Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is an 'established' person?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 12:03am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't sure where to put this, I'm trying to get a VAT number and people on this forum have probably dont that before.

Basically, I'm trying to get a VAT number and the website has this to say about it:

What is the turnover threshold for VAT registration?

The principal thresholds applicable are as follows:

(a) €37,500 in the case of persons supplying services,
    (b) €37,500 for persons supplying goods liable at the reduced or standard rates which they have manufactured or produced from zero rated materials,
    (c) €37,500 for persons making mail-order or distance sales into the State,
    (d) €41,000 for persons making intra-Community acquisitions,
    (e) €75,000 for persons supplying goods,
    (f) €75,000 for persons supplying both goods and services where 90% or more of the turnover is derived from supplies of goods (other than of the kind referred to at (b) above) and
    (g) A non-established person supplying taxable goods or services in the State is obliged to register and account for VAT irrespective of the level of turnover.

Up until G I was thinking I don't have to register at all. But I've no idea what a non-established person is.

Can anyone enlighten me? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Established/Non-established simply refers to whether or not an individual/business has a permanent base established within the state for the purposes of filing tax returns etc. At a guess an individual is established if Ireland is their principle resident state for the filing tax returns.

See: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/foreign-suppliers.html

Advertisement