Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of the angelus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

To be honest, I think this is less to do with the Angelus and more to do with whinging opportunists simply waiting to grind their axe.

Seriously, to what extent can a meagre two minutes per day actually impact on someone's life? And if it does, why are you watching in the first place?

It seems we're all too willing to go out of our way to cater for minority groups in this country yet people are pilloried for wanting to support our own culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ScumLord wrote: »
    Lapse Catholics that barely go to church and are probably going to hell if held to the exact standards of the church.
    If the church was held to the exact standards of the church no sinner need fear hellfire, they can just stand on the heads of the priests.
    Jess16 wrote: »
    our own culture
    What it supposedly stood for, morality and spiritualism, may have been a part of our culture once, but what the church actually stands for is not part of our culture, and never has been.

I'll come clean here, I'm a spiritual man. I believe that we are more than the sum of our parts, and that something of us persists after we depart this mortal coil. What happens then, I don't know, I've studied every major religion and quite a few that I doubt anyone reading this thread has even heard of. No doubt that will curl many a lip, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I don't genuinely think anyone has the right answer, not the Buddhists, the Hindus, the Christians, nor the Muslims. Is there an all powerful god? I don't know.

What I do know is that the self perpetuating financial corporation that is the Catholic church doesn't represent any god I'd like to pray to, and I don't understand how any right thinking person could imagine otherwise.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,231 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

But if we got rid of the angelus the six one news would end up being at six o'clock? Anarchy would surely be the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Get rid! I hate the angelus with a passion. Awful sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

To be honest, I think this is less to do with the Angelus and more to do with whinging opportunists simply waiting to grind their axe.

Seriously, to what extent can a meagre two minutes per day actually impact on someone's life? And if it does, why are you watching in the first place?

It seems we're all too willing to go out of our way to cater for minority groups in this country yet people are pilloried for wanting to support our own culture

Minority groups, I don't think so. Seriously how many people actually believe in a god anymore.

Sure the census might say the majority are catholic but that's because mammys all over Ireland fill it in for their precious little god believing children.

I have to say I lose respect for a young person who believes in god, are they really that thick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't see the relevance to be honest of that in terms of this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Get rid of it. And the dam bongs at 12.00 noon on Radio One. Bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I don't genuinely think anyone has the right answer, not the Buddhists, the Hindus, the Christians, nor the Muslims. Is there an all powerful god? I don't know.
    And that's part of the problem with most religion, they basically stopped looking for god and accepted what they where told no matter how much it flew in the face of what actually happens in gods world. Science is the closest anyone will get to understanding god, should he exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Don't know if this has been said already but Ireland and Iran are the only two countries in the world that have a televised call to prayer.

I'm not religious at all,but I don't think it should go - its always been there and it doesn't do any harm,apart from maybe offending ultra-atheists.

BTW The sound of church bells can be pleasant but I never seem to hear them anywhere these days..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,231 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have to say I lose respect for a young person who believes in god, are they really that thick

I'm an atheist but believing in god is perfectly fine and not something that should earn a lack of respect. I'm friends with people who genuinely think come dine with me is a good tv show and thats way way way worse than believing in god IMO :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ScumLord wrote: »
    Science is the closest anyone will get to understanding god, should he exist.
    Sure, but science is unlikely to discover either eternal life or the secrets of the afterlife, should they exist, before I get there, so you have to make up your own mind at this stage of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Minority groups, I don't think so. Seriously how many people actually believe in a god anymore.

Sure the census might say the majority are catholic but that's because mammys all over Ireland fill it in for their precious little god believing children.

Do you realise how ridicilous you sound?

Tens of thousands of years of human civilization, billions of people who have lived on earth throughout history, trying to figure out the answer to the question...

"Is there A God?"

... and you have the final conclusive answer?!

In fairness I could put this response to many posts on this site day-in, day-out but it wouldn't really make a difference.

You CAN'T possibly know now, you WON'T possibly know ever.

You claim to know the answer to the Big Question... are you really that thick?

Sure, but science is unlikely to discover either eternal life or the secrets of the afterlife, should they exist, before I get there, so you have to make up your own mind at this stage of the game.

Well we don't have to make up our minds at this stage at all really though do we, since there's no way of knowing, whatever will be will be and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Its frikin amazing, how will all the actually serious problems we have in this country, some people would have to find a problem with the Angelus being played on tv, which I will add you dont have to watch. Its about as silly now when there as hype over taking down a nativity in the hospital and so on. People are just looking to argue over religion simple as. And it amazes me how they pick the least most important aspects.

Most important aspects: The clerical abuse, that is something to be raging over and right too. Its horrendous.

But having the angelus and nativity sets in public?? Its no harm to anyone, no is forced to sit in front of either, and yet there are those in society who would bring such things to court and that is fact. Riddiculous. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Its frikin amazing, how will all the actually serious problems we have in this country, some people would have to find a problem with the Angelus being played on tv, which I will add you dont have to watch. Its about as silly now when there as hype over taking down a nativity in the hospital and so on. People are just looking to argue over religion simple as. And it amazes me how they pick the least most important aspects.

Most important aspects: The clerical abuse, that is something to be raging over and right too. Its horrendous.

But having the angelus and nativity sets in public?? Its no harm to anyone, no is forced to sit in front of either, and yet there are those in society who would bring such things to court and that is fact. Riddiculous. :rolleyes:

Would you be annoyed if there was Muslim religious symbols everywhere?

Anyway, we're a republic, that means that no religion is given any preference. Anything that receives state money cannot endorse any religion, it's indisputable.

Is it the most important issue at the moment..Of course not. It doesn't mean people can't have a view on it.

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Do you realise how ridicilous you sound?

Tens of thousands of years of human civilization, billions of people who have lived on earth throughout history, trying to figure out the answer to the question...

"Is there A God?"

... and you have the final conclusive answer?!

In fairness I could put this response to many posts on this site day-in, day-out but it wouldn't really make a difference.

You CAN'T possibly know now, you WON'T possibly know ever.

You claim to know the answer to the Big Question... are you really that thick?

When did I claim to know the answer?

Show me some proof of god. What if I started going on about my invisible friend simon who I talk to in my head, yeah you'd think I was crazy. Thats what I think of religious people.

To be honest I wouldn't give a damn about religion but its forced into my life, just like the angelus. Why should I have to baptise my kids to make sure they get accepted into a school, why should my kids be taught religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Angelus is really at the bottom of the list of things I care about in this country.

It's a prominent Catholic country, let the Catholics have their one minute of television.

The only thing I see people do with it anyways is bless themselves when it comes on. Hardly an oppressing movement against the rest of us.

Anyway, we're a republic, that means that no religion is given any preference. Anything that receives state money cannot endorse any religion, it's indisputable.

Could you provide a link to back up that "indisputable" statement.

Is it in our constitution... or... where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Get rid of it and while we're at it, lets do away with the Catholic schools, alcohol bans on 'Good Friday' and anything else involving religion and state.
    I've no problem with people practicing religion but let them do it on their own accord.

It's called life experience. Just because it has never happened to you doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Maybe you're not aware that a lot of schools are still owned and run by the church.
    In some places bishops get the final say on teacher positions so good luck getting a job as a teacher if you're an atheist.

Religion should be a personal thing so its about time our government and schools had nothing to do with it

• Advertisement

When did I claim to know the answer?

Show me some proof of god. What if I started going on about my invisible friend simon who I talk to in my head, yeah you'd think I was crazy. Thats what I think of religious people.

To be honest I wouldn't give a damn about religion but its forced into my life, just like the angelus. Why should I have to baptise my kids to make sure they get accepted into a school, why should my kids be taught religion?

You obviously do care a bit about Religion if you see the Angelus on TV and your kids learning about Religion in school as some sort of a major problem.

Relax and go with the flow, the education system under R Quinn will see significant secularisation over the next while.

There are more important things to be worrying about, like the fact that your kids will be paying massive taxes (if they manage to get a job) because of leadership failures in political and financial institutions over the last few years.

What I do know is that the self perpetuating financial corporation that is the Catholic church doesn't represent any god I'd like to pray to, and I don't understand how any right thinking person could imagine otherwise.

And I can't understand why anyone would watch Eastenders but there you go. This isn't about us and our individual preferences, it's about majority rule taking precedence, which is a basic principle of human living.

And until the 2011 census figures are published, then Catholicism presides as the clear majority here in Ireland Therefore its customs and beliefs are the ones that are predominantly practiced and mirrored in our society, whilst others are fairly acknowledged,tolerated and afforded every opportunity for assimilation.

Of course not all people belong to the Catholic faith but unless they wish to devote themselves to endlessly fighting the power, they should learn to simply accept the dominant traditions of their environment or reside somewhere where their choices are prioritised.

Essentially, as long as there is human decision, there will be a complex and unequal distribution of preference. Since it isn't feasible to cater to all tastes in the manner which people want, we deal with this by prioritising the majority whilst being inclusive of the minority.

This is a fair and considered sociological practice and if there's a better proposal, I think it would have been implemented by now.

You obviously do care a bit about Religion if you see the Angelus on TV and your kids learning about Religion in school as some sort of a major problem.

Relax and go with the flow, the education system under R Quinn will see significant secularisation over the next while.

There are more important things to be worrying about, like the fact that your kids will be paying massive taxes (if they manage to get a job) because of leadership failures in political and financial institutions over the last few years.

You're good at putting words in my mouth, I never said it was a major problem. Its an annoyance if and when I think about it but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

And I said I wouldn't care about religion if it wasn't inflicted on me, I don't care about what people want to believe in as long as it doesn't affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

When someone under the age of 30 tells me they are religious my first thought usually is "whats wrong here" and I look for the deficiency.. either emotional or intellectual.. but it's always their..sometimes it's just an inability to think independently .. sometimes it's not their fault .. but their is no denying it ..

I think we should leave it their for now .. for the old folks and all that .. but it is really disturbing that out national broadcaster which we are taxed to fund can have something so insulting and discriminating on tv everyday..

k.p.h wrote: »
    When someone under the age of 30 tells me they are religious my first thought usually is "whats wrong here" and I look for the deficiency.. either emotional or intellectual.. but it's always their..sometimes it's just an inability to think independently .. sometimes it's not their fault .. but their is no denying it ..

I think we should leave it their for now .. for the old folks and all that .. but it is really disturbing that out national broadcaster which we are taxed to fund can have something so insulting and discriminating on tv everyday..

Are you deliberately mis-using the word "their" to get a rise? because it's working :pac:

And I can't understand why anyone would watch Eastenders but there you go. This isn't about us and our individual preferences, it's about majority rule taking precedence, which is a basic principle of human living.

And until the 2011 census figures are published, then Catholicism presides as the clear majority here in Ireland Therefore its customs and beliefs are the ones that are predominantly practiced and mirrored in our society, whilst others are fairly acknowledged,tolerated and afforded every opportunity for assimilation.

Of course not all people belong to the Catholic faith but unless they wish to devote themselves to endlessly fighting the power, they should learn to simply accept the dominant traditions of their environment or reside somewhere where their choices are prioritised.

Essentially, as long as there is human decision, there will be a complex and unequal distribution of preference. Since it isn't feasible to cater to all tastes in the manner which people want, we deal with this by prioritising the majority whilst being inclusive of the minority.

This is a fair and considered sociological practice and if there's a better proposal, I think it would have been implemented by now.

That's a load of rubbish.

So in america black people should of just "accepted the individual preferences of the dominant traditions" of the white people because they were the majority and all moved to a different place to leave the white people in peace?

"Since it isn't feasible to cater to all tastes in the manner which people want"
    Of course It is feasible, individual preferences should be exactly that, individual.

You are one of the most ignorant people I've ever come across.

"I think" I think you should stop thinking before you type some more utter rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I can't say I care that much but it's the principle of the matter. Most people don't care about the minute but they're fully entitled to think that the state should be free of all religion including the ding dong.
    Let all the Catholics get their tape players out and play the thing recorded of the TV or better yet buy their own bell, so they can do create their godly sound - maybe go for two minutes if they're feeling mad. Point is if their faith is strong enough then it won't be an issue either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Republic of Ireland is the hint.

A republic doesn't give any preference to any religion.

That's a load of rubbish.

So in america black people should of just "accepted the individual preferences of the dominant traditions" of the white people because they were the majority and all moved to a different place to leave the white people in peace?

"Since it isn't feasible to cater to all tastes in the manner which people want"
    Of course It is feasible, individual preferences should be exactly that, individual.

You are one of the most ignorant people I've ever come across.

"I think" I think you should stop thinking before you type some more utter rubbish

Do you actually have any substantial point to make, besides attacking and misquoting me to push your own misguided agenda?

My points on equality of opportunity, tolerance and inclusivity have clearly sailed right over your head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

These kind of threads are fun if you just read the first post and then a random post from the last page. You can turn it into a little game and try to guess how the thread progressed from asking if The Angelus should be banned to talking about the struggle of black people in America.

Advertisement