, I'm not a believer in God so is not as if I'm trying to defend a religion that brain-washed me from a young age.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jacksprat

I used to think it was called the six-one news because it was broadcast at one o' clock and six clock..........well i'm an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

It should be removed, the poll shows that the large majority of us want it gone, and we live in a democracy.

It's not right to have one religious tune/prayer on national television and no other. Completely unfair to every other belief in the country, and there are many people with differing religions and(/or) beliefs here.

ScumLord wrote: »
    How does that work?
    Is religious all belief systems? I don't know a great deal about this.:D

What about the other religious programmes on television that actually show religious ceremonies? Why aren't they offensive?
    Bit of a difference between a program and the angelus. One is a program about a topic and the other is a big bell ringing to remind Catholics to pray.
    Is religious all belief systems? I don't know a great deal about this.:D
    Religious, spiritual it's all the same to me. Just like Christians and Muslims are pretty much the same thing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sarah? wrote: »
    It should be removed, the poll shows that the large majority of us want it gone, and we live in a democracy.

Emmm, a few people posting on a message board does not represent 'the majority'.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

So we're living in a secular state now

In a country where the majority are Catholic - as pointed out earlier in this thread.:)

Freddie59 wrote: »
    In a country where the majority are Catholic - as pointed out earlier in this thread.:)
    Lapse Catholics that barely go to church and are probably going to hell if held to the exact standards of the church.

Let the government enact a strict Catholic regime and see how many people actually want to live a Catholic life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

Emmm, a few people posting on a message board does not represent 'the majority'.:rolleyes:

Of course not, but the majority of us don't pause, and look thoughtfully upwards at 6.00pm every day, yet RTE feel the need to show people doing exactly that, even though a lot of us don't want to watch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

ScumLord wrote: »
    Lapse Catholics that barely go to church and are probably going to hell if held to the exact standards of the church.

Let the government enact a strict Catholic regime and see how many people actually want to live a Catholic life.

Now thats a poll waiting to happen... tempted....hmmmmmm:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

you mean hope, not pray. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

A country where a bare and dwindling majority call them selves catholic (even though they dont observe much of catholicism) because of a ritual their parents carried out upon them when a few months old... yeah..:rolleyes:

Advertisement