Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dealing with rude people

Options
  • 22-08-2011 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Working in a shop has made me realise how much I hate dealing with people. I find its men over 40 are the worse to deal with the slightest problem or interruption to their daily routine and they make it out to be a disaster. People complain about the prices of things as if it’s my fault, I only work on a till I don’t own the shop!!! and kids are so rude too I refused to serve a teenager as he was being so obnoxious and I’m the one that gets reprimanded. . . country’s ruined and it’s no wonder judging by the people that I’ve to deal with everyday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ior213 wrote: »
    Working in a shop has made me realise how much I hate dealing with people. I find its men over 40 are the worse to deal with the slightest problem or interruption to their daily routine and they make it out to be a disaster. People complain about the prices of things as if it’s my fault, I only work on a till I don’t own the shop!!! and kids are so rude too I refused to serve a teenager as he was being so obnoxious and I’m the one that gets reprimanded. . . country’s ruined and it’s no wonder judging by the people that I’ve to deal with everyday

Not sure how this is a work problem, seems more a rant but i totally agree, from my 3 stint in retail getting crap off customers all day and still have to be polite and smile and all for little over minimum wage -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Annoyed.com

rude people? i could write a book on rude people especially after this latest incident which happened friday(10th of feb) in the supermarket i work in, we hav a strict policy on what i.d. a person can use in order to buy alcohol the only id we accept is passport or the garda age card. this girl and her friends came up to my checkout to buy alcohol, i asked them for id as this is procedure this girl handed me some student id card which ive never seen in my life before and i said im sorry we can only accept a passport or the garda age card, to which she started roaring at me: IM FROM THE NORTH OF IRELAND WHY WOULD I HAVE YOUR GARDA CARD????????? i tryed to explain that this is store policy but she started yelling IM 26 YEARS OF AGE I HAV WRINKLES, I GO TO QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST (named out all the degrees she had) AND I DONT NEED TO TAKE THIS FROM JUST A CHECKOUT ASSISTANT. she yelled at me and the manager for about 45 mintues. if this is what education and spending most your life in college does to a person then im glad im thick and never bothered with uni or anything like that. it just goes to show you no matter how much money your parents spend on college and your education you still cant buy or learn manners. there is alot to be said for the people of long ago that couldnt read or write but still had manners and travelled the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Working in a shop has made me realise how much I hate dealing with people.
    I find being super nice pissed them off more; it's great :D And you can't be reprimanded for being nice :P
    she started yelling
    I find that when people start yelling, it's usually because they know they're wrong. Heck, I'd even say the ID was fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

OP, head over to ranting and raving forum

There is a Cries of Retail thread that has the potential to be edited into a book

It's years old by now, thousands of posts of the abuse we lowly paid and under-appreciated workers get from customers

Usually by people who never worked one of these jobs

The soundest customers are ordinary working people who know how tough it can be

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IM FROM THE NORTH OF IRELAND WHY WOULD I HAVE YOUR GARDA CARD????????? i tryed to explain that this is store policy but she started yelling IM 26 YEARS OF AGE I HAV WRINKLES, I GO TO QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST (named out all the degrees she had) AND I DONT NEED TO TAKE THIS FROM JUST A CHECKOUT ASSISTANT. she yelled at me and the manager for about 45 mintues.

Maybe you need to start a discussion with your manager about how they would like to deal with such people in the future.

You cannot say it, of course, but if your manager was worth even a 1/4 of what s/he is paid, yer one would have been out of the shop within 5 minutes (tops) or the guards called. Maybe you could help him/her to plan to do it better next time. ;)

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Maybe you need to start a discussion with your manager about how they would like to deal with such people in the future.

You cannot say it, of course, but if your manager was worth even a 1/4 of what s/he is paid, yer one would have been out of the shop within 5 minutes (tops) or the guards called. Maybe you could help him/her to plan to do it better next time. ;)

im bringing it up with them today, hope they listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tom Harward

you have to cope with this situation, you can't change everybody! thats of course not right but what can we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

To be honest IF her ID card was not fake (just if) I can understand her rant.
    I'm not from Ireland, have no passport (it's Europe, national IDs have to be accepted everywhere) or Gardai age card. At 28 it would be ridiculous to carry an age card with me.
    I wouldn't have made a fuss like that person but I certainly wouldn't have been happy and had left the store buying my alcohol somewhere where ppl know which EU identification methods are valid.

That said, student IDs aren't.

Chessala wrote: »
    To be honest IF her ID card was not fake (just if) I can understand her rant.
    I'm not from Ireland, have no passport (it's Europe, national IDs have to be accepted everywhere) or Gardai age card. At 28 it would be ridiculous to carry an age card with me.
    I wouldn't have made a fuss like that person but I certainly wouldn't have been happy and had left the store buying my alcohol somewhere where ppl know which EU identification methods are valid.

That said, student IDs aren't.

i was just following the store policy and there was no need for her to start ranting and raving and belittle me infront of everyone in the store, in fairness she looked nowhere near the age of 26 but we have to id everyone as the guards send in underage people to do a ''stinger'' test which if we dont aask everyone for the id and they are underage and if its a stinger operation the store will be shut down, lose its liesense to sell drink and id get jail so no matter how much someone roars at me im not going to back down on this issue cause there is too much at stake and i would have thought someone with degrees would be able understand this?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's the middle aged women that are far worse. The best way to deal with it is to act as if you're on their side, agree with them that it's shocking 'but sure what can I do haha' that kind of attitude. It is far better than being the target for their vitriol in the end.

• Advertisement

It's the middle aged women that are far worse. The best way to deal with it is to act as if you're on their side, agree with them that it's shocking 'but sure what can I do haha' that kind of attitude. It is far better than being the target for their vitriol in the end.

I hate to say this but women are the worst customers the older they are the crankier and more contarier they are, its like all they do is come in to the shop to complain about every single thing my god if im like that when im older id like someone to take me out and shoot me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mrval

Smile makes other people pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clairebearxxx

that was horrible!!!! i feel your pain !!!! your manager should have backed you up. i'm a manager in retail and we have company polices to follow. if my staff have a customer which starts having a go i always step in as i dont see why my staff should be shouted at it drives me mad!!!!! and i dont tolerate it. I just calmly ( and which a smile on my face) explain the policy they have an issue with and why we follow it and apologise for the inconvience it may be causing them. if they still go on i give them our headoffice number to contact :) smile at all times :) even if you want to jump over the counter and body slam them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

People been rude usually are just trying to get a rise out of you so they have one more thing to add to their list of crap to complain about. I just go overboard with the niceness and dont show them there getting to you. Keep repeating my self in the nicest possible way until the battle of the will is over and they give up as there getting nowhere with me :) I don't work in retail though and id only have deal with people the odd time and over the phone.

Honestly I feel sorry for people like that who get in a fit over the smallest things and their only source of amusement is too take it out on a person just doing their job. They live a sad existence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Plenty of assholes around :P

One of the funniest ones I heard was when we were trying to kick this guy out of the club at the end of the night and he was getting increasingly annoying as he fobbed us off and when I eventually told him he had to leave he said "Jesus Christ! Would you just leave me alone! I'm a doctor, I'm a doctor up in CUH (cork university hospital)!"

that was horrible!!!! i feel your pain !!!! your manager should have backed you up. i'm a manager in retail and we have company polices to follow. if my staff have a customer which starts having a go i always step in as i dont see why my staff should be shouted at it drives me mad!!!!! and i dont tolerate it. I just calmly ( and which a smile on my face) explain the policy they have an issue with and why we follow it and apologise for the inconvience it may be causing them. if they still go on i give them our headoffice number to contact :) smile at all times :) even if you want to jump over the counter and body slam them :)

you sound like a very nice manager, in the shop i work in managers always take the customers side even when the customer is wrong which they always are wrong. theres days(like today) when i find it hard to make it out the door to go home without thumping some stupid customer :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 massey168

you sound like a very nice manager, in the shop i work in managers always take the customers side even when the customer is wrong which they always are wrong. theres days(like today) when i find it hard to make it out the door to go home without thumping some stupid customer :(:(

It's often easier said than done, but no matter how they try to esclate it, I often pride myself on being able to stay calmer, more polite, and more self controlled than they ever can. Let them finish venting and run out of steam, and then politely explain the policy again in different words / another way. Sometimes you may have to say " I can see your point of view, but the thing is we have to . . . ."

Advertisement