Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the 'old' higher maths exam be in place next year?

• 22-08-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Considering repeating.
    Is it only project maths next year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jamas

I think it is only project maths as it is phased in. On a similar topic..if I go back to the CAO next year with my B1 in Honours Maths, will my points be recalculated with the bonus? Or will I stay on what I have now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

jamas wrote: »
    I think it is only project maths as it is phased in. On a similar topic..if I go back to the CAO next year with my B1 in Honours Maths, will my points be recalculated with the bonus? Or will I stay on what I have now?

No points are not carried through. If you redo LC and don't retake maths you get 0 points from it you just keep the grade as a requirement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

jamas wrote: »

Yes it will. I have written confirmation from the SEC. My Career Guidance teacher told me that if you do not repeat the LC and just apply to the CAO next year, automatically 25 points are added on.

The lad above me seems very mistaken or maybe I misunderstood his post.

Anyway, in short, if you apply to the CAO next year, you are given 25 extra points for Honours Maths if you are indeed counting maths.

Yes, that was my question, thanks. I am thinking of a gap year, and deferring my current offer, but I want to keep my options open in case life experience makes me want to do a different course, or they refuse my deferral. Just wanted to make sure I would not be at a disadvantage in August 2012, using my current LC, and now I know I would pick up the extra 25 points, so that is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Yes it will. I have written confirmation from the SEC. My Career Guidance teacher told me that if you do not repeat the LC and just apply to the CAO next year, automatically 25 points are added on.

The lad above me seems very mistaken or maybe I misunderstood his post.

Anyway, in short, if you apply to the CAO next year, you are given 25 extra points for Honours Maths if you are indeed counting maths.

I find this really hard to believe! Don't get me wrong, I hope that it's true, but maybe confirm it for yourself too OP!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

wayhey wrote: »
    I find this really hard to believe! Don't get me wrong, I hope that it's true, but maybe confirm it for yourself too OP!!

It is true. I am 100% certain as it was not only confirmed by the SEC to me, but my Career Guidance teacher assured me also.

Logically it has to be so, otherwise anyone taking a year out or wanting to change course after a year would be at a serious disadvantage. Depending how Higher Maths candidates are distributed around the different courses, points are likely to go up by 10 - 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

But bear in mind that everyone else will have said point increase as well, so it mightn't really be as useful as it seems now....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It is true. I am 100% certain as it was not only confirmed by the SEC to me, but my Career Guidance teacher assured me also.

If you do have written confirmation, I'd doubt it's from the SEC. The SEC have no involvement with points setting at all. They set the exams and give grades, but the points system is separate.

Maybe it's from the CAO?

Advertisement