Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing level 8

Options
  • 22-08-2011 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

So that was my offer. Anyone on here do the course or doing it at the moment?
    I'm just wondering basically
    1) is it a good course?
    2) What's the atmosphere like around the college?
    and 3) Should I not mention the fact I'm a Bohs fan? :cool:

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Oh, is there a subway nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rinleezwins

I also got offered a level 8 computing and a level 7. I am starting to hesitate about level 8, since level 7 gives you an ordinary degree and then you can do a follow-up year to get the honours... so what'ś the point of level 8 if you can fail in the very last year and get no qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

BOHtox wrote: »
    3) Should I not mention the fact I'm a Bohs fan? :cool:

Too late :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

So that was my offer. Anyone on here do the course or doing it at the moment?
    I'm just wondering basically
    1) is it a good course?
    2) What's the atmosphere like around the college?
    and 3) Should I not mention the fact I'm a Bohs fan? :cool:

cheers

Give a search, plenty of threads on here which I've posted in about Computing course.

Atmosphere is good craic, especially during freshers' week and the likes.

And well if I see a Bohs jersey in college in September I'll say hi! *cough* Scum *cough* :D
    Oh, is there a subway nearby?

One in the Square is the closet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I did the computing level 8 a few years ago. Got myself a great education from it. Very concrete and applicable to the real world circumstances i've experienced in the workplace.

A few points, might be obvious but the were the backbone lessons that I didnt know going in!.

-Its a great education except for perhaps 20-25% of the lecturers you'll have. The majority are passionate, hard working, technically minded and good people. A few, mostly the long term tenured ones, are self admiring whingers who cant teach for ****. You can tell the difference simply by who seems to be ok to ask a question in private at the end of the class, and which ones put you to sleep, and which ones just go to labs(practical work sessions) just to hand out sheets or read a example of the interweb.

-Most people from the start will drop out and fail. So branch out and make plenty of friends. good friends you can chill with but also ones you can work with. its a 4 year grind, Its important to have some friends throughout, but as the years progress and the class gets smaller, you get to know more people inherently.

-Group work is a nightmare often. Find 4-5 good works and team with them. These people do not have to be your close friends. Infact, it caused issues often in my class and friends were lost due to bad working practices. Hard to lunch with a person who is adding a ton of work and bad grades to your life.
    If you find a good group to work with. It becomes a easy breeze and quite enjoyable. New ideas and good experience.

-The college atmosphere is laid back and quite enjoyable. The food sucks but the fun at lunch gets u through it :D. Canteen staff were lovely.

-The management behind the computing course i found both helpful and dedicated to the improvement and support of the students.

-The student union support is fantastic to those that need it.

-Dont skimp in the non technical subjects as they still count to your grade the same as the important technical ones. Programming is the backbone of the course and if you learn to do it well. Dont avoid ANY of the hard parts and stay ahead of the course and you will fly through this course and the super large projects you need to build. I left with multiple job offers and i owe it all to hard work of technical skills, many LONG days after hours, and the hard work of the great lecturers in the course.

Its a great course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Decent enough yeah. The SDEV lecturer Stephen Howell won't acknowledge anyone who isn't the best of the best. So get ahead on that subject. Maths is pretty easy despite what you'll get warned. The Students who do computing aren't really that outgoing from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Decent enough yeah. The SDEV lecturer Stephen Howell won't acknowledge anyone who isn't the best of the best. So get ahead on that subject. Maths is pretty easy despite what you'll get warned. The Students who do computing aren't really that outgoing from my experience.

With Howell you wish you didnt notice you, do everything correct he will still find something wrong lol :P

Advertisement