Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakin while house alarm was off

Options
  • 22-08-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with claiming for a break-in on house insurance when the alarm was off?

Basically, if your house insurance mentions that you have an alarm, but it wasn't on at the time of the break-in, will the insurance company pay out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Varies from company to company.

Best to read your policy or call them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If you received a discount for having the alarm then not having it switched on during the break in it may well negate your claim.

If you didnt receive any alarm discount you are sound.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Also AFAIK it depends on what sort of house alarm you have. Most insurance companies only give discounts for monitored alarm systems like eircom phonewatch or the like. If it's just one of those boxes on the wall that makes a noise then in their view it's the same as not having one.

I just had a look at my policy document there now and it says in the case of a monitored alarm discount being applied, the alarm must be switched on at all times when the dwelling is unoccupied. I'd say ring your insurance company and confirm exactly what the conditions of the policy are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

The best people to answer your question is your insurance company. I have seen some refuse to pay if the alarm was off and your claiming the alarm discount. A monitored or non monitored alarm will get a discount. Monitored will get a bigger discount. If the alarm was installed to the EN50131 standards then it needs to be services every year to be up to the standard your claiming it to be. If not some will also refuse your claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

if you were unfortunate enough to suffer a break in and the alarm was found to be faulty or not turned on while the house was unoccupied your policy may be void .You get a small deduction for having an alarm. However I personally would not state I have a working alarm at the property. Pay the little extra and have piece of mind.( I have often forgot to turn on the alarm when going out) and if I had a break in after paying the premium. I would want to be reinbursed for losses and would not take the risk of not been insured or my claim been disputed by the provider.

Read the TandC of the policy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement