Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over the points and met the requirements but didn't get in?

• 22-08-2011 7:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I'm so confused by this :/

I met the requirements and everything of my third choice but got offered my 6th instead? Anyone have any clue why this was so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

I am the same I was over 80 points clear of my first choice but ended up getting my 18th (level 7)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What courses are they and what were your grades

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

I got 4 distinctions and 5 merits in a FETAC level 5 course and wanted to do Transport Operations & Technology DT028.

The points for that course this year were 255.

I don't know what that adds up to sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

The course I thought I'd get was 355, LM045 - Languages, Lit and Film in Ul but the one I got accepted into was 365, DN500 - Arts and they usually only take people with over 400 points (says on website).

My grades were:
    B3 - HL - English
    B3 - OL - Maths
    C1 - HL - Art
    C1 - HL - History
    C2 - HL - Music
    D2 - HL - French

I got 365 points in total, more then what was needed for UL :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Check the course requirements......have you got all the correct subjects for the course?

If you have all the right subjects, make sure you have calculated your points correctly.

If you still think you should have received an offer contact the Admissions Office of the College and request further information.

Added my points again: Exactly 365

Here are the entry requirement: (I'd be majoring in English btw)

Entry Requirements

Applicants are required to hold at the time of enrolment the established Leaving Certificate (or an approved equivalent) with at least Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in four Ordinary or Higher Level subjects (including Mathematics; Irish or another language; and English).
    In addition applicants are required to hold at least the following in the Leaving Certificate, or an approved equivalent: Grade C3 at Higher Level in their major subject, i.e. English or French or German or Gaeilge or Spanish. In the case of Spanish and German for Beginners as major subject, applicants are required to hold at least Grade C3 at higher level in one modern language.

So I still don't understand. I contacted cao and I'll contact admissions later.

Only thing I can see is that did you accidentally say you'd want to major in French

And we don't actually sign up for what we're majoring in till orientation or whenever we start. So there couldn't have been that mix up really?

Not sure then,contact them

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Not sure then,contact them

Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

Aragneer wrote: »
    The course I thought I'd get was 355, LM045 - Languages, Lit and Film in Ul but the one I got accepted into was 365, DN500 - Arts and they usually only take people with over 400 points (says on website).

My grades were:
    B3 - HL - English
    B3 - OL - Maths
    C1 - HL - Art
    C1 - HL - History
    C2 - HL - Music
    D2 - HL - French

UCD arts is 355, the 400 you are referring to is the average score of people on the course

Was just on the phone to admissions at UL :) The woman said I should have got in so she's going to go see what she can do and then phone me back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My grades were:
    B3 - HL - English
    B3 - OL - Maths
    C1 - HL - Art
    C1 - HL - History
    C2 - HL - Music
    D2 - HL - French

Added my points again: Exactly 365

Here are the entry requirement: (I'd be majoring in English btw)

Entry Requirements

Applicants are required to hold at the time of enrolment the established Leaving Certificate (or an approved equivalent) with at least Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in four Ordinary or Higher Level subjects (including Mathematics; Irish or another language; and English).
    In addition applicants are required to hold at least the following in the Leaving Certificate, or an approved equivalent: Grade C3 at Higher Level in their major subject, i.e. English or French or German or Gaeilge or Spanish. In the case of Spanish and German for Beginners as major subject, applicants are required to hold at least Grade C3 at higher level in one modern language.

So I still don't understand. I contacted cao and I'll contact admissions later.

You got a D in French. You needed at least a C3 I assume that's the problem.

Also your point about Arts only take people above 400. I don't think you understand the points system. Arts in UCD has 1200 places. They offer the top 1200 people who meet requirements a place. The person who was bottom of that list of 1200 in terms of points sets the benchmark for points. Last year that was 400 meaning everyone got at least 400 who got into the course. This year the 1200th person who met requirements got 360 or 340 or whatever the points were.

I phoned the office and apparentely there were a few problems with the course requirements so they're trying to sort that out and we'll see what happens :)

I also accidentally read the things wrong so I'm sorry about that :L I do understand the points :L Sorry for that ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

Last year that was 400 meaning everyone got at least 400 who got into the course. This year the 1200th person who met requirements got 360 or 340 or whatever the points were.

Last year it was 365 in first column and 400 in second.

Does that not mean that everyone on the course last year got at least 365, (last person got 365)?

At least that's what you seem to say. You say that the last person this year got 355, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Also your point about Arts only take people above 400. I don't think you understand the points system. Arts in UCD has 1200 places. They offer the top 1200 people who meet requirements a place. The person who was bottom of that list of 1200 in terms of points sets the benchmark for points. Last year that was 400 meaning everyone got at least 400 who got into the course. This year the 1200th person who met requirements got 360 or 340 or whatever the points were.

It says English either and he got a B3 in that, so it can't be that.

Last year it was 365 in first column and 400 in second.

Does that not mean that everyone on the course last year got at least 365, (last person got 365)?

At least that's what you seem to say. You say that the last person this year got 355, right?

Yes, if the points are 365, then everyone on 365 or above got offered a place if they met the subject and grade requirements. So if the points are 355 this year, then everyone on 355 or above got offered a place.

Well there's one of two reasons for the two different points scores. When the points are published, they usually publish minimum points (365) and median points (400) which is the points scored by the middle person on the list of those offered places. This just gives you an idea of the range of points scores of people on the course.

The other list you will see in about a week is First Round points and Second Round points. Second Round is either the same (no extra offers made) or lower where some offers were made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That's what I thought too at first glance, rb, but it includes English ("Grade C3 at Higher Level in their major subject, i.e. English or ...") and OP got a B3 at HL.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it wouldn't be the first thing to-night, I'm very tired.

Assuming not though, my guess is that when the CAO programme was being set up, this is exactly what was missed ... English wasn't included in the list of languages in which a C3 or higher qualified the person (easy to happen, as there are lots of courses which require an hon. in a modern language and it wouldn't include English in that list).

Mind you, if I'm reading it right, Aragneer is somewhat limited as he only has one choice of major subject, i.e. English, but he should be entitled to his place.

It says English either and he got a B3 in that, so it can't be that.

Ya I didn't see that earlier.. and neither did UL by the looks of it. However according to the OP, she was in contact with UL. If the mistake is rectified, then she has met requirements and should be offered a place. English is not usually on the accepted subject requirements for a language course, it just wasn't picked up by the CAO/UL. I bet she's not the only one who had this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I bet she's not the only one who had this problem.
    Yup, sounds like it ...
    I phoned the office and apparentely there were a few problems with the course requirements so they're trying to sort that out and we'll see what happens :)

"she"? ... oops!! :o

Sorry, Aragneer! >_>

Yup, sounds like it ...

"she"? ... oops!! :o

Sorry, Aragneer! >_>

Maybe not, I'm guessing she as it's a language course.... and because I've been called he on so many occasions on here! :D

Advertisement