Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarships

• 21-08-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

What scholarships are available for colleges in Ireland if you are not on any benefits and you pay the Leaving Cert fees? I want to do Medicine and I was just wondering if I could get any scholarships depending on my results (only going into 5th year at the moment). I am not in a fee paying school but it's not a VEC school or a disadvantaged school.
    Are there any scholarships available to me and what points would I need? And are there any scholarships for the UK?
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Certain colleges give certain scholarships/awards for people who score a certain number of points. It depends on the college.

Other than that there are few if any scholarships if you're not from a designated disadvantage school/in receipt of a grant/ have a medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Like the poster above said it varies from college to college. If you check out a prospectus it will say what they offer.
    Also, if you do Bio,Chem,Physics,App maths and engineering (or 3 or 4 of them at least) you could look into the Naughton Foundation scholarship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

If you get 560 or more you get some grade off NUIG if you go there. I think the criteria are different for med students though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Due to the fact that Medicine attracts a lot of high points candidates you generally have to get 600 to get a scholarship within Medicine (although I'd say it could be 10 or 20 points less in some places). Some colleges offer very small rewards for getting over 500 or 550. After that it depends on your college exam results. Do very well in them and you could recieve a scholarship.

Advertisement